“aahhh the Mandarin”

GreenLeadersGold level
Agoura Hills, California
“aahhh the Mandarin”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas is an amazing hotel. If you can afford it there is not much to think about. The rooms are easily among the 5 best hotel rooms I ever stayed and.. I stayed in some crazy good rooms. Clean, super confortable bed, amazing shower, awesome tub and very cool tech...my absolute favorite feature was the option to have all the curtains open at wake up time. The staff is beyond friendly and being in Vegas in a smoke free hotel with no Casino just rocks. The only thing to keep in mind is that breakfast on the 3rd floor (forgot the name of the place) is grossly overprice, understaffed and not good so avoid it.

2 Thank jfk102761

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,240)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Mandarin Oriental aspires to be an oasis-like environment where you can escape the cacaphony of the Las Vegas strip. With all the hustle and bustle everywhere, it is nice to relax in the sanctuary of a zen hotel.

When you enter the room, you experience the ambiance of relaxing techno music on the TV. The rooms are equipped with a huge free standing tub and bath salts are provided. Unfortunately for me, the hose that connected to the nozzle leaked, and I got shampoo in my eyes while using it. While rooms are Oriental minimalist, they are also elegant, with beautiful glass vases throughout.

The hotel is geared for a more mature crowd that is not looking for the nightclub scene. The bar is definitely worth visiting, and it has a stunning view of the city lights as well as the Eiffel Tower at the Paris.The bartender, Michael, had me try the Cartreuse VEP, which is made and aged to perfection by monks in France. He also prepared a nightcap of herbal tea to help me sleep.

For the first thought of the day, there is complimentary coffee and tea from 6-8 a.m., but I didn't wake up in time to take advantage of that. I went to the Mozen Bistro and had the Freestyle Eggs. It included two eggs, potato hash, asparagus, dried tomatoes, sausage, bacon or ham. I was impressed that guleten free toast was available.

There is also a Mandarin breakfast with an egg white spinach omelet, potato hash, asparagus, sun dried tomatoes, fruit, juice, coffee or tea for a few dollars more.

The restaurant also has the traditional Eggs Benedict, or try them florentine, with spinach. If you're more adventurous the kitchen offers eggs Nantucket style with crab cakes or Royal style with smoked salmon. A woman next to me had the eggs rancheros with chorizo. Or, if you prefer, the yogurt parfait boasts home made yogurt.

When I arrived at the hotel, I asked for a class schedule. There wasn't one available, and I was told by the receptionist at check in that one would be sent to my room. She neglected to follow up on this request. I ended up calling the Spa, and the woman who answered quite graciously explained all the classes and the times. I took a yoga class from Susan and she was a very knowledgeable instructor. The hotel also offers Pilates and Circuit Training, all included in the resort fee. Use of the Spa is an extra charge.

The hotel is near the south end of the strip. I took advantage of this and spent a lot of time at the Miracle Mile shops across the street. I also went to the Gordon Ramsey BurGR restaurant at Planet Hollywood.

The bellman was very helpful when I was leaving. It was incredibly windy, so he kept my luggage for me outside while I waited in the lobby.

When I was in the shuttle back to the airport, I heard an advertisement on the radio that there is live jazz in the bar on Sundays. I can't wait to go back and check it out.

4 Thank suzieintheoldpueblo
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel and amenities are 5 star. The check-out experience less so. It took 3 phone calls and 2 visits to the front desk to arrange for checkout and luggage storage and even with this effort it still was not executed right. I spent the day in the spa and this was the most incredible spa that I have been to. All the of spa staff were so helpful and helped with my luggage. Oddly, I received more assistance on this front than the front desk provided. Service in the lobby bar is really slow and less than friendly. Loved that this is not a part of a casino and no smoke. Not a fan of Vegas but if had to go back on business, this is the hotel that I would choose.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have stayed at many, many hotels in Vegas, and so far this is my favorite. From the quick, elegant check in to the gorgeous rooms, everything was perfection. The staff could not have been more attentive and helpful. Although it feels secluded and quiet, it is right next door to all the action of the strip. It was very easy for us to walk all the way down to the Venetian (although I recommend wearing comfy shoes!).
The spa was AMAZING, and my husband and I received outstanding personal attention, even before and after our massages. Expensive, but well worth it, even if you just go to enjoy the spa area without a service.
I will definitely stay here again, and I will likely stay at Mandarin Orientals in other cities after my wonderful experience here.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Mandarin Oriential is one of the properties which comprise City Center (along with Aria, Vdara, Crystals Shopping Center, etc.). It is in walking distance to other great casinos and resorts on the strip (Bellagio, Paris, Planet Hollywood, MGM, etc.).

The service is remarkable. If you are one of those extremely independent people, it's almost too much: they walk you to the elevator, and want to explain everything thoroughly.

The pool area was nice; however, I was there in February, and they closed it at 5 pm. Not happy about that! My kids and I wanted to at least enjoy the hot tub :(

The blackout curtains are highly effective. I woke at 9:30 am and could have sworn it was not day yet; I was wrong!

The gym was extremely clean, decently arrayed with a variety of free weights, machines, and cardio equipment. It had a steamroom, immaculate bathroom/locker room.

Considering that I paid $265 for a dump in South Beach last week, I would heartily recommend this property for the $200 I paid for each night.

Room Tip: Ask for a north facing room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RCHaus
Houston
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Above the crowd and noise of the strip, yet close enough to be able to walk to the casinos and shows. Get away from the chaos and relax in an environment that will give you the peace and serenity you will crave. Not our first time at the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas, and certainly not our last. From the moment the doorman greets you on arrival to the moment you begrudginly leave, you will be extremely happy. The Mandarin brand provides better customer service than any other. The GM is terrific. Cliff does one heck of a great job and leads the rest of the personnel to do the same. The spa is one of the best in the world and the restaurants and bar must be experienced to appreciate. Well done and we cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Get a strip view suite if you can.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SBF2
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is one of my favorite hotels in any location. It’s conveniently located on the strip, but once you enter the Mandarin, you feel like you could be anywhere in the world – there is absolutely nothing “Vegas” about it, only an elegant and understated luxury (... and who would think that "Vegas" and "understated" could exist in the same sentence!?"

The pool area has probably the best service I’ve experienced at a hotel. In addition to the unlimited supply of ice-cold water bottles, the staff is constantly checking on you to see if you’d like anything (but, impressively, in a non-annoying, non-intrusive way). It’s a simple pool, especially compared to the amusement-park endeavors you’ll find elsewhere on the strip, but also beautifully QUIET. If you’re looking to decompress by reading or napping in the sun, this is the perfect place.

I ate at the Pool Café and Mozen Bistro, and also ordered room service. Usually I’m suspicious of Asian Fusion (hard to do well, and too easy for novelty to take the place of quality), but everything was excellent. I was especially surprised by the quality of the ramen – not something I’d expect to be done well on a room service menu.

The room itself is an experience. The usual things that you’d hope for in a luxury hotel (i.e., excellent bedding, deep bath tub, television facing said bath tub), but also many extra “high-tech” touches that were memorable: electronically-controlled curtains and blinds (so no pulling awkwardly on the fabric to try to block the light), a special little cabinet near the room door where you can put things like your shoes or the ice bucket for the staff to pick up (they can open it from the outside of the room, so you never actually have to talk to them if you don’t want to.... though they were all fantastic).

Spa actually felt worth the high price – top-notch facilities (hot tub, sauna), great massage. And you even get a free little cosmetics bag in your locker that’s the perfect size for tossing stuff in your purse when you get back home.

In summary, if you want to feel like you’re in Vegas – bright lights, casino, etc. – then there are dozens of more appropriate places. But if you want access to all that is Vegas, but a serene and luxurious oasis to relax during the day or night, I doubt there’s a better place. I don’t really love Vegas, but I’d return just to stay at the Mandarin. There are, of course, Mandarins elsewhere but they're typically much more expensive due to the cities in which they're located.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo