“First-rate hotel that would be a top hotel anywhere!”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #2 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“First-rate hotel that would be a top hotel anywhere!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Let me start this review by saying that my husband and I are not gamblers and we're definitely not smokers.

We went to Las Vegas because it is an easy direct flight, we wanted to see a show, there are excellent restaurants, and the shopping is fabulous.

Given these parameters and our expectations of luxury hotels, I think that there are probably only two hotels to choose from in Las Vegas for those of similar tastes--the Mandarin Oriental or the Four Seasons. We usually stay at Four Seasons hotels elsewhere but chose the Mandarin Oriental due to the superlative reviews it receives and the fact that it is newer and NOT in a casino (which the Four Seasons is with regard to the Mandalay Bay).

We were not disappointed with the Mandarin Oriental. The level of service, from the bell hops to the front desk to the bistro restaurant to the concierge to the spa, was excellent throughout. It's even more impressive due to the high volume of guests they receive in Las Vegas, and let's be honest, a reasonable portion of the people that visit Las Vegas are a bit "unusual" to say the least. The fact that they are able to maintain such a high level of service in a chaotic, transient city is extremely impressive.

We dined at Mozen Bistro every morning for breakfast or had room service. The breakfast was fabulous. Room service was prompt each morning and well done. if you have a suite, room service is the way to go as you have a wonderful people-watching perch over the strip while you eat.

We stayed in a Cityscape Suite which was a good value since the fourth night was free. You'll see by the photos that I attached that we had great views. The bathroom was something out of Architectural Digest magazine.

I highly recommend getting a spa treatment and arriving at least an hour early to take advantage of the facilities which overlook the strip. I booked the 2 hour package which allowed me to customize a massage, scrub, and mini facial. The masseuse was out of this world.

Before we arrived, I corresponded via e-mail with a concierge, Debbie D., who was extremely responsive and helpful. She got us perfect seats to KA and provided good feedback.

If you're a high-end shopper, the proximity of the Mandarin to the Crystals shopping mall (e.g. Gucci, largest Prada in North America, etc.) is wonderful. You can easily never leave the Mandarin Oriental, Aria, Crystals, and Cosmopolitan area of the strip as these hotels seemed the most new, fresh, and had the best selection of restaurants.

We visited the Four Seasons at the Mandalay Bay on our last day to just make sure that we had made the right decision. There is no question--while the Four Seasons is nice, the Mandarin Oriental is SO much better, chic, and modern. And, the Mandarin Oriental is in a far better location in the middle of the strip.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room away from the elevator, and we received a corner room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TravelgirlLouisiana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,240)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2013

If only other hotels could take notes on how this hotel operates...the attention to detail is astounding. Originally we picked this hotel because there was no smoking or casinos in it, and we were right to do so.
1. The room we booked the basic room. The technology and ambiance were great. Room service was always on time, and the room was cleaned twice daily (providing we weren't in the room)
They left little flower petals by the bath tub, and a bowl of water by the night stand with a petal in it...I'm not sure what the significance of this was, but it was a cute detail. The bar is completely stocked with high end alcohols and snacks. And you are able to operate most of the room by touch pad
2. The spa was great....so good I called my husband and told him to come down and use the facilities... They have a strip view and amazing full body showers that mock storms,cascades and mists.
3. The staff...they were all eager to help and did it with a smile. The bellhops are some of the nicest people!! And will help you organize a night out, at some of Vegas' finest places.

All in all we would defiantly select this hotel again. It's on the strip, but I diamond tucked away in a sea of cubic zirconias.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Randi S
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

This is the best place I ever stayed at in Vegas (beats Trump by a million points).

The rooms are well laid out, gorgeous and jam packed with technology. The staff is very service oriented. The in room dining was expensive but extremely tasty... and they always threw in something extra like freshly squeezed juices.

The spa is top of the line too. It's the first land based spa that I found to have a t-pool (thalasso therapy pool, which is warm water with loungers and bubbles). (T-pools are more popular on cruise ship spas than on land).

The price is higher than other hotels on or near the strip but it's also better than most of them.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 266Nik
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I've stayed in a few of the hotels on the Strip, but by far the Mandarin Oriental has them all beat. The moment you pull up to the front doors, a doorman escorts you to the elevator (and subsequently always says hello and welcome back). Check-in is on the 23rd floor Sky Lobby, it was a breeze and staff were friendly.

It's quite dark inside the hotel, which is a huge contrast to the other casino-hotels, and best of all, this hotel has NO casinos. No long lineups, no shouting over the crowds and slot machines. This is a classic hotel experience.

I had a strip view room and it was amazing. Bathroom amenities were top notch, though I would've liked to have had a hair brush or curling iron (there was a flat iron though, but not quite the same thing). Sea salts for your bathtub is provided and I took advantage of it. At night, nothing beats seeing Vegas lights, it's gorgeous.

Since the Mandarin Oriental is part of City Center, my friend and I have had excellent food at Mastro's Ocean Club there. It's just a 5 min walk to Aria and their Cirque du Soleil show, Zarkana, and the popular Cosmopolitan hotel. There's also a sky train you can use to get to The Bellagio. And for those hardcore party nights, there's a CVS right next to the Starbucks. It's a great location.

There is a turn down service and room service was impeccable.

You MUST try the Mandarin Tea Lounge, it's a bit of luxury with a great view, tasty treats and excellent tea. I had the Classic English Afternoon Tea with Golden Assam - delicious. Felt truly spoiled and again the wait staff was super friendly.

Also ate twice at MOzen Bistro, once for lunch and once for breakfast. Lunch was ok, but a little pricey. Breakfast however was great, I had a Japanese Bento box, and though normally I dislike fish and seafood, the teriyaki salmon was excellent, the skin was so crunchy! If you can afford this lavish breakfast as I did, get it.

My only criticism was the odd smell in the Sky Lobby when you come out of the Lower Lobby elevators. There was always this weird musky smell, like toilet water, was not very pleasant and not sure that perhaps this is the fragrance used for the lobby. But it didn't bother me that much, considering of everything else.

Wish I had the time and money to spend on their other amenities, but perhaps next time. I'll definitely be returning here!

Room Tip: Get a room with the view of the Strip, you won't have a glaring sun in your face when you wake u...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Georgia
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Each January my husband and I travel to Las Vegas for business. We have stayed at many of the beautiful hotels on the strip. Although there are some amazing properties .... my very favorite has become the Mandarin Oriental. The service is far above any I have ever experienced in Vegas. We are not gamblers so not having to traipse through a smoke filled casino each night after dinner was a treat! Our suite was beautiful and the bathroom was fabulous! Shower was wonderful, bedding was comfy and cozy, breakfast in bed every morning, tv built into the mirror, just Heaven! The bar overlooking the strip is also a treat! and make sure you save time for the spa......it's fab! Can't wait to return in January 2014!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
9 Thank KenGeorgia
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I went to Vegas for a quick trip (was there for 37 hours) for my sister's wedding. I'm not a gambler, so a non-casino hotel was appealing. From the moment I stepped out of the cab, I was made to feel wonderfully welcome and relaxed. The entire hotel environment has the feel of a serene day spa.

The room was equally relaxing. I called my husband shortly after settling into my room and told him I never wanted to leave. The bed was very comfortable, linens perfect, and there were so many fun amenities to explore.

Now lets talk about the bathroom! While the overall room size was a bit on the small side (I had their least expensive room) the bathroom was like a luxurious oasis. Amazing bath salts awaited me by the large soaking tub, and its modern serenity was only interrupted by the TV built into the mirror. I entertained the idea of soaking in the tub and watching a movie, but opted to listen music from the-in room entertainment while I soaked.

I also visited the spa for a manicure, and thoroughly enjoyed it as well! I had some time before my appointment and they guided me to the Tepidarium where I was invited to relax on a heated lounge while I was waiting. I was amazingly relaxing!

Needless to say, I can't wait to enjoy this hotel again! My husband may be attending a conference in Vegas in 2014, and I'm counting the minutes!!!

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms, but some rooms do have a better view than others dependin...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank MarieMom25
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

After reviewing the excellent TA reviews, we decided to book this hotel in May while in town to see a championship fight. Our stay was so enjoyable, I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Vegas!

If at all possible, splurge for a suite. We had the Cityscape, which was several floors up and away from the pool. And what a suite it was...impeccably decorated, modern, with floor-to-ceiling windows. The Shanghai Tang products were a nice touch as well. We were also able to take our breakfast in the room instead of the restaurant.

I was concerned that a non-gaming Vegas hotel would lack appeal or feel sterile compared to the other properties; only to realize that it was a perk. Gone were the hoards of noisy partygoers, drunks, and stripper poles. Whoever imagined that Vegas could be peaceful!

The check-in process is thorough and can be lengthy. Exercise patience, a stay at MO is worth the wait. The staff seemed to take pleasure in their jobs and the service was extraordinary. I highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple