WINNER WONDERLAND

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #1 of 267 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Worcestershire
“Very good.....but not perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'd echo pretty much everything I've read amongst the other trip reports.
The hotel is a nice escape from the madness that surrounds it. The rooms are well appointed, the beds are very comfortable.
I would certainly recommend it and stay again.

Minor faults (in my opinion):
Charging $7 for a small bottle of water in the room, and then providing a complimentary bottle with the turn down service, I just can't understand that logic. Include it all in the price - it would create a much more favourable impression.
There aren't really any public seating areas, other than the small space adjacent to the lobby, where you almost feel obliged to buy a drink.
As mentioned previously by someone - the toiletries appeared to have been used by someone else, before me. I don't really like waste, but that seemed really odd, and cheap!
The lobby being on the top floor is just odd. The view isn't great in the daytime, and is ok when the neon gets switched on in the evening. It's just a nuisance to have to make a two elevator trip to get in and out of the building.

Then I have a word of warning - the beds are built on sturdy wooden plinths, which project wide of the mattress. During the night I managed to crash my foot against it, and as a result incurred severe bruising to my small toe. I then found it difficult to wear shoes and this hampered me walking around Vegas for a couple of days. It was very annoying. My own fault? Mmmm.... I would be surprised if others hadn't done the same. Watch out for that anyhow.

That problem did however, provide the opportunity for a member of staff to show some great customer service. I returned to my room after breakfast to find it being made up. I asked for some ice, and explained I had a problem with my foot, but didn't say why. The room attendant went away to fill the ice bucket, but also came back with two plastic bags full of ice for me to make a compress. It showed great initiative and was much appreciated.

Having walked around some of the public area at other strip resorts I have no doubt that if I return to Vegas I will stay at the MO again

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank whiskerxx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,150)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed at the Mandarin Oriental over the 4th of July and what an amazing hotel. The service was great from check-in to check-out. While many hotels had lines upon check-in not here. We dropped the car off at valet, went to the 23rd floor for registration and then to the room. The rooms are quiet, and very comfortable. You do not get any noise like many of the casino hotels. If you enjoy top end stay at the Mandarin.

1 Thank Charg3rs
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Just finished a conference at the Mandarin. Without a doubt, this was the best service I have encountered at a hotel in the US. Staff was always cheerful, greeted me with a smile, and went the extra distance to make sure that my stay was the best it could be. This is the place to stay if you want to enjoy a hotel in Vegas without the sounds of a casino or having to deal with intoxicated people with 32 ounce frozen drinks bumping into you in the elevator. The lounge on the 23rd floor is classy, but fun. The workout room is nice, and the fee is bundled with Internet service in a low daily resort fee. Location is great, with easy access to restaurants and casinos. The only problem we had was that our room would not cool down until late at night. Maintenance changed our filters, but told us that there was not much they could do when it was 107 outside. Pool is nice. Had no problem getting a chair, and pool service was very prompt and courteous. I cannot wait to return to this hotel!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ColtFan44
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here for pleasure for 5 nights at the end of June and beginning of July with my wife. Like many hotels on the trip, this hotel is only 10 minutes from the airport by taxi. Do not use the hotel's car service as it is 5 times more expensive than a taxi at the airport. the hotel is in the middle of the strip so easy to get to most places. Checkin was nice and easy and no long queues that you get at other hotels in vegas. It is very personalised quiet and discreet. If you are want the loud party / gambling hotel, this is not for you. To get to reception you come striaght up in one lift which is on the ground floor and reception is on the 23rd floor next to the hotel bar and lounge area. The first downside is teh additional $24 per night for a resort fee they call gold service but basically everyone pays which means you have free internet (which is quite quick) and use of the gym, but thats about it. Just add it to teh room price as its not optional!) To get to our room you use a different lift which means that going in or out we had to use two lifts to get to the 21st floor. We upgraded to a cityscape room, which is the same as an ordinary room but pleased we did it, you get a better view and also not so much noie from the traffic. The room was very nice, free water, comfortable beds, TV, wireless, spacious, ice bought every night etc etc. the aircon was good, it worked and well and wasnt noisey, tea facilities in the room. The bathroom was nice, double sinks, glass shower, seperate bath and bed. the only downside was maybe not have a glass door on the toilet and a glass partion to the bathroom for a little privacy or at least a blind.Dont expect a large pool to swim in, there were more than enough beds with the people coming and going, they were very comfortable and the staff laid the towels for you. We were there during the heatwave and teh staff worked hard, always brining bottles of water or ice glasses of water and some samples of smoothies, if you wanted drinks, the staff were always on hand. breakfast and lunch could be served poolside and it was all good food. During the heat, the floor was very hot, so be careful. there is also a small dip pool if you wish for some privacy away from the main area but it is tiny. You lose the sun around 5.30ish and the pool then is in the shade and there is not much wind that blows through so you do get hot. I didnt use the gym as I normal do but its well stocked for cardio work, alo0ng with some cable machines but dont expect to push weights. The spa looked nice but not at circa $200 for a massage. Evening affair was in the bar on the 23rd floor with good views but hint, book a table to get a window seat. it wasnt busy but there are only about 6/7 tables that sit 2/4 people and need booking in advance. the cocktails were very well made and the light menu also was well cooked. It was my wifes birthday and each night they kindly bought out a cup cake and lit it which was very nice of them. Now the downside, firstly whilst the staff were very pelasent, its a shame because at times it felt a little cumbersome, in my experiences going to the US, service is great, however some staff seemed very inexperienced which was repeated at breakfast. There was one instance which I found a hair in the peanuts we were given, these things happen but they shouldnt do but the manageress was very good at addressing this quickly. In the mornings you can go to the 3rd floor and pickup free coffee or tea between 6am-8am. Coffee is nice and if you want a pastry, you can buy this right next to the coffee point which worked for us. Breakfast was also nice and not too badly priced, however its a menu breakfast and no buffet. Once again we had another issue unfrotunly with a youghart, which really shouldnt of happened, and should never happen (even though we were told otherwise) but yet again the manageress was very good at addressing. We liked it so much we extended our stay by a night and then whilst we did not leave the hotel until 7pm we were allow to use the facilities all day and the spa showers and changing rooms before we left for home. Checkout was quick and easy and no mistakes on the bill which made the checkout run smoothly. Overall very very good stay, the only let down was the two instances and some of the staff at breakfast and at the bar, otherwise this would of been 5 stars! I would recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: High floor is all that is needed.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank keegan d
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We deliberately chose Mandarin at Vegas, so we could escape the strip when we needed a time out. Location, quality of rooms, service was brilliant. Probably the best room I have been in. Even when we had a minor hiccup with our room lock, they sorted it out within 15 mins.
I cannot add anymore than what has been said. An absolute oasis. You walk in and instantly the music calms you.

Room Tip: Get a room with a strip view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
chicago, il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We just returned from a long weekend in Las Vegas. I was in town for a meeting and picked this hotel because the meeting was being held at the Mandarin (and we got a discount for the room). It is pretty much right in the middle of the strip (next to Aria/Crystals) so it was easy to explore both the north and the south ends of the strip. Parking is expensive and as other travelers have recommended, we found it easy to park in the free self-park in Aria next door and walk over to the hotel. Check-in and check-out were very quick. Every employee that we met was extremely professional and seemed genuinely interested in helping us with any concerns that we had. When we called the front desk about a concern, it was immediately followed up on. We stayed in a cityscape room which was overlooking the hotel. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. We spent an afternoon by the pool - it was wonderful! The pool staff is extremely helpful and the pool area is very serene and peaceful.

For privacy, they do separate the elevators for the common areas (restaurants/meeting rooms/lobby) and the hotel rooms. You are supposed to go up to the lobby (23rd floor) from the hotel rooms in order to take the public elevators to the entrance. But since the hotel rooms are all below the 23rd floor, instead of going all the way up to the 23rd floor and then switching over to the public elevators, it is much faster to take the elevator down to the 3rd floor (meeting rooms/restaurants) and then switch to the public elevators down to the ground floor. Well worth the extra money for the service and location.

Room Tip: Let them know when you are making your reservation if you have any requests (higher floor, proximity...
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We needed a place to stay the night before flying home and got a good deal on a night here. The room is exceptional. I wished that we could have stayed longer. The staff is as cordial as you might expect. The pool is a little Shi-shi....people getting perturbed if the wake from your kids made them slightly more wet, but thats expected I guess...they should divide up their 2 outdoor pools.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family