“The yoga mat is pure genius.........”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Glasgow, UK
“The yoga mat is pure genius.........”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I was lucky enough to be able to use my Avios points to stay here for 3 nights during my recent stay in Vegas. The staff are trained to perfection but they are clearly picked because of their professionalism and ability to make people feel welcome. Alexander on the front desk, Frederick and Gregg from the valet team all made my stay amazingly friendly. The room had some of the best facilities I have come across - yoga mat, bath salts, ice in the room with the evening turn down service.....just to name a few. The Mandarin Bar with its spectacular view and considering its location had wonderfully tasty, value for money food and drinks. The Spa was good, not sure it should be in the top spas in the world since it us quite compact, but my massage was very very good. Thanks Julie...I slept like a baby. It's perfect location allowed me to enjoy all that Vegas has to offer knowing that I could return to the peace and tranquility of my room....and be at one with my yoga mat!

Room Tip: Not sure that the Strip View is really relevant if you have already been to Vegas. I stayed on both...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Eileen C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,222)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 25, 2013

There are a few things that anyone considering a stay here should know. If you are looking for a party atmosphere, loud "music" at all hours, a swimming pool jam-packed with drunk idiots, smoke-filled air, tourists wandering aimlessly, and your idea of luxury is extreme gaudiness, then definitely do not stay here.

If, however, you are someone like me and my girlfriend who like to separate themselves occasionally from all the noise and bustle of the casinos, this is the perfect place. The staff is the best I have experienced in Las Vegas, and are more on par with employees that you would come across in an actual metropolitan area than what is usually encountered on the strip. Every employee we met was polite, helpful, and impeccably dressed. This is one of those hotels that actually makes you want to dress-up a little just because the atmosphere is so nice.

Upon arrival, the doormen quickly took our bags and showed us to the check in area. The check-in desk was fully-staffed (which never happens at so-called luxury resorts like the Bellagio) and there was no wait at all. The people at the check-in desk were extremely polite and articulate, and someone actually walked us all the way to the elevator. The bellman brought our bags to the door and demonstrated how everything in the room worked. Maid service was fast, the room was spotless, and turn-down service was offered at night.

The rooms at the MO are large and definitely minimalist in style. While I know this is not everyone's taste, it was perfect for us and we really appreciated the relaxing environment. There was a large-screen TV, fridges stocked with snacks and bevvies (at a charge, of course), and bathroom was large and comfortable. Our room was on the 19th floor and looked over the pool area with a nice view of the mountains in the background.

Restaurants are very expensive, but also very good with excellent service, and there is a very stylish bar on the 23rd floor.

Also, the MO has an excellent location, so even though there is no casino or bar scene, you can get those things by making a short walk to the Aria or the Cosmopolitan. At the Aria (where I spent most of my gambling time), there are several more casual restaurants, a buffet, and a tram that will take you to other parts of the strip. On a side note, if you are staying at the Mandarin but would like to try one good buffet meal, I suggest the Wicked Spoon at the Cosmopolitan.

My only disappointment with the trip was that the weather was just awful and I didn't get to enjoy the pool area, which is small by Vegas standards but plenty big for a smaller hotel that doesn't get the party crowd. I hope to return sometime in the near future to spend a morning n the spa followed by a day relaxing with drinks poolside.

If there was one thing I could change, my only suggestion would be to add a casual dining option. The restaurants are very nice here, but even the "casual" MOZEN Bistro is pretty expensive and a somewhat lengthy sit-down affair. There is a coffee and pastry stand next to the MOZEN, and it would be nice if they maybe added some prepared sandwiches and other light snacks that patrons could get to go. That's a minor complaint, though, and I'll definitely return here for future Vegas trips.

In closing, I would add that this hotel is probably best for solo travelers, couples, and business travelers. The atmosphere and dining options may be a little too adult for families, and it may be a little too quiet and relaxed for large groups, but it's just perfect for couples.

Room Tip: Get as high a floor as possible, as lower floors may experience some noise from the strip.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NorthsideSoxFan60618
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 25, 2013

stayed over the Veteran's Day weekend 9-11 November,the staff and check -in was flawless.The reception staff was attentive and the hot tea and cloth were a nice touch.I loved the electronic features in the room from the lighting and HVAC was terrfic.I had a Strip view room and upon entering the room,the curtains drew back automatically revealing the view! Wow! You need to spend a few minutes reading the card provided and getting familar with the accutrements,but then settle back for a great stay.The other touch was after leaving for dinner and returning later that night,the Doorman,opens the car door and as I alighted,he said ''welcome home'' Wow! what a great touch! What a gem of a hotel.I visit Vegas 2-3 times a year and stayed at various hotels from Ventian,Mandalay,Mirage but this hotel is going to the top of the list,and with the Aria and Crystal in walking distance,it was great!

Room Tip: The Strip view rooms are great! I was on the 9th floor,but I bet higher floors the view can only get...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rico944
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I paid for parents whole trip to go to Las Vegas for their anniversary and personally selected this hotel. My parents couldn't stop talking about the hotel, the room and especially the service. I think the service was the number one thing on their list as excellent. My parents have always stayed in Best Western, Comfort suites or similar hotels. I wanted them to have an experience like no other and they said everything was Awesome and worth the price.

• Stayed August 2013
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I've made quite a few trips to Las Vegas for work.. seriously, I don't gamble, or drink to excess, or do anything with the snap cards you can barely avoid being assaulted with. And every hotel I've stayed in has had smoke and slots. But the last time I had a work trip, the company put me up in the Mandarin Oriental, and it almost didn't feel like Vegas.

There's no casino, smoking isn't permitted in the building apparently, there's no parking lots to navigate (all the parking is valet, and the valets are very courteous and helpful).

The rooms, oh my, are they amazing. With a glass-walled bathroom, shower and toilet in separate little rooms and a huge tub in the main bathroom, excellent amenities, and a tv in the mirror in case you want to spend more time in the tub than is absolutely necessary. The room itself has an impressive lighting, curtain, clock/alarm, and entertainment center all tied into one. I set my blinds to open with the alarm and I had no trouble waking up. I watched a DVD one night and some other TV other nights. The Internet service was viable, and I had a nice view of the strip without having to focus on it.

One of the best things about the hotel service is their nightly turndown. Some hotels promise turndown service, and if you're lucky you get a branded chocolate or mint on your nightstand. With the Mandarin, a staffer comes in, fills your ice bucket, checks your minibar and bathroom, removes the ornamental pillows and covers from your bed and sets your functional pillows and covers up. He (in my few nights it was always a he) sets out your bath towel, a glass with a flower petal in it by the side of the bed, fresh bottles of drinking water (free) and glasses, sets out the breakfast and room service tray at the foot of your bed, and asks if you need anything else.

I had a special need after a night of the stock pillows, and asked for hypo-allergenic or foam pillows. Within 8 minutes of my calling housekeeping to ask, a gentleman was at the door with the replacement pillows, taking the feather pillows away. And for my remaining nights, the hypo-allergenic pillows remained. I worried that they might switch back the down pillows, but I had some of the best nights of sleep outside my own bed that I've had in years.

There's a minimal inconvenience in that you are expected to go through the 23rd floor lobby to change elevators and go to your room. Except for the midnight to 5am range, you can change elevators on the third floor where the restaurant is. And it's not that inconvenient of a detour anyway; if you're on a lower floor as I was, you get a chance to see the city from the skyline level (and there's a bar and upscale restaurant on 23 if you feel so inclined).

Another note is that you don't have a loyalty or affinity program with the Mandarin Oriental, as far as I can tell. It's not part of any of the chains with Mlife or Total Rewards or anything like that. But the experience is worth missing out on a few points, and the room rates are very reasonable.

And the thing that kinda got to me the most was that there's no in-room coffee. However, there is in-room tea (a glass kettle and assortment of fine teas and sweeteners). There is a Starbucks in the entry drive area, and a CVS just outside the entry drive area for any amenities you might want that might not come in the room (or if you want larger than 8oz sodas in-room). I'll bring a dripper and some coffee next time.

I've stayed in a few other properties on or near the Strip, but this is the one that I thought "I need to bring my fiancee here." The others, well, most of them would suffice for sleep and a breakfast buffet or something, but this would be a place worth spending quality time in on its own.

I ate at Mozen for breakfast each morning... it's a unique place with lots of options and no shortage of food. It's not a buffet, so you have to be a little bit decisive, but the European and American style breakfasts are both diverse enough to give you some flexibility. I can't speak to the other dining options, but I would expect them to be charming and satisfying as well.

I'm looking forward to going back to the Mandarin Oriental soon. When you are in Vegas to work, it's nice to have a quiet, clean, pleasant place to rest and relax.

Room Tip: I doubt they have any bad rooms, but if you prefer sweeping views, ask for a higher level floor of c...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Robert N
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My 10 year old son and I stayed there for 4 nights in September this year...It was his 10th birthday ....we arrived to our room to a cupcake iced with his name and Happy Birthday on top...staff...room
location ...the whole experience was incredible...special thanks to the great doormen downstairs at initial entry...highly recommend this hotel...great place to escape the full on nature of Vegas...but then that is only seconds away when you step out the door....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Kiwitravels262
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed November 22, 2013

First of all this is, hands down, this is one of the best hotels ever! Extremely quite and luxurious. If you have the opportunity to stay here, DO IT!

Only complaint:
My room slept quite warm. In room temperature would not get below 69-70.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple