“Gem on the strip”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was our second stay at the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas. Just as good the second time!
Check in could not have been better - quick and we were even able to check in before 10am,
They asked if we were celebrating anything - this was an anniversary trip - and sent chocolate
covered strawberries to our room! Such a nice touch! The pool staff was Amazing! Thanks go
out to Betsy and Alan our attendants at the pool! They really are great representatives of the hotel! All in all, a great trip! We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank belletown

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Start to finish, amazing experience. Great staff, great rooms, great food, great everything. I will be back and will stay here every time I come to Las Vegas for business or pleasure. Thank you for making my stay so perfect.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2014

As you approach the Mandarin Oriental hotel entrance by car a sign greets you with "Welcome to Zen". It perfectly sums up the experience.

I travel to Vegas all the time for work and I'm always booked at the big massive hotel+resort+casino complexes. You know, the ones where you pick among a dozen long lines to check in and you have to navigate a smoky casino with the throngs of obnoxious bros, bachelor parties, and clueless tourists.

This hotel experience was completely opposite. First off, there is no casino and the entire hotel is nonsmoking, which sets up a completely different experience. Don't get me wrong, I like to gamble and the Aria/Monte Carlo/Cosmopolitan are not even 5-10 min walk away so it's easy to get your gamble on. The free tram to the Bellagio is also nearby.

The actual reception lobby is on the 23rd floor which is kind of cool and it's a beautiful room with floor to ceiling windows with a great view of the strip. We walked right up and got checked in immediately. The service here is over the top great.

Spent a lot of time at the pool, it's a super chill spot with great service for food and drinks. The music was an easy background beat, not the super crazy party scene I've experienced elsewhere.

We were looking for a chill hotel for a weekend getaway and this fit the bill - will definitely be coming back. It's nice because there are endless options to get your crazy on nearby, but it offered a nice zen home base to come back to recharge.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank El_Yeah
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I recently stayed at the Vegas Property and have to say it was first class from the staff greeting me at the door to the front desk greeting me with Tea to help cool me off from the 109 degree weather. It gets better! A lot better. I have been coming to Vegas for the last 15 years and its a breath of fresh air to be away from the casinos and smoke! Yes, I spent my nights at the casinos but ended up relaxing at the Mandarin Bar which had a view that was second to none in vegas! WOW FACTOR folks. WOW! The restaurants were great especially TWIST. The wine list was exceptional and went hand and hand with every bite we had- especially Loved the Wagu beef with a bottle Bordeaux. If your looking to relax and take in vegas all in once id say you must stay here. First class staff+Amazing food and wine+peace and Quiet+ WOW factor views= Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas

Room Tip: Try the tea lounge!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Fer C
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Simply put, the best hotel in Vegas that we have experienced in over 30 years. The hotel has no casino and that definitely removes a certain edge. There are no rock band pool parties but they do have an excellent gym and spa area, and a staff that are focused and not diffident.
Even the hallways smell nice. The rooms are well appointed and immaculate. Twist is worth the experience for dinner. My wife and I have had a couple of anniversaries there.
Where every hotel in Vegas boasts its superlatives, this one actually delivers. If you need the noise, the casinos, the shops, etc, walk across the street.
We had been travelling in New England and DC before we arrived. It was a wonderful way to relax before heading home.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BillVancouver_BC
Reviewed June 29, 2014

It's difficult to review a hotel like this because, well, it's the Mandarin Oriental, so of course in many ways it is beautiful. But compared to its competition in this category, this MO falls short. We stayed here several years ago after it opened and were pretty happy, because the great service overcame some flaws in the room and in the hotel design. But on this visit, the service hasn't been good enough to overcome those flaws. As for those flaws, let's start with the room. The room is already quite small by LV standards, and on top of that, a significant portion of the room is taken up by a separated (but dark and small) dressing area, and by a large and nice bathroom. That leaves the sleeping/living area about the size of a basic motel chain anywhere in the US. Then there's the design of the hotel. Even though it is part of the city center complex, it isn't possible to reach any other properties without walking outside (and LV is often very hot). Since there are very limited food options and no casino (a good thing generally) in the hotel, this is quite frustrating. Adding to that is the fact that you have to use two separate elevator banks to reach your room from the outside. Very silly. And if I start talking about the absurd electronics that control (or attempt to control) the various things in the room (like lights), I will need several more paragraphs. Suffice to say it's a maddening and slow interface (and I'm a software engineer). Finally, the service. Since the prices are higher than other properties and the rooms smaller, I really expect perfect service. On a Sat. afternoon, we had to wait in line to check in. Not a huge line like some LV properties, but come on, this is the Mandarin Oriental. When we finally got to the desk, we had to play 20 silly questions with the check-in person, who seemed oblivious to the fact that we were very tired from our drive and just wanted to get to the room. Things like "Have you stayed with us before" (yes, you already know that since you have a welcome back card already prepared for me) and "what brings you to Vegas" (not really any of your business...). Finally, the only option for water is to make the long trek outside through two elevator banks to find a store, or pay $7 for a bottle in the room, which seems like excessive penny-pinching for a property like this. Nothing terrible, but just doesn't meet expectations. Basically, if you're the type of person who loves LV, you will probably not like this hotel. If you're the type who doesn't like LV but wants nice and convenient service, you will also not be very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Brent M
Mandarin O, Public Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel, Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas. It is troubling to learn that your stay did not meet your expectations or Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas’ standards. We pride ourselves in being innovative leaders and striving to exceed guest wishes and expectations. As stated in a direct message to you, we apologize that your experience was less than fantastic and hope to be able to speak to you directly about it.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for several days on a mother/daughter trip. I visit Vegas regularly, but it was my mother's first time so I wanted her to stay somewhere nice as to enjoy her experience. Generally, I would stay at one of the busier/louder casino hotels, but preferred to have a nice, quiet experience this time with my mother.

I secured a private transfer directly through the hotel at a cost of $100 each way. We were told that our driver would be waiting in the baggage claim area with a sign with my name on it upon arrival. Not only was our driver not at the airport when we landed, but she called my cell phone saying she would be there shortly. 30 minutes later she arrived and pulled into the bus area and shouted across the street for us to hurry up and cross the street and get in the car before she got a ticket. En route to the hotel she asked if we needed to stop anywhere. I ran into the CVS to pick up something I forgot to pack and she did not get out and open the door. As a matter of fact when I returned to the car I had to knock on the window because the door was locked...????

Check-in at the hotel was great. However, when we got in our room the television did not work. I had to call the engineering department. They sent up a technician who had to go behind the television, swap out some wires and restart it.

When I tried to shower the water sprayed EVERYWHERE. It was as if the shower nozzle was not screwed on tightly. Again, I called a building engineer to come up and repair it. He said that he put plumbers tape on it to fix it.

I think that the staff tried its best to provide great service, but unfortunately I ran into many small issues during my stay. For it to be a high star property I would think my experience should have been seemless.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
11  Thank Awashing05

We greatly appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas. It is upsetting to learn that your stay with us was less than desirable. We understand the importance of special trips and pride ourselves in helping create memorable experiences. In our direct message to you, the experience you described is not the high-quality of service we strive for and for this we apologize.