“Terrible customer service and bogus $20 resort fee charge”
Review of Vdara Hotel & Spa

Vdara Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Terrible customer service and bogus $20 resort fee charge”
Reviewed October 19, 2011

This hotel deserves one star.... I'm still staying here as a guest, so my review may be updated by the time I leave later in the week. Here's the problem:

1) the hotel room toilet seat was never cleaned. Housekeeping never bothered to clean the seat. I went to walgreens, bought my own bleach and wiped it down myself.
2) I paid a $20.00 "resort fee" fit each night I stay at the hotel. This amount is in addition to the room rate and taxes that I pay. Supposedly, the $20.00 is used to cover costs relating to free daily newspaper, Internet access. Well we never got our paper. What makes this whole situation worse is how customer service was handled by the hotel staff. So after I didn't notice a paper in my room I called the front desk and inquired. The representative who answered the phone at 10:05pm on 10/19/2011 said that there were plenty of newspapers available at the front desk for me to pick up. She told me to go downstairs and get my selection. I went downstairs and didn't see anything. Plus, there was a long line at the front desk so logically I went over to the desk just off tk thr side and asked the Asian woman on duty there for help. She frowned, and wasn't helpful at all. She told mr there weren't any papers either and that if I wanted one I needed to walk over to the aria hotel to get it myself. Frustrated, I went back to my room, complained to the front desk about this and asked them to remove the $20.00 resort fee charge.

Word of advice to all travelers: you should not have to pay $20.00 for a daily newspaper that was promised and never delivered. Also, you should not have to physically walk downstairs to get something that wasn't ever available in the first place.you should also never expect to get good customer service at vdara.

I'm still at the hotel right now. Hopefully they'll work out their mistakes before I leave their premises. And I hope they will remove the $20 charge that they agreed to do.

I told the blond security lady working the night shift on 10/19/11 and she promised to find a paper for me, which she did and had personally delivered it to my room. Thank you. She worked hard to find it for me. Regardless, I am still not paying the $20 bogus charge for the night.

I will be writing to other travel websites about this bogus $20 resort fee and terrible customer service.

• Stayed October 2011
6 Thank FrequentAdvisor888
Vdara01, Manager at Vdara Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
We are sincerely sorry for your disappointment with the newspaper. I certainly can understand your disappointment if you were looking forward to having a newspaper delivered to your suite upon check-in. Thank you for your feedback. Newspapers are indeed available throughout the day at the corner of the Front Desk Lobby. The resort fee includes the following amenities: high-speed Internet access (in-suite), local & toll-free calls, Fitness Center access, newspaper available daily, two bottles of water per day, and turndown service upon request. We hope that all of the included amenities enhance your stay with us, and the rest of your time at Vdara is pleasantly memorable.

Vdara Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,425)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed in a Deluxe Suite on the 27th floor. We had a partial view of the fountains at Bellagio (we could pretty much see the whole thing - see photos). The room was nice - it was clean. There looked like a stain on the floor that they tried to get rid of, but it wasn't that noticeable. I liked how spacious the room felt. We had the one with a single TV instead of the one that has a separate living room from the bedroom. The bed was comfy and the pillows were very fluffy. The elevators are quick and the walk from the elevator to your room is really short.

We intended to use the kitchen but didn't bother. You have to request kitchen utensils if you want to use the stove. There is no coffee maker in the room - first time I've ever seen this. There is a small fridge - VERY small. If you have left overs from dinner, it might not fit. To smaller than average sized bottles of water fit and that's about it. The Marketcafe on the main floor sells 6-packs of eggs, bacon, etc which was handy.

Housekeeping did a good job each day. They always arranged our toiletries & stuff in the washroom very nicely. They would forget things from time to time - one day they forgot to give us face cloths, another day they forgot to leave a bath mat, another day they didn't replenish the shampoo (which I loved by the way. It was their own brand and for whatever reason, it left my hair very shiny). The shower has a rain showerhead so the pressure isn't strong, which I kinda missed.

In terms of location, it's in between Aria and Bellagio. Valet is complimentary, but if you want to self-park you have to do it at Aria and either walk through Aria to Vdara or take the tram from Monte Carlo (which is right by the self-parking lot, maybe a 2 min walk) to Bellagio. If you take the tram, take the elevator down because it's closer to the doors to Vdara. You can also park at Bellagio but the walk from the self-parking lot to Vdara is a bit longer because you have to make your way through the casino & hotel. I think it was still about a 10 min walk even though the parking lot is actually right next to Vdara.

I didn't check out the pool because it was cold while we were there.

I didn't think i would, but I missed having a casino in the hotel. If we wanted to do anything we had to walk all the way to Aria, Bellagio or drive somewhere. When you're really tired after walking around all day, the trek back to Vdara was kind of annoying. I have stayed in Aria before and think I would prefer to stay there.

I had very little interaction with customer service - they left me a message once because housekeeping said they weren't able to clean my room because of the Do Not Disturb light when in fact they did clean our room. The person I spoke to was very nice and apologetic. I lost & found on the last day because my husband lost a hat somewhere between the tram at Bellagio and the self-parking lot at Aria and I was asked to hold and nobody came back after 20 min. When I called again I got someone totally different and they helped me.

We prepaid for this trip using expedia. When we checked in, they had to pre-authorize $100/night + the resort fee/night on our credit card. Make sure you have enough room to cover this or else you might not get your room! We have never had to do this in any other hotel we stayed at in Vegas before, so it was quite the surprise.

3 Thank missmattie
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Vdara Hotel & Spa! We are pleased to hear that you and your husband had an overall positive experience. We look forward to welcoming you back with us again in the near future!

Dublin, California
Reviewed October 19, 2011

My friend and I stayed 3 nights at this hotel. This is one of the nicest hotels. The first thing you will notice when you walk in is the amazing smell of no smoke, it just smells clean like a spa. The lobby is small, but quiet. There is a small bar and market place, which by the way was great for breakfast. We were on the 45th floor and had an amazing view of the Bellagio fountain show (free upgrade when we asked about it). The hotel staff was so nice at check in and answered all of our questions. There is a quick walkway to the Bellagio and Aria is a two minute walk across the street. We even walked to Planet Hollywood in heels by going through the Cosmopolitan, and it took maybe 10-15 minutes. We spent two days at the pool, which had great food and great service. Our room had everything thing you could need and it was huge. We booked all of our shows through the concierge service and they were so nice and accommodating. We had to check out at noon but our flight was not until six that night, so the hotel held onto our suitcases until we went to the airport for no charge. The resort fee of $20 is a bummer but we knew about that before we got there so it was no surprise. As we left the hotel we both decided we will definitely stay there again and that we must bring more friends since our room was so huge (supposedly we had the smallest kid of room available) and it was still huge! Oh and I loved the Ipod hook up in the room. Looking forward to my next stay there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for posting an amazing review about your recent 3 night stay with us! We are very pleased to hear that you and your friend had a great time at Vdara. Our hotel team truly delights in creating the memorable experience for our guests that you described! We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We had four nights in the basic room but what a wonderful four night. Room was spacious, clean and new! Bed was comfortable and very quiet in the evening. Easy access to Aria, City Centre and the walk to New York New York is pleasant if you stick to all indoor accesses (Via Aria and City Centre). Great to walk into lobby that smells fresh and clean. No smoking anywhere! We had a wonderful view of the Bellagio Fountain and I enjoyed the display every night! One downside, more staffing for the Market cafe to reduce the queue just for a coffee!

Room Tip: Higher floors with view of Strip. Great hotel for people adverse to cigarette smokes!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a wonderful review regarding your recent 4 night stay at Vdara Hotel & Spa! We appreciate your feedback, and very pleased to hear that you had a positive experience with us. I am also glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the indoor access to our neighboring hotels through covered walkways and our own tram system. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We stayed in the Panoramic Room at the Vdara. Beautiful, very large room at the 51st floor. Great view of the strip and Bellagio Fountains!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking a moment to share the positive review of Vdara Hotel & Spa! We look forward to welcoming you back with us again!

Ottawa Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Spent 3 nights at Vdara. One of the nicest Hotels I have stayed at and great value. Get higher floor as view from 12th sucked. Nothing going on at all in lobby. Really tough to get to strip and Bellagio is a hike. Arria is right across street. Nice no noise and no smoking. Pool is very nice. Resort fee of $20 a day is ridiculous. It isn't a resort. Just be aware that this Hotel is a place to sleep, very comfortably, and you need to taxi or walk to get anywhere.

Room Tip: Higher Floor facing Bellagio
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the positive review of Vdara Hotel & Spa! We are very pleased to hear that Vdara offered you a hotel experience that you consider one of the nicest and best in value. We hope that you were able to enjoy all the amenities offered with the resort fee during your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back with us in the near future!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in October 2011. We had booked a city corner suite but were upgraded (at no extra cost) to an executive corner suite on the 38th floor. I have rated it as 5/5 and even after spending the following 3 nights in the Mandarin Oriental I would say it's more like 4.5/5 - taking into account the difference in price.

The suite was huge and had a great view of the Bellagio fountains and North up the strip. The suite was lovely and had all the amenities you would expect. The large fridge (including iced water dispenser) was welcome.

We were sent a bottle of sparkling wine after we checked in which was a nice touch. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful including the housekeeping staff who did a great job.

The hotel is in a good location although it is not directly on the strip - it really is an oasis of calm! The hotel is connected via a (mostly) indoor walkway to the Bellagio which is really the centre of the action in Vegas. The Aria is literally a 1 minute walk in the other direction and there's always plenty of taxis outside.

There are a few bad points though: i) the room had a few cosmetic blemishes (chips to woodwork etc); ii) the air conditioning unit was located (I think) next to the bed and was a little noisy at night; iii) if you want a truly 5 star experience the Vdara is a league below the Mandarin Oriental.

For the price we paid though I can't really fault the hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Bellagio fountains - this should also have a great view up the str...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about your recent stay at Vdara! We are so glad to hear that you considered your experience to be an "oasis of calm". We appreciate that you will definitely return again, and look forward to welcoming you and your wife back in the near future!