“Retreat from Sin City”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Retreat from Sin City”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

If you are looking for a unique experience that is unlike anything in Vegas you must come here. This hotel was originally built to be a condo complex but turned into a Hotel, which explains why the suites and rooms are so comforting. The pool is exclusive and closed off from anyone but guests at the hotel which is great. One thing to note, please avoid tanning by the pool from around noon until 3 as the sun beams off the glass of the hotel causing the Vdara death ray effect and easy sunburning. The beds at the hotel are super comfy, the rooms have exquisite tubs and room darkening blinds if you wish to sleep in late along with a fully functioning kitchen. However, IMHO the most important thing is that in an unhealthy conscious world we live in, this hotel is quite green and health minded. Their cafe has lots of options from smoothies, to egg white meals, to organic chicken, and many other healthy options. While I was there I visited the spa which was AMAZING. This is a must, especially if you are a physically active person.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Greg S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,408)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic rooms with picture frame views. Really enjoyed our stay in Las Vegas due to the escape of the hurly burly we got when we returned to our rooms each night, really recharged the batteries. Would recommend to anybody.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Frank19744
Tenafly, New Jersey
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Excellent price to value ratio in terms of rooms quality to rate. Clean, nice hotel. No Casino, but that was the idea: have fun in nearby Aria or Cosmo and come back to piece and quite. Only huge drawback - no place to eat. Whatever they "selling" as Cafe downstairs - is useless. Even coffee is bad. But Again - we went next door to Aria with many fine restaurants, so it was fine. Spa was OK. Service amazing thru-ought hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We have visited Las Vegas before and decided to try one of the newer hotels. The Vdara is in the middle of the strip just set back from the main road. I chose it because we like a big room and they have suites here we upgraded to a one bedroom suite and it was amazing. It had a large room with a dining table and kitchen and a comfortable seating area with huge tv. The bedroom was in a separate room lots of closets space and a desk the bed was very comfortable.
The bathroom led off the bedroom and had a fabulous shower, two basins and a bath.
All the windows had automatic blinds and we were on the 52nd floor which gave us an amazing view. Unlike other Vegas hotels where you wait ages for the elevator there was no problem here. No casino here so was calm and quiet. Pool area is small, poolside lunch was great.

Room Tip: If you stay for more than two nights it is worth upgrading to the suite one up from the standard.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This Hotel was a BIG disappointment! Dont get me wrong it was absolutely beautiful and pretty new, but looks are deceiving. There are hidden fee's they dont tell you about regardless of using priceline or the hotel itself for booking. $25 everyday for internet, use of pool, and gym. $20 a day if you happen to have a room you can see Bellagio fountains from. There is no coffee pot, hair dryier or basic ammenities you get even in a super 8. Now the coffee pot and hair dryier I can live with but for the price of the room that has a kitchen in it you would think that was included!! The staff was incredibly rude and not helpful even in giving basic directions. The room didnt even have its beds made or given sheets for the pull out. Everything you need has to be requested in advance and generally you are charged a $5 fee for having it brought to you. Most irritating of all is the extra tax at check out you have to pay on your room, yes there is an additional room tax at check out. So even though we paid for this room, spoke to a sales rep, and inquired about "fees" because its Vegas some places just charge for these things, thats why we asked. We were confidently told exactly what we were paying for and about the no additional fees we wouldnt be charged only to find out that we were. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!

Room Tip: Like I said this hotel is BEAUTIFUL and new, but you will be charged for outrages things and given c...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Chrissy B
Western Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our second time back at the Vdara, first in 2010 and again in June 2012. This time we took the whole family. Once again the rooms were lovely and spacious, the check in was quick and friendly. What I love about the this hotel is that its smoke free the rooms are always maintained to a high standard and housekeeping do a really good job. My only problem is the pool is a little small now that the hotel has built up its reputation and was busy. We had room service a couple of times and the Chicken wings were delicious. Maybe the only down side is that it is a little off the strip but if you enjoy a walk its fine. Easy connection to the Bellagio and the new Cosmpolitan is great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was my first time at the Vdara and needless to say it was interesting.  I'm 299% positive that I had booked a two story-two bedroom penthouse suite.  However, when I got there I had only the single floor-two bedroom suite.  They do call this a penthouse which only confused me more because it was not on the top floor .... but I won't get caught up in the small idiosyncrasies. I simply called the front desk and asked to be moved to the type of room I had reserved; of course there wasn't any of those available. The bellman came and showed me a two story-one bedroom penthouse suite that was available and on the top floor.  It was very cute but was way too small for a party of four.  They ended up moving me into two adjoining rooms on the 15th floor.  The view was terrible as it wasn't high enough to see much of anything except the pool of the Cosmopolitan.  Due to the price difference, I was entitled to a partial refund.  I spent an hour trying to resolve this the night before I was to check out as the credit adjustments were still not showing on my credit card.

When I booked the penthouse I was told limo pickup was complimentary to and from the airport. I  had called the concierge two days before arriving to make these arrangements. After providing my flight times and flight numbers, I also asked if I could make arrangements for a rental car as I had read the Vdara had their own rentals on the property.  I thought this would be easier than the massive airport car rental scene.  I was indeed able to make the rental car arrangements on this same phone call with the same concierge and was quoted x amount per day and was told the car would be waiting for me at the valet of the hotel.

As soon as we landed my cell phone started ringing, it was the rental car company, Enterprise.  They were asking me where I was and stated they had expected me two hours ago.. I explained we had just landed - long story short: they ended up charging me more daily than I had been quoted, a lot more.... When I noticed this, I called to question the bill.  The representative said he'd call back as he would need to call the Vdara to see what prices they were telling their customers.....? A few hours later he called to say that there was a "special rate" with the Vdara and that my account would be adjusted.  It was just another negative thing to deal with.

Between the room and rental car, I had over 1,200 dollars locked up on my credit card. Personal issues, I know,  but nonetheless very frustrating.

To top things off, the last night we were there one of our room keys stopped working leaving me stranded in the hallway.  I used the house phone to call the front desk to explain what had happened.  30 minutes later security arrived.  After they used their master security key on my door my key miraculously worked again. It was just another unsettling battle.

The positives, I can think of only two.  First, there is a small cafe in the lobby of the hotel that has coffee and snacks and it opens super early in the morning.  Secondly, the bellman we had during my diva moment was fantastic.  He wasn't one bit phased by my mood and tried super hard to make it work for me.  His name was David and he went above and beyond his call of duty. The Vdara tries to be elegant but to me it seems to lack that extra pizazz that you find at the Wynn. It feels like a key ingredient is missing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Pips_14
VdaraHotelSpa, Manager at Vdara Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Pips_14, we're sorry that your experience with us was not ideal. We apologize for any inconveniences caused and we look forward to speaking with you directly. We hope that after speaking with our Guest Services Team you will re-consider Vdara in the future.

Patricia