“Perfect stay in a non-casino hotel”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I are not really interested in gambling. We did want to come to Las Vegas though, to check out what the hype is all about. Totally glad we stayed at the Mandarin Oriental! We took a spa (Haman and massage) on on day and spent the other day just lounging by the pool. What a lovely relaxing experience. Plus, the restaurants and level 23 bar are really nice too.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Jimmy C

Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel was truly a haven in a city that is wonderful but can be overstimulating at times. Perfectly located on the Strip, so all the craziness you want is within a few steps, but what a pleasure to return to the zen atmosphere of this luxury hotel. We got a north-facing Strip view on a high floor (highly recommended upgrade) and loved the room, which had everything we needed and more (TV in the bathroom). Great shower! Perfect nights' sleep on their great mattresses. Excellent service. Loved that they kept the pool open and heated. I swam a mile on December 1st, with palm trees and sunny sky in view. And we didn't mind the 2-elevator system, as it kept out a lot of the noise we have experienced in other hotels. We will definitely return to the Mandarin Oriental.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MariannenJim
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Treat. My wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary - couldn't be more pleased. The MO is a bit beyond our income level, but we definitely plan to stay here again during our next trip to Las Vegas.

Room Tip: Get in shape if you plan to walk the strip.
4  Thank Carlos R
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here for 10 days recently and every minute was excellent.
Room was wonderful , very clean & welcoming , equipped with everything i needed and more.
Staff were genuinely friendly , lovely people.
Location for me was perfect - I easily walked from the hotel to excalibur to the south or Caesars palace to the north - or there is the deuce & sdx bus to catch - or taxi or own car obviously.

My stay for lack of a less perhaps over used word was perfect.

Room Tip: My first stay at this particular hotel - I was on the 12th floor -
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank HighwayRhode
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Las Vegas is on the bottom of my list when it comes to places I like to visit My idea of a weekend getaway does not include huge crowds, smoke filled rooms, or the constant buzzing of slot machines.

Last December, we spent Christmas in Las Vegas at the MO hotel, right in the heart of the strip. The hotel seems secluded from the madness of Las Vegas. There are no game tables or slot machines in the lobby. Instead, the ambiance is luxurious and plush.

I would give the brunch at MOzen Bistro the award for the best brunch in any hotel that I've stayed at. Not only was there a buffet with desserts, seafood, sushi, and hot/cold foods, but the waiters walked around the tables serving small appetizers AND you got to order an entree. You could also choose to have unlimited Veuve Clicquot and not the Californian sparkling wine or Prosceco that other places offer as "champagne."

The service was exceptional. We had a wonderful driver take us to a different part of the strip. He was friendly and definitely a different breed from the NYC taxi drivers I've encountered in my life.

8  Thank FIFItheWorldTraveler
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We enjoyed our second stay at this hotel in the cityscape suite, and it was amazing!! The suite was just as awesome as I remembered it from our first stay. So luxurious, quiet and elegant and comfortable! The beds are so nice that you never want to get out of them! We actually ended up spending way more time in our suite then planned, both my husband and I got sick with bad colds, so we ended up using room service a lot. It was always good! It was always exactly what we ordered, nothing was ever wrong, and there was always something extra in the order, a little something special, the fresh bowl of berries we ordered every morning were so good! They were fresh, the raspberries tasted like they had just been plucked off the bush, we loved the peppermint tea in the room! So nice when not feeling good, we just had some honey brought up and it was perfect, fresh squeezed orange juice was very good! As was the coffee. When ever we called down to order something they always greeted us by our last name, everyone was excellent, from the bellman to the front desk, we had a wonderful time, even though we were both sick, what a perfect place to have to be sick in, the bath was so wonderful, soaking in it deep past your shoulders, the bath salts they provide smell so good! I could go on and on! We can't wait to hopefully return next year, without a doubt back to the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas!

6  Thank countrygirlAlberta
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We are visiting Vegas for the first time and thought we would have been overwhelmed by the large casino hotels (and most surely we would have been!!) and so we decided to stay at the Mandarin. A fantastic location in the center of the strip and easy to access to all the major hotels, but also very nicely secluded and away from the crowds - however, unlike the Four Seasons (which we also considered) the Mandarin is in the heart of it all and the views are spectacular. Our room was terrific - spacious and very comfortable - we had a cityscape suite - terrific amenities and towels etc.
The spa is fabulous and you have to try it - even if you are like us and never take the time to do this sort of thing - we had a couples massage and it was fantastic - I also had a manicure and pedicure which was ridiculously expensive but worth it for a special treat.
So why not give it 5 stars. Well, a few things need a pick me up - housekeeping for example was spotty and inconsistent - even missed our room one day (which we were not happy about!)
Food was also not very good - this is interesting as I had the same experience in a Mandarin in DC - so maybe Food quality is not their thing (and needs to be improved). Our breakfasts for example - stale pastry! and fruit salad not fresh. And not just once. And our dinner at Twist (their signature restaurant) was extremely inconsistent.
We used the concierge services a lot - very helpful but also inconsistent.
Finally - we were quite surprised that when they booked dinner etc for us they did not tell us that there was a marathon going on - which might have impacted our plans.
All in all we would consider coming back here because it is a fantastic hotel and the location is fantastic but they could improve their consistency of service

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple