“Perfection in Vegas!!”

Ranked #1 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
“Perfection in Vegas!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Magnificent. From the moment we were picked up at the airport to the time we left for the return flight, there was nothing that was not done to perfection. If there was anything you needed it was delivered. Attentive and caring staff. Wonderful location. Everything you needed was either provided by the hotel or within walking distance. Starbucks and CVS were great. The only downside was the dark hallways. A little disorienting, but it would not deter us from staying on our next trip.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,194)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Las Vegas NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I am a local and I wanted to take my Fiance' somewhere special for her birthday. We were very pleased with our choice to stay at Mandarin. We started with a massage on Saturday. We have had many massages in our travels and this is the best we have had. The staff was very accomodating and the massage therapists were excellent. The rooms were very comfortable especially the bed and pillows. We ate dinner at Mozen's and enjoyed some excellent sushi and soup. The next morning we ate breakfast poolside and enjoyed the wonderful atmosphere it has to offer. I highly recommend this property.

1 Thank tsmith800
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here for a week and this hotel is one of the best that we have stayed at. Service is top-notch and location is wonderful right in the middle of the strip. It's next door to Aria and just a short distance up the road on the other side of the street, is the MGM Grand. We enjoyed the outdoor pool area on the 8th floor on several different days, service there is absolutely wonderful as well. The view from the lobby that is on the 23rd floor is really nice at night. Our room was a strip view room on the 18th floor and it was great. We really liked how everything was very high tech, with the curtains opening upon entering the room, and most things like waking up to quiet music and the curtains opening and the lights turning on and off were controlled by the remote through the TV. Bottled water is free at the Mandarin and you can call and ask them to bring several bottles to your room at a time. As others have said, the Mandarin Oriental does not have a casino in it and it was lovely to go out and enjoy the glitz and madness of the strip and then be able to come back to the quiet "zen-like" feeling of the Mandarin. We would definitely stay here again when we return to Vegas.

Room Tip: If your room is on a lower floor, you don't need to go all the way up to the 23rd floor to get t...
1 Thank louolym
Atlanta, GA USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

OK - I'm one of the 5% of people reviewing this hotel who find it to be less than desirable. All the negative reviews on here are legitimate - so heed them carefully. They may be in the minority, but they make excellent points. I wish I had given the negative reviews more careful consideration.

First of all, yes - the hotel is "nice". But, for my tastes, and anyone who does not want to be secluded and cordoned off into a sterile mausoleum type environment (with zombies who recite the same mundane service lines to go with the territory), I would not recommend staying here. What appealed to me was the fact that indeed the hotel is non-smoking, and I have stayed in various other Mandarins worldwide - properties such as the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong that I view as probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in. However, Vegas is not Hong Kong, and visitors to Vegas are more than likely looking for something a bit different.

The one thing I wanted this trip was a spectacular strip view suite with incredible, personalized service. The Strip View Suite is borderline false advertising. Yes, you can see a very small part of the Strip, but ONLY from the smaller bedroom window! I knew there was trouble when immediately upon entering the room, the receptionist who was showing me the room when checking me in started making excuses for the view from the living area - and quickly pointed out that the real Strip view was from the bedroom. The "Strip View" from the living room is a view overlooking a big McDonalds sign, sea of concrete parking lot, the airport, and the MGM. Oh, yes there is the rundown looking Polo Towers. From the bedroom, the "Strip View" is the Aria marquee, Planet Hollywood, Crystals Mall, and two ugly yellow square towers that basically block everything else.

Aside from no view, there are the other annoyances that other reviewers have noted that certainly were part of this unpleasant Mandarin experience -the bathroom has glass doors and "Walls" attached to the bedroom - which leaves basically no privacy when using the bath facility. Even the toilet is behind a glass door - you better feel extra comfortable in every way with the person you are traveling with or else this setup could lead to some embarrassing situations. The shower in the bath is a basic shower head and the water pressure was just average - no rain shower and the shower controls were loose and were almost as if they were not working properly - about to fall off the wall. Overall, the bath was annoying, in general.

The room itself was the epitomy of technology - to a fault. I am very tech savvy but don't want to study an in-room technology guide (provided) to figure out how to control everything. The technology was interesting, but annoying - I guess for people who live in the Mandarin, they will become accustomed to how to work everything, but to guests staying a few nights the over abundance of technology is irritating.

OK - the food selections are also very Asian in flavor to a fault. This is Vegas, not Bangkok. While a full variety of sushi may be appealing to some, it was not to me. The in room dining menu did not have enough selections for basic food. And, remember this is not the Wynn or Caesars, so you cannot just go down to the buffet or sample multiple restaurants within the property.

Getting a cab was extremely frustrating. Other guests were complaining and due to the position/location of the Mandarin, even though the bell staff go to great lengths to provide excuses as to why no taxi cabs are showing up, it is obvious they are all skipping the Mandarin for more high volume taxi stands at other hotels. The "there is a lot going on in Vegas tonight" excuse does not hold water - there is usually a lot going on in Vegas, but I have never experienced a such a long wait at other luxury properties in Vegas for a taxi to arrive. There just were on - perhaps one came by ever 10 minutes or so, and despite the bell staff explaining how the Mandarin has a light at the street to alert taxi drivers that a taxi is needed, I'm sure none of the taxi drivers really notice - as was evident by very few showing up.

In summary, I was just not pleased in the least with the Mandarin despite it being obviously a part of this luxury hotel chain. I guess there is a time and place for everything, and when I travel to Vegas, the Mandarin concept at least for what I enjoy (multiple food venues in a property, a few slot machines, and excellent service coupled with availability of pretty much whatever I need very quickly) is not something the Mandarin delivers. The real problem was the misleading and deceptive marketing of the small "Strip View Suite" - enough that I just checked out the next day and went to the Wynn.

Think carefully and ensure you understand you are not getting a typical Vegas experience in this hotel. And even if you want to see Vegas from your window and pay a nice price for a suite with a view - understand the view may be that of the airport from which you just arrived.

16 Thank ATLTravelsALot
Mandarin O, Public Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear valued guest,

We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations but we thank you for sharing your feedback so that we have an opportunity to develop. We take great pride in providing the best experience for our guests and will use your comments to evaluate areas of improvement. As noted in our direct message to you, our Director of Rooms would love to discuss this with you further and hopes you will allow us the opportunity to serve you as our guest again.
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

This is the best hotel to stay in if you want to get out of the hustle and bustle of the strip. The service is superb and professional, the rooms comfortable, the location is ideal. The pools area is great as is the gym

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank shaunb2013
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The Mandarin Oriental Hotel Las Vegas is a large hotel but they still manage to provide very kind, intimate service that you should expect from their brand. We received an "upgrade" to a Strip View room, but you could hear the noise (music, traffic) from the area below. The spa had fantastic service and while incredibly overpriced, we enjoyed our treatments there a lot. Mozen Bistro had good food -- I really liked the mix of different asian influenced dishes. One thing I liked about the hotel is that it was tucked away from the craziness of the strip. Easy to walk across to the mall and up the strip to other hotels/restaurants. And, best of all, no casino in the lobby!! Overall, would visit again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank nakedsky
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

In fairness to the hotel our expectations were very high based on reviews we had read.

My wife and I normally like to stay at the Trump, but decided on the Mandarin to be more centrally located on the strip.

We arrived a day late because of weather issues back home and made sure to call the hotel to advise them.

We arrived at the hotel in the early afternoon the day after our scheduled arrival date, and to our surprise our room was not ready. My wife had wondered if the hotel would rent our room out and I replied that it couldn't, we had paid for it and how would they know when we would show up?

Well my wife was right and I was wrong.

To the hotels credit it did pay for our meal at the hotel which cost them considerably less than I had paid for the room, especially considering my wife and I are lightweight eaters and don't drink.

When we did check in we were asked which paper we wanted, we never did receive a paper during our stay.

One day we returned to our room to change and found that housekeeping had forgotten to clean it.

Speaking of the room, we found it comfortable overall but the shower leaks onto the bathroom floor which was an annoyance.

We did enjoy the location and agree the staff are very friendly.

Stayed October 2013
5 Thank GoCanucksGo555
Mandarin O, Public Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear valued guest,

On behalf of the team, we apologize sincerely for not meeting your expectations during your stay. Please be assured that we are currently looking into these issues further to ensure the appropriate actions are taken to make sure they are not repeated. Please know that this is an isolated incident and is no reflection of the service we provide. As noted in our direct message to you, our Director of Rooms would love to discuss this with you further and hopes you will allow us the opportunity to serve you as our guest again.

We greatly appreciate your feedback. We hope we have the chance to demonstrate to you our renowned services that we are known for with a return visit in the near future.