“Elegant Oasis on the Las Vegas Strip”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #1 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Madison, Wisconsin
“Elegant Oasis on the Las Vegas Strip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

If you're overwhelmed by the crassness of most of Las Vegas but still want to stay in the middle of the action... the Mandarin Oriental is an absolute dream. It's quiet and calm, and the decor is dark and lush. I appreciated the unfailing politeness and professionalism from the staff. Very comfortable beds!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank AnneWellington482

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,194)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

After lots of travelling, this was the perfect place for us. We got a strip view room on the 11th floor (would have liked to have been higher) on the stay 3 pay 2 deal - a bargain! Because breakfast wasnt in our deal, we got the takeaway fruits, pastries and coffee on level 3 and took it back to our room, which was a great start to the day. Had a massage in the spa - seriously expensive! but a luxury well worth paying for. Loafed around the pool on the last day, pool staff were fantastic, knew when I wanted another beer, nice light lunch. And the water was quite warm, for late October. Gadgets in the room easy to use. Wife loved the big bath tub.

Few pointers that they can improve:-
- each day our drinking containers were taken away and not replaced, so had to ring housekeeping but they were up promptly
- in the fine print in their guest directory, it effectively says that if you consume your own alcohol in the room, they will charge you $95 corkage. Really? I've never seen that anywhere in the world. So we just ordered ice and stuck our nice $15 bottle of wine in it, and threw it away in outside bins next day!
- also in the fine print there is a "dress code" in lobby areas etc - no shorts or t-shirts for blokes, which nobody adheres to, so why bother putting it in print?
- you've got to know your partner well, as the layout of the bathroom means that you've got to time turning up the volume of the telly when one of you is ready to do a number 2!

Despite all that would only come back to this place, if ever in Vegas again

Room Tip: watch out for teh pay 2 stay 3 deals
4 Thank Simla10
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Las Vegas is a cultural clash. A mix of glamour and tackiness. The MO is the exact opposite. From the moment you walk into the lobby and take the lift (I'm British) to the 23rd floor lobby you feel relaxed. We had a standard (I can't imagine what the deluxe are like!) room on the 22nd floor and it was large, luxurious and with a view. The service is without fault. And they don't have a casino!! A bonus. There are plenty of other hotels to visit and lose your money!!!

5 Thank Ivor L
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in November of 2012. The Mandarin Oriental hotel is nicely decorated, located in a good location on the strip, has a nice gym and pool (call ahead to make sure the pool will be open for your stay!), and is quiet and a little bit secluded, which can be a positive thing when you're surrounded by the noise and craziness of Vegas!

I did not give the hotel 5 stars because I had some mixed feelings. I have been to Las Vegas twice before, and I've stayed at the Wynn and the Vdara, both of which were positive experiences. The Mandarin has the potential to be better than either of these, but my stay had a few hitches, and with so many nice hotels in Las Vegas, I'm not sure why I would return to this one, or why in fact I would try another MO in any city with other "5 Star" hotel options.

Layout:
The hotel layout at MO makes access to common areas inconvenient, so there are not a lot of people wandering through the lobby to gawk or explore. While this is a good security feature, it is inconvenient for guests who need to come and go, and it makes you feel a little bit unwelcome, or like you're being watched carefully to make sure you "belong," or that you're moving right along directly from one place to another (pool, spa, room...), and not taking your time (or stopping to wait for friends) at any point. Again, great for security, not so great for hospitality.

Handling of Big Issues:
On our third night, we had an incident where we returned to our room (late) to find a strong, unpleasant odor issuing from one of the vents. After changing a filter and spraying air freshener (neither of which addressed the root cause of the problem - so does this mean the staff does not understand how to fix problems, or did they think that we did not understand the problem and could fool us into thinking it was fixed?), they gave us another room. The man at the front desk was very kind and allowed us to get right to sleep in our new room, and move out of the old room first thing in the morning. Taking the time to move was a bit inconvenient, but I was happy that another room was available! I have never had anything like this happen to me at a hotel before, and I was a bit unsure what to expect, but from reading other reviews, I thought that perhaps the hotel might offer some compensation for the inconvenience, even if it was just something small. The next morning when we went to the front desk to let them know that our things were out of the original room, it seemed like they had no idea what was going on, and although they said they were sorry once we explained, they didn't seem to care much. We inquired whether it might be possible to use the house car for our return trip to the airport, but it was pretty clear from the shocked look on the lady's face that the house car was certainly not available for us. She did say that we could ask again when we were ready to leave for the airport, and maybe the car would be available. We thought, well, there's no harm in asking, so when we were ready to go, we asked, (again met with the awkward shocked look) and were told that the car was "just taken out for a, um........filter change." Filter change? Why not just tell the truth and say that the car is reserved for guests on a concierge level, or guests in suites, or whatever the case may be?

Minor Issues:
At one point during the stay, both of our keys stopped working. This was fixed promptly by the front desk, but of course it was inconvenient to have to go all the way up to the lobby and wait in line. I dreaded having to go back to the front desk after everything that had happened, I really did not want them to think I was a problematic guest, but what could we do?! (Also, why did I dread having to approach the front desk?)

On our fourth day, I tried to use the bathroom on the third floor to wash my hands when I went to get a pastry from the convenient to-go shop outside of MO Zen Bistro. There was a very loose door handle to enter/exit, and I could not for the life of me figure out how to turn the water on! (shouldn't this be intuitive? yikes, maybe I'm not very clever! or maybe it was actually broken?) Out of three pastries purchased on three consecutive days, one was stale, two were extra-delicious.

When we moved from one room to another, we left a cell phone charger behind. I admit that I could have lost it along the way somewhere, but I don't think I did. When I called to see if they could check the old room or the lost and found (again, I DREADED making this call), they had not found the charger. Now that I'm home and unpacked, I know that I definitely don't have the charger...so where did it go?

Business Logic:
These types of things could happen anywhere, but all in a row, at a 5 star resort? I realize that hotels have to decide which guests are worth catering to, and which are not, and from a business standpoint, I can understand why they thought that I was not worth catering to. Even though I understand the business logic, I think that this made me a little bit sad, hence my de-starring of this should-be 5 star resort!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank jlabid
Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

My friends and I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for a reunion. What a treat for us! From the luxurious furnishings, comfortable beds, and spacious bathrooms, we definitely enjoyed our stay. The valet staff were welcoming and helpful. Check in was easy and fast. When we entered our rooms, the shades opened and music played - seriously. It was quite a surprise. The gym was also large and had the best machines. There are two swimming pools but they are small lap pools so one person can ruin it for the other guests (and did). We did encounter a few small but annoying issues. To get out of the hotel room, you had to take 2 separate elevators. Depending on the time, you might have to go up to the 23rd and then down to the lobby in a different elevator. Other problems we encountered was the lack of responsiveness for small requests like extra towels, blankets or amenities. I had to call down several times for these items. Also, the pool staff were not very attentive and seemed to be socializing among each other more than paying attention to the guests. These are minor annoyances but I felt I should mention them since MOLV prides itself on service so hopefully MOLV will improve its service. Still, we had a great time here and would happily return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank randomj
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Having been to Las Vegas countless times, I can tell you that the Mandarin Oriental is truly different and special. Because of the clientele that stay at a Mandarin, the universal quality of the staff, and the lack of a casino, this is something of a hidden gem. The hotel lobby is gorgeous and has a great view of the strip and very friendly staff who bring you tea or cocktails to their comfy couches and tables. The doorman at the front of the hotel remembered who I was the whole trip and would follow up on our previous conversations every time I saw him. And finally the room..the room was awesome. Very modern and new and clean and quiet. The tub was great, the electrical outlets were all positioned perfectly, and wifi was free.

The only thing I could tell you about the place is that it isn't a party hotel - the pool and hut tub are just normal, don't expect a scene. If you are looking to be around a bunch of partying attractive 20-somethings, probably best to stay elsewhere. Here you're going to find older couples and families just relaxing and trying to pop into Vegas without too much of a fuss. For me, hiding from Hurricane Sandy, it was just right.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank delraytacos
QRO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I arrived at the Mandarin Oriental at 9pm after a long flight. The bellman opened the door of our car and did not even make an effort to help us get our luggage out of the trunk. Check in was ok and the room was fine, except for the mattress, it´s the worse mattress we´ve had in a long time. It was all worn on the sides, the only decent part was in the middle. We slept terrible for our 2 nights at the Mandarin. We had a standard room, smaller than what we expected, (we had bigger rooms this summer in Europe).

We went straight to dinner around 9:15pm to the MoZen Bistro, our server immediately brought menus and the took more than 15 minutes to take our order. After we were finished with our main courses it took him again forever to bring the desert menus. Of course forget about been offered more water or another drink, our server was never around. Next day we went to breakfast at 7:30am, also at Mozen Bistro, because we had an appointment at 9am. At 8:15am our breakfast had not been served, there were other tables around us that ordered breakfast after us and larger tables that were served before us . We asked another waiter, to tell our waiter that we had to leave and could not wait any longer , so our waiter immediately brought our breakfast, my french toast was cold of course. When we wanted our check, again, we had to ask someone else to bring it to us. On both occasions we had dinner and breakfast at Mozen Bistro, our waiters were either chatting with someone turning their backs to us or were not at the dinning room. I thought Mandarin Oriental hotels had excellent service, the service at this hotel was the worse we have had in a long time.

Room Tip: Don´t stay here
23 Thank QRO