“Maybe now our favorite hotel on the globe!”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 21, 2010

My Wife and I travelled to Vegas to celebrate our 12th Wedding Anniversary with a 10 night stay at the MO. I was last in there in 1984 and my wife had never visited, effectively this was our first visit to Vegas.

After 24 hours travelling we were pretty tired but excited to finally arrive at the hotel. You are met on the ground floor and then taken to the Sky Lobby on the 23rd floor for efficient check in, we then went to our room, a Mandarin Executive which enjoys great views of the Strip. As it was our anniversary the hotel had kindly left a bottle of French Champagne in the room for us which was most appreciated.

The room was beautifully appointed, lovely furnishings, subtle artwork, great bathroom and the air conditioning was working well given it was 42 Degrees Celsius! The room was very technologically advanced, curtains, lights, TV, air conditioning, privacy all driven by bedside control panel. Finally, the bed was incredibly comfortable, could have slept all day!!

Before we arrived the concierge had arranged several restaurant bookings for us which were all terrific, they were so eager to help and nothing seemed too much trouble when we had extra requests or changes we needed to make.

We spent several days by the pool. After seeing some of the "mega pools" at the bigger casino hotels we were very happy with the pool deck at the MO. Although it was modest in size there were always plenty of sunbeds available and it was never crowded. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and there was a constant stream of complimentary snacks such as ice cream, popsicles and frozen fresh fruit offered during the day. Food and Beverage was good quality, a little pricey and the portions were huge, but we were happy with the offering.

Although this is not a casino hotel you really do have all the action just outside the front door so you can easily get to Aria, MGM Grand, New York New York, Monte Carlo, Bellagio, Planet Hollywood etc etc. These are all a short walk or tram ride away and most of the other big hotels are not much further away. We really enjoyed being able to return to our sanctuary at the MO after a busy day or night emerged in the madness of Vegas.

Probably the only small gripe was the lack of free wi-fi internet, these days I think that is almost the standard, MO charge $US 60- per 5 days.

We have stayed at plenty of 5 star properties and this is now firmly at or near the top of our list of favorites.

4  Thank Chililover

Reviewed July 15, 2010

The Mandarin Oriental was a wonderful hotel to stay in if you need to get away from the casinos and Vegas action for a little tranquility. The rooms were beautiful. I have never slept in a more comfortable bed. I think my expectations of a 5 star hotel were a little disappointed in certain areas. On one of our evenings the bathtub had not been cleaned thoroughly from the night before's use (we used it, not another guest). Also, we were not given clean glasses for water in our room after the first night. Outside of these two issues, the staff was wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2010
3  Thank MrsCash
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I have just returned home having stayed 6 nights at the Oriental. It was as good an experience I have had at any hotel in the World. What makes this hotel so good is the level and quality of staff service. In particular I want to say thank you to the pool staff who looked after us each day. Yes, it can be expensive for food and drink but hey come on you pay for what you get! When back in Vegas I wont think twice about staying at the Oriental again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Johnny1066
Reviewed July 9, 2010

After a hectic & grueling week at work the week prior, I decided that my wife and I would take advantage of the long weekend and make a trek to Las Vegas from the Bay Area, CA.

With it being a last minute decision, I knew that I would have to be creative in booking our hotel accommodations, shows, meals, etc. After several websites, both third-party & hotel websites, I found a tremendous deal on travelocity.com for the MO for $175 a night. In my opinion, it was worth the few extra $$$ rather than Priceline a 5 star hotel and most likely receive the Trump International...especially after reading all the reviews.

Needless to say, the MO was an exquisite oasis on the strip...from the moment we pulled up to check-in, to our 3:00 a.m. check-out, we were treated like royalty. My wife and I were teasing that our taste buds don't match our income, and after such a tremendous stay, I am sold on the Mandarin properties!

I'm not sure what the big deal is w/ the other posters regarding switching elevators and such...it literally took an additional 30 seconds!!! Our room was a Cityscape room w/ a king bed. The bathroom is magnificent as my wife fell in love w/ the bath tub, his & her sinks, in-wall TV, hair straightener...I could go on and on...

I particularly loved the bed. Absolutely fantastic, I don't know how else to describe it. The room itself was plenty spacious for my wife and I. I did utilize the provided cords as I left my iPod charger at home, but no worries, as the MO had that covered.

I know that there wasn't any real rhyme or rhythm to this review, but I can't help but to speak in the highest regard of the Mandarin Oriental.

You have a fan for life!

4  Thank Proppracted
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I'm so glad we chose to stay at Mandarin Oriental for our 4th of July get away. We wanted a non gaming hotel that was quiet and not into the crazy pool parties and loud music, this was the place! The rooms are just great, very clean and modern and did not skimp on the decor and materials used. The beds are very comfortable and everything in the room is controlled by a remote, which was nice. The hotel has a zen/spa feel, the elevators play soft spa music and so do the hallways, I almost forgot I was in Vegas till I looked out the window and saw the great view of the strip. The pool was great, they have two long pools and a small plunge pool, the service at the pool was awesome, free bottled water and they came around with appetizing frozen fruit or ice cream. I guess my only complaint would be the price of coffee, believe it or not it was $9 for a cup of coffee, we had one and decided to get the rest of our morning coffee at McDonald's for a fraction of the price. I think since it's a non gaming hotel all the prices were on the high end, which was to be expected. They also have a courtesy car, Mecedes S class, that will drop you off at one location of your choice on the strip for no charge. It's on a first come first serve basis but still a great touch. I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be staying there again.

2  Thank abkrm
Reviewed July 7, 2010

The interior design is stunningly nice and the rooms are excellent. However, there are a few major flaws. Everything is a ripoff here. Overnight valet parking for hotel guests costs $30 / night (its free everywhere else in Vegas). The mini bar is 3x priced compared to Venetian / Wynn. There is no direct walkway to Aria. You have to go up an escalator and walk in the sun. Also, you have to take 2 sets of elevators to get to your room.

When I came here in May 2010, the hotel was very empty while Venetian and Wynn were bustling... Management will need to lower prices and create more value to attract more customers, otherwise they will go bust.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank taipa
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I have worked in the hotel industry for 8 years now and this property is on the top of my list! The staff was very friendly, gentle speaking and informative. From the bell staff, front office, pool staff, housekeeping, and restaurant staff (which I didn't get a chance to taste but often walked by) everyone went
above and beyond to make my stay a delight.
Feature amenities in the room: LCD remote that controlled curtains, blinds, lights, etc. then informs me when my deadbolt is locked, yoga mat & video, beautifully made water bottles, technology box ( which has wires & cables, in case you forgot to bring yours), duel showerheads, sexy looking tub with bath salt,
electronic scale, flat iron for the hair and sexy art works without it looking cheesy or provocative (such
as those cards people consistenly
give you on the streets). My only
mixed feeling on this property is the
lobby. Although it's located on the
23rd floor, and has a stunning view
on the strip, it's at a location where
guests can avoid the personal
greetings by the front office. Also since the lobby is on the 23rd floor, all the guestrooms are below it. Before checking in, I thought the guestrooms would be above the lobby but was a bit dissappointed to find out that all guestrooms were below the lobby.

3  Thank JHNY