“Three days at the Mandarin Oriental”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversary in Las Vegas this year, so we went for the three days leading up to Thanksgiving. We’ve stayed at places like the Venetian and Encore, but I wanted to experience the 5-star service at a luxury chain like Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental. In Vegas these hotels are often more reasonably priced than other cities, at least for basic rooms. We walk a lot, and I liked the central strip location for the Mandarin, so I found a package deal online for us there.

The hotel itself is beautiful, quiet, understated, and designed for guest privacy. The two-elevator navigation other reviewers mention does take getting used to, but it controls access to the rooms themselves and keeps out the drunken riff-raff. This hotel is a relaxing place you return to after a night out in Vegas, so if partying is your thing you will probably want to stay elsewhere. Personally, we loved having all the fun close by, and then being able to leave it behind when we’d had enough.

We spent a little to upgrade to a Premier room. The room was very nice and well appointed, and it was plenty roomy for us without paying for a full suite. There was a great view, a beautiful spa-like bathroom, and cool technology that conveniently controls the lights, drapes, air, etc. You should expect a slight learning curve getting comfortable with everything. The bed was very comfortable, so we slept great. The rooms had tea pots, but no coffee makers, although we haven’t stayed anywhere in Vegas that does.

The pool area was simple compared to some of the large Vegas resorts, but we found it elegant and relaxing. We were told that normally the pool area is closed after October, but with the nice weather they were experimenting with keeping it open longer. Unfortunately the pool bar was closed, so drink service was via room service, which of course is slower. The spa, exercise room and locker rooms were very nice, although we didn’t use any of these. The two restaurants on site are very good but fairly expensive (even for Vegas), so we mostly ate right next door at Aria and Monte Carlo.

So did we receive 5-star service? For the most part, yes we did. Nearly every employee we saw was nice, friendly and helpful. I called for service several times, and the phone was always answered immediately. One day my eyeglasses fell apart, so I called and asked if they had an eyeglass repair kit. They checked with housekeeping and called back less than a minute later, saying someone was on the way with one. One more minute later, our doorbell was ringing. After the first night my wife wanted a softer pillow, so we called housekeeping and they said they would take care of it. We were heading out and forgot about it, but my wife remembered the next morning after realizing that her pillow had been changed out. Housekeeping carefully arranged our toiletries in the bathroom each day, neatly folded up my wife’s pajamas by the bed, and once even bagged up my dirty socks that I lazily left on the floor (they definitely earned their tip that day). I called the concierge desk several times, and they were very skilled, efficient and helpful. One dinner reservation was outside the normal time the restaurant preferred, but the Mandarin concierge talked them into it.

Some things were less impressive. I did mention several times that the trip was for our anniversary, admittedly fishing for some flowers or chocolates like others say they received on special occasions. Nothing ever happened or was mentioned until it was acknowledged at check out. Nobody apart from the registration desk ever greeted us by name like some people claim they’ve experienced. I’d heard that the Mandarin will sometimes offer up free rides in their house car, but when I inquired about using it there was always a charge, and it was similar to taking the limos that are normally waiting in their driveway. Maybe you need to pony up for a suite to see some of the nicer perks.

Overall, even though we weren’t absolutely dazzled by our experience, we were very satisfied. We usually like to stay in different resorts each time we visit Las Vegas, but we would strongly consider staying here again, so that probably says a lot.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike B

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel is beautiful, and your wonderful experience begins before you even reach the front door. The doorman immediately remembered our names and greeted us by name every time we passed by. The bar on the 23rd floor has sweeping views of the strip and excellent cocktails.

The room was exquisite. One of the nice touches was the turn-down service, where the housekeeper left real flower petals in various places. Aromatic bath salts sat next to the gorgeous oval tub. And the bed was so plush, it was like sleeping on a cloud. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Beautiful hotel in the center of the strip. The room was fantastic, great view, very confortable bed, plenty of storage, all beautifully designed with a lot of attention to details. The service was great at all times. We had sandwiches at the cafe by the pool and they were great. We loved every aspect of our stay!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I spent a few days here before US Thanksgiving.

I was looking forward to staying at the Mandarin Oriental as it's in the City Centre complex. The location is great and the rooms themselves are comfortable with all of the modern amenities in a 5 star hotel. They also have one of the best hotel gyms that I've ever seen.

However the Mandarin does not live up to it's reputation especially on the service side.

The breakfast was mediocre and arrived late. When I called down to complain I was simply told it is on its way.

The 2nd day when I ordered breakfast and told them that it was late yesterday there wasn't a single comment or any level of empathy.

I also don't like the level of automation in the room. I had to adjust the temperature twice a day as it would go to a higher temperature whenever I came back to the room. I'm not sure if this was the staff or a system glitch but if I set the temperature in a room I expect it to stay at the same level throughout my stay.

When we were leaving, my friend had a large piece of luggage and none of the four bellman standing at the entrance and busy talking to themselves bothered to ask if she needed help.

I would suggest people who are looking for a 5* experience in Vegas look to the Four Seasons or Wynn.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the strip.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank oshawa_guy
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I will start my review by saying I think is one of the best hotel chains I have used. I have stayed with them in Hong Kong and Bangkok and been seriously impressed. This trip was with my wife and was out first visit to Las Vegas, and as it was our wedding anniversary we decided to celebrate with a stay at the Mandarin Oriental. On arrival we received a pretty hard sell from the front desk to up grade to a suite as it was our anniversary, this would have been fine and we had almost agreed to go ahead when I just asked to confirm that it would be on the same third night free basis as our original booking and was told no that suites weren't included. So had I not asked I would have got a $1,000 nasty surprise when I checked out. It should have been made clear and wasn't and I take exception to this, so be warned when you check in. Second issue; there are no ice facilities available so you have to call room service, as we arrived after a long hot journey we wanted a cool drink so I called room service for some ice. Half an hour later none had arrived, so I called again, it finally arrived at our room an hour later. Not good enough. Third issue; the next morning we set out to explore LV at 10am, we arrived back in our room feeling pretty tired (jet lag) at 3pm and our room as was had left it, no maid service at all. We had left the service please sign on the door and the privacy light was off so I was very disappointed, so I call housekeeping. They apologised and said they would send someone straight up. My wife and I left the room for it be serviced and went to the sky lobby (by the way there is nowhere to just sit in relax in the hotel in the afternoon when they are serving afternoon tea, we had an argument just to sit and wait in the closed bar area). Half an hour later I returned to our room and it was still un-touched, at this point my sense of humour failed (I was very tired) and called housekeeping to complain, 15 minutes later someone arrived to do our room, so we finally got back in it at 4pm.

None of these issues are acceptable for a hotel of the Mandarin Orientals quality, in fact for a hotel of any quality.

On the plus side the rooms are very good, with two issues though, noisy and drafts a/c system (not uncommon I know) and a tv system that mysteriously turned itself off at random times, which isn't the end of the world except that all the room controls for a/c, lighting, curtains etc are controlled from it. The other disappointment was the bar, lifeless and poor service provided, but expensive of course, avoid.

So this particular Mandarin Oriental was a great disappointment in terms of service, which I have not experienced with the before. On this basis I cannot recommend it to others as you may not get what you expect and are paying for. I considered the Four Seasons when choosing accommodation in LV and wish I had as hat chain has not let us down yet.

Finally, I completed the customer satisfaction survey with all these issues clearly laid out. All I got back was an email saying they were pleased at how much I enjoyed my stay and to not forget to leave a review on Trip Advisor, so they are getting what they asked for. Not only is the service poor but they don't even read their own survey feedback. This speaks volumes about this hotel and it's management. My advice, stay elsewhere in Las Vegas.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank PTEv
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was probably the best hotel stay I have ever had which is a big claim because I have stayed in many luxury hotels all over the world. Every aspect of our stay was flawless from the bell man greeting us by name when we arrived to them wishing us a safe trip as we departed. We were checked in by Alexander and he offered us an upgrade option to an Apex Suite. He took the time to explain the suite to us and even show it to us. It was amazing. It was on the corner of the building and had amazing views of the strip. I can't say enough nice things about the suite or how welcoming and customer service oriented Alexander was. The suite and the hotel are like a little oasis in vegas. The rooms were impeccably clean and just really lovely. Every staff member went out of their way to help us and always showed that our comfort and happiness was their number one priority. This is the only hotel I will stay in on my future trips to vegas.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Catherine M
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We booked a weekend at the Mandarin Oriental in Vegas for our five year wedding anniversary and it was an excellent choice. Mandarin is very high class and the staff is so friendly, genuine and very helpful. The rooms are well appointed with everything to make your stay a pleasant one. We stay at different hotels/resorts every time we go to Vegas and out of the five we have stayed at this is our new favourite. Our Mandarin package price (airfare, accommodations and taxes) was in the middle as far as price goes but was better in every way than some of the other places we have stayed at for more money. If you are looking for five star service and accommodations, Mandarin should be your choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple