“Very classy hotel..”

Vdara Hotel & Spa
Ranked #13 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here for labor day weekend. Excellent location in City Center. Vdara is one of the few luxary hotels in Vegas without a casio inside.. very modern classy hotel, with beautifully appointed rooms, views are amazing. It is attached to Bellagio hotel, so it's a quick walk.

The hotel has a nice breakfast/lunch casual restaurant in the lobby which was perfect for grabbing a breakfast.. The deluxe suite which we stayed was very nice. Felt like a upscale condo in vegas. Extremely quite room, amazing bathroom, sitting area, two 45' inch flatscreens, and 24 hour room service.. The Vdara pool was very nice as well. Great menu, expensive but tasty items.. it's get super hot in the afternoon in certain spots in the pool, so get a cabana w/ umbrella.

Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for highest room possible, and you'll get it.. amazing view, no extra charge.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
VdaraHotelSpa, Manager at Vdara Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

amer s, thanks for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us over Labor Day Weekend. We're glad to hear you enjoyed our suites, non-gaming atmosphere and most importantly, our ideal location between ARIA and Bellagio. We hope to see you back again soon!

Patricia
Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (16,214)

Reviewed September 3, 2012

The hotel is very nice. Rooms are excellent, spacious and have a kitchenette. We had a stunning view of the Bellagio fountains and Paris hotel. The only downfall for us was there was not a casino in the hotel. However, the Aria is within walking distance and had a nice casino and great restaurants. The location of the Vdara is perfect. Everything is within walking distance.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

For a quick getaway and refresher, my wife Hotwired a 5-Star Hotel in Las Vegas, and Vdara is what came up for us. We read some reviews, looked up the website, and were pretty excited... with some hesitancies about what we'd read. We stayed 3 nights and were not disappointed with our hotel, but we do agree with many of the "kinks" pointed out in other reviews.

Vdara opened in December of 2009 and still feels very new. That can be both good and bad, and we felt overwhelmingly positive about our experience.

First, the good stuff. Vdara is PEACEFUL. Everything about the place relaxes you. It is setback from The Strip, and views from the rooms on the north side of the hotel include the Bellagio Fountains, Paris hotel (and Eiffel Tower), and the stunning mountain vistas that surround the city. Quiet reigns throughout the hotel, and you don't hear doors slamming or elevator opening all day and night. There is no casino in the Vdara, so checking in doesn't require a walk past the slots and tables just to get to your room, and the entire property is smoke-free -- guests who smoke are asked to walk outside and past the Valet stand to light-up.

The spa at the hotel is terrific. My wife and I each enjoyed there services, and there are items on the menu that are specific to men. A basic manicure/pedicure for guys, for example, runs $95 for about 80 minutes, and the technician I had (Darlene) was fantastic. After my feet pounded The Strip for four days, I felt -- and looked -- like a new man. My wife enjoyed a 50-minute herbal facial for $135, and that also got her access to the rest of the spa (Jacuzzi, hot-stone seats, etc).

It was so nice to come back to this hotel each night and wind down. After spending hours at restaurants, casinos and shows, you can recharge for the next day. City Center is centrally located along The Strip, and Vdara is connected via walking bridges to Bellagio and Aria. Cosmopolitan is virtually next door, and City Center has a free monorail "tram" with stops at Monte Carlo, Aria, Crystals Shopping Center, and Bellagio if you'd rather not walk. Even Caesar's Palace is comfortable walking distance via Bellagio, and just across the boulevard are Paris and Planet Hollywood hotels and Miracle Mile shops.

Vdara is also "green." A master switch by the door in each suite cuts off power to the entire room, there are LED lights throughout, and wooden items are made from sustainable forests like bamboo. The downside of this, unfortunately, is the shower and toilet are both low-flow. Shower pressure is ok but not great, and I you get the idea of what happens with low-flow toilets.

Although there is no restaurant (currently) in Vdara, you do have some food options. There is room service, and the lobby boasts the Market Cafe -- serving prepared items and selling food and beverage items (including wine & liquor) you can prepare in your room. Items are very reasonably priced, and the Americano coffee was absolutely one of the best cups of coffee I've had. A large with two pumps of hazelnut was about $7.50, and I was quickly hooked. (M-Life gets you a discount in the Market Cafe -- bring your card!)

The design of the hotel is sleek and contemporary -- think aloft hotels. Lots of wood and brushed steel, mirrors and straight-angles. Unlike aloft, the rooms have plenty of drawers and closets to put your clothes away and are generously appointed. Even the smallest of the suites (ironically called "Deluxe") is 582 sq feet with a kitchenette, dining area, sitting area, sleeping area, and bath, and there are two flat-screen tvs (maybe 42" each?). The kitchenette includes a fridge (in addition to the minibar), microwave/convection combo, and two-burner glass stove top.

The pool at Vdara is not very big, but there are cabanas and daybeds you can rent. Cabanas also give you access to "semi-secluded plunge pools" separate from the main pool. There are many umbrellas available to provide shade if you prefer, and poolside service is available but slow on the weekends -- you'd be better off ordering at the bar a few steps away. We had read that the reflection off the buildings makes the sun unbearable, but at 1pm on a sunny day in August, we didn't experience that. What we DID experience were unbelievable gusts of wind churned up by being located between Vdara, The Cosmopolitan, and Aria. During the week, the pool was quiet and sparsely-attended.

Now for some of the negatives. While the staff is mostly friendly and polite, we often heard "there's nothing I can do" when we were turned down on some requests. Really? NOTHING you can do? That's not the typical response of a 4-Diamond property, and I hope that management takes employees through some customer service training.

The next most aggravating thing are the room curtains. They feature a motorized "blackout curtain" and Roman shades, but the windows are so long that the curtain and shades have gaps that let in the sun bright and early each morning at 6am. After a long night out, the last thing you want is to get up that early. We've stayed in other rooms in Vegas that were pitch-black with the curtains closed, and I'd like to see management address this, which was a drawback we'd read about before we arrived.

Other reviews have also mentioned that the light switches are confusing, and they are! Seems silly that the aren't marked or at least explained anywhere in the room. There are also no outlets near the bed, so if you like to charge your smartphone and use it while you lay down, you're out of luck (in the Deluxe Suite, at least). I already mentioned the downside of low-flow showers and toilets, and the bathroom also only has one sink and one towel hook.

The pool is very small compared to others on The Strip, and it's GREASY. There is no gutter/skimmer to clean it, and we saw a lot of lotion/oil floating in and on the water. The wall around the pool had a greasy film on it, too, from all the lotion and oil. Not sure how to fix that, but it was definitely gross. During the week, the pool is more like an "adult pool" at other resorts and very quiet, although on weekend afternoons there is a DJ playing club music.

Finally, for a progressive and modern hotel, Vdara has terrible WiFi service. For a $28 daily "resort fee" that is supposed to include WiFi access, the only spot where we found adequate service was in the spa. Even the lobby had a weak signal. High-speed (cabled) access is available in the rooms, however.

Vdara is part of MGM Resorts International, and so part of M-Life and its preferred partner network.

TIPS: If you plan on eating or cooking in your suite, ask for flatware and dinnerware when you arrive. There is a Business Office with Computers available for $10 for 15 minutes, but you can print out boarding passes or show tickets at no charge. Bring your M-Life card to the Market Cafe for a discount. If sunlight wakes you up, bring a sleep mask.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the North Side, mid-level, so you can see the Bellagio Fountain.
4  Thank CKintheMJ
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Just got back from a trip to Vegas where we stayed in a Deluxe Suite at the Vdara. Was part of an Orbitz vacation package (which was excellent, by the way). Clean, contemporary room with a king bed and limited kitchen. And by limited it meant we had to ask for stuff to cook with and serve with because they don't provide it unless you ask. The things they did provide, however, were top-notch and we were able to crank out some great meals in that little kitchen. The hotel is a little tricky to get to, but the valet parking was superb and we found the service to be excellent. When they delivered the cookware and dishes, I commented that the light over the sink was not working and they immediately sent someone to fix it. Housekeeping was also excellent. Just be sure to press your Housekeeping light by the door if you want service, otherwise they assume you don't want it.

The hotel itself is beautiful and, once we figured out how to get around, pretty convenient to everything. A little more private feeling as it is casino-free and restaurant-free. Last time we stayed at the Planet Hollywood Resort in a 2 bedroom with my folks and that was a fabulous suite! The only bad thing was being bombarded by salespeople at the kiosks when you try to enter or leave the resort. Didn't have that problem at the Vdara.

We would stay there again, but would probably upgrade to a Vdara Suite because it would be nice to have a full kitchen, 2nd bathroom, and laundry facilities. Didn't find out until too late that the hotel gives a tour of their various room types every day at 2:15. We would have done that if we had known earlier.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelgal_0511
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We travel to Las Vegas twice a year and have stayed at most of the major 4-5 star hotels on the strip. Our recent stay at Vdara on Labor Day weekend has been by far the worst of any of them.

I cancelled my reservations at the Marriott Grand Chateau to book rooms at twice the price at Vdara because I received a “Labor Day Special” email from Vdara offering 25% off and a “free upgraded view”. I booked 2 of the highest priced suites, the “Panoramic Suite” that totaled just under $800/room for our stay. When the confirmation email came across the price jumped to $896 per room, I assume for taxes. There was also a comment about how a $25/day/room resort fee will be added. When I checked in at 10:30pm Friday night, the price for the Panoramic Suite jumped to $1,004 and I was assigned rooms 6001 and 6003 on the 6th floor! When I complained, I was told that if I called in the morning they would move me to a higher floor. Upon making that call Saturday morning the person, without even looking at availability, told me they were at 100% occupancy and that it was impossible to move. (The lobby was full of people checking in all day Saturday, so she lied.)

Where was my free upgraded view? I paid top-dollar and all I got was a free DOWNGRADE! I would have been better off booking anywhere else through Priceline. I am adding a few pics of my “panoramic” view and include them here – a solid blank wall of back-side of The Cosmopolitan, the tram tracks, and windows of the Aria. If you squint, you can see the mountains reflected off the Aria’s windows.

Vdara management should be prosecuted for false advertising.

The layout of the suite was also a problem. Too much space is given to hallways. The toilet room has no door, and it is literally 2 steps away from the dinette. The “full kitchen” is a small kitchenette with no kitchenware (you have to call and ask for it to be delivered) and a combo microwave/convection toaster oven. The “coffee pot” is a tiny pod machine with only 2 coffee pods provided. The room is littered with advertising for iHeartRadio, and the internet service that you pay the $25/day fee for actually blocks Pandora service. Nice – I can get the same level of control by moving to communist China; China at least has The Great Wall to look at rather than that of the back-side of the Cosmopolitan.

Just look at the responses to the poor ratings on tripadvisor.com. Who is Lisette? Why isn’t the General Manager responding like any Starwood or Marriott property would? Why don’t they provide a contact so that they can make amends? Why? - Because Vdara/MGM just doesn’t care.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank radworkers
VdaraHotelSpa, Manager at Vdara Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear radworkers,

Thank you for taking the time to document your concerns. We regret to hear that your stay was not what it should have been and we were not able to accommodate your room requests. Our Director of Guest Services will be reaching out to you to address the issues you experienced during your stay.

Once again, please accept our apologies and we assure you we will continually strive to improve our services so that all of our guests have a wonderful experience. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We got so lucky to find this place - came on a whim to see and meet Yes and Procol Harum, see Jersey Boys, and drive a Ferrari at 110 around Lake Mead. It was one of the hotel choices through a package offered when we booked our flight direct from BWI through Southwest Airlines. Easy walk to Paris, Bellagio, Planet Hollywood, and the "happening" part of the strip - every single convenience you can think of.... Will be going back VERY SOON!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank anitavoltz

anitavoltz, thanks for writing a review about your stay with us. Sounds like you enjoyed our accommodations and all the fun Vegas has to offer. We can't wait for your return visit!

Patricia
Manager

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed at the Vdara for 4 nights the 3rd week in August with a group of 4. We wanted to book a 2 bedroom suite and reviewed a number of different hotels until finally deciding on the Vdara. The hotel stay was great, and we were very pleased with the selection. This particular room included complimentary airport pick up and return. Our driver met us by holding up our name on an ipad, while all the other drivers had the name scribbled on a cardboard sheet. We thought this was a good start. We were helped with our bags and quickly transported via the Aria limo to the Vdara. Check in was swift as they escorted us to the front of the “Invited Guests” line and were immediately checked in. It was noon, and our room was ready, and we were able to go up to the room quickly. Having read a number of Trip Advisor reviews, during check in I requested plate settings for 4, and they arrived at our room within 10 minutes.
We were on the 56th floor (top floor) and the views were absolutely fabulous. The room was at the end, corner, of the hotel and had views in 3 different directions of Las Vegas. Great during the day and at night. As are all the rooms, it was modern and nicely decorated. It included a bedroom downstairs and the second on the 2nd story. There were 2 ½ baths, a kitchen with full refrigerator and 5 LCD TV’s. The upstairs bathroom included a huge shower for two with a shower head on each side. All of the shades/blinds were motorized via remote control (I think with the bathrooms, there were at least 10 controls in the room). You could select shades, privacy shades or all open, which we did to enjoy the views.
So, a couple of items that I had previously read in reviews. Our door key worked flawlessly all four days during our stay. No doors fell off the hinges nor was anybody locked in the bathroom. There was a Keurig coffee maker in the room (I like to have a cup of coffee first thing in the morning), but initially only 4 cup brewers. We asked for daily refills for the next morning and housekeeping was always very responsive. I also called housekeeping regarding two light bulbs being burned out and when we returned at the end of the day, they had been replaced. We did not use the Concierge service, so cannot provide any feedback on their service. For everyone else we encountered, they were always friendly. The one item I did not like was that the shower pressure was not as strong as I prefer. This was probably due to the fact that the hotel is eco-friendly versus a specific problem with water pressure.
Just a note about the hotel location. Yes it is not directly on the strip. Our routine also consisted of walking through the Bellagio, or cutting through the Cosmopolitan. But from the hotel elevator to the outside street and cab was no more than about 50 feet, which was nice. Having stayed at many other Vegas hotels, I’ve had a 10 minute walk from my room, through the casino, through the lobby or shops, till you get to the streets. For us the location was not an issue.
We enjoyed this stay and would return. While this 2 bedroom suite is not the biggest or most over the top (for example no pool table, or bowling alley in the suite, etc, etc) it offered the right balance of modern amenities and wow factor for us.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family