“Tranquality on the Strip”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I came to Vegas for EDC, so I decided that rather than saying in a casino hotel that was going to be busy 24/7, I figured I would need some peace and tranquility to recuperate during the day from the crazy nights out on the Speedway. So I picked the MO over the Cosmo as a place to stay during the weekend, and I was glad I did.

This isn't the typical Las Vegas hotel. There's no casino in the lobby, there are no tour groups checking in, and the noise and energy levels in all areas of the hotel are low. If you want a place to relax and enjoy the services a hotel can offer, this is the hotel to be in. The rooms are beautiful, spacious, and both the bathroom and bathtub have plenty of space for two. If you want a high-energy, party hotel, then I'd recommend the Cosmo.

I loved my stay at the MO, and while I won't be staying here the next time I'm in Vegas, it is not the hotel's fault at all, I just want to try the Cosmo since I'll be there to party. I would not hesitate to recommend the MOLV to anyone going to Vegas, although I would say to keep your expectations on Twist in check. I wrote a review on Yelp for that.

1  Thank potatomato33

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the Mandarin Oriental. It provides a tranquil and relaxing environment - a big plus is no casino/theme etc, which keeps the crowds away. It is centrally located- easy to get a cab, walk, or use the shuttles. The staff are very customer service focussed (something we didn't see everywhere in Las Vegas!) and the rooms a delight. Many of the room functions are controlled via the TV screen (curtains, Air con etc) and there is even a TV in the bathroom mirror. Nice shower gels etc provided and bathroom well equipped with straighteners and a hairdryer. Room service was prompt and food good. We didn't get as far as trying the bar on the 23rd floor but the views were great. The nightly 'turn down' service featured rose petals and bottled water - a nice touch.
Improvements? Complimentary tea and coffee was on offer between 6am and 8am - too early for us and I suspect quite a few others on leisure trips. The room had a kettle and herbal tea sachets - these were nice but proper tea and coffee making facilities would have been better.
This hotel provided an excellent retreat when the cacophony of the Strip became too much.

1  Thank SKrazz
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed at this wonderful for a week in the middle of June this year. As a non-gaming, non-smoking hotel it certainly offered fantastic respite from the heat, bustle and sheer lunacy of most of LV - much as we love it, it's sometimes good to get away!
We had a Premium room, which was spacious and welcoming. Standards of cleanliness were extremely high. One little niggle - they were a bit mean with replacing the toiletries, and we often found ourselves with no shower gel.
Morning coffee was included with the "resort fee" of $24 per day (a rip off, but widespread practice in LV I understand). However, this was only available from 6 am to 8 am each day! Why?? Oh yeah, so you'd buy a full breakfast in the hotel. Silly me ...
The only other surprise was that we weren't personally shown to our room, which is normal practice in a hotel at this level. Fortunately the very charming guy who brought up our luggage took it on himself to demonstrate all the amenities. One if many fabulous staff.
Would I return? Jury's out ...

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank sperhabb
Reviewed June 29, 2013

So calm, so refined, so visually beautiful...what more can one say? A beautiful oasis in the midst of pandemonium! The international staff is well trained. Service is quick and efficient. Rooms are lovely including the bathrooms and the walk-in storage/closet area. Others have described the technology systems for the rooms. Works like a charm. My spouse and I have previously stayed at the Wynne and Bellagio. Avoiding the "casino scene" is a major reason we tried the Mandarin Oriental. The crowds on the sidewalks do not fine their way into the hotel's entry point and yet the building is directly on the strip. The entrance is cleverly hidden! The pool deck is lovely and the few children are well-behaved. I think the design of the two pools (slightly over-sized lap pools) sends the message that these are not "kiddie pools".

The pool cabanas are a "better deal" than one might think. The cost includes the same amount in food and alcoholic beverage credits. Soft drinks, water, pitchers of lemonade and iced tea are complimentary. One can take bottles of fine wines or food items back to their room if the food/beverage consumption did not equal the price of the cabana.

We have decided that if our future travel plans take us back to Vegas, the Mandarin Oriental will be our only choice.

Room Tip: Nearly everyone raves about the strip view rooms, but why spend the extra $? We did, but the view i...
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Just another rave review for the Mandarin Oriental (MO). My wife and I took advantage of a "book two nights get third night free" promotion. The room was nothing like we've stayed in before. No strangers to high end hotels, the MO clearly stands in a class by itself. The in room technology (every function tastefully automated), showpiece bath area and insanely comfortable bed are exceptional in every respect. The sights, smells, and soothing ambiance elicit a profound sense of tranquility in a city atmosphere not renown for quietude. The staff is attentive and friendly but never smothering. The lack of a casino in the hotel is a plus but the "on strip" location puts all Vegas activities within easy walking distance. In-hotel prices for food and beverages, though on a par with other high end establishments, are still up there: i.e. $21 for a glass of decent Chardonnay, $24 for an American breakfast, $9 for cashews in the minibar. That said, there are many less expensive eating and drinking alternatives all within easy walking distance. The Aria Resort and Casino next door has a great buffet for a reasonable price considering the variety offered. Bottom line: the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas is a head and shoulders cut above the rest and a truly amazing experience not just a stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Randy N
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I really like my stay in this hotel. It is providing a comfortable stay in Las Vegas as it is a standalone hotel, unlike other hotels in the city which have gambling halls, shopping and theaters within the hotel building. For this reason, you can have a quite sleep away from city noise, and then spend the rest of the day in the city and it is walking distance from the main attraction areas in Las Vegas.

The room was modern, comfortable and with high end amenities. The staff are kind and very helpful. The room service was delicious with verity of options to eat. I liked also the afternoon tea at the lounge.

The only thing that I did not like is that all hotel residents has to go the 23rd floor and pass the lobby in order to switch to their rooms elevator.

I highly record this hotel people coming to Las Vegas and afford for the stay as its rate is higher than all other 5 star hotels in the city.

Room Tip: strip view rooms are nice
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was stage 2 of my visit to the US having met my husband in New Orleans where he was working and having a few days there. We arrived early on Sunday morning to a warm and friendly welcome and were pleasantly surprised that we had access to our room immediately. Check in was a breeze and once we got to the room it was immaculately clean, modern and spacious. But the real asset of this hotel is its wonderful staff and the service they give. This place is truly an oasis of calm in the madness of Las Vegas and was exactly what we needed. Only blip and its minor was the lack of tea/coffee facility in the room but this is not a deal breaker. The pools are lovely and the staff down there are truly fabulous, again it would be nice to have an area marked as quiet but really its not noisy, Overall this is the best place we've ever stayed and I will always look for the Mandarin Oriental group for future stays. Thank you to all your staff - you are magnificent and made our holiday.

Room Tip: im sure everyone is a winner