“One of the best”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 14, 2012

It's a cliché, but customer service really has become a lost art. Perhaps more than any other city, Vegas has 5-star resorts that somehow manage to get away with giving 2-star service. It's frustrating when five stars applies only to the property itself, rather than all aspects of the hotel. This may sound like a petty gripe, but if the hotel staff treat you like an inconvenience rather than a guest, that can sour your trip pretty quickly.

Fortunately, the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group takes customer service very seriously, and this applies to their hotel in Las Vegas as well. It started as soon as I arrived at the hotel, where I was immediately greeted by a host and shown up to my room, completely bypassing the usual check-in process. The instant we stepped into my room, the lights came on, the curtains opened up, and soft music started playing from the sound system. I never even saw the bellhop arrive, but my bags somehow materialized while the host was still giving me a tour of the room. All of this happened within five minutes of my arrival, whereas in other hotels I would still be standing in line waiting to check in.

"Subdued" is the word of the day in Mandarin Oriental. Rather than copy the glitz of most Vegas resorts, this hotel is bathed in dark tones, elegant accents, and a tasteful Asian decor. The volume is kept to a minimum, even in the restaurants and the bar. This results in a calm, relaxed environment, which is a welcome change from the endless sensory bombardment that is Las Vegas.

Best of all, every single member of the staff I encountered was polite, enthusiastic, and actively went out of their way to accommodate me. Whenever I asked for a cab, they instead offered to take me in the house car (a Mercedes S-Class) at no charge. When I mentioned to the bartender at Mandarin Bar that I didn't know much about bourbon, he immediately poured me a complimentary shot of top-shelf liquor and explained what I should look for in the taste. When I had trouble deciding what to order at MOzen Bistro, the waiter took the time to ask me about my tastes, which restaurants I normally preferred, and somehow made an amazing suggestion based on my vague ramblings.

(Coincidentally, the food at MOzen Bistro is absolutely incredible, and I strongly encourage everyone to eat there at least once.)

Naturally, it's not perfect. The bathtub drain is located in the middle of the tub, making it easy to accidentally release it while bathing. Having to take two separate elevator rides to get to the room can be a bit of an annoyance, even if it does add an extra layer of security. The entrance to Mandarin Oriental is somewhat hidden, and can be challenging to find the first couple times. They offer complimentary coffee and tea, but only from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m., which is obscenely early by Vegas standards. The views are also hit and miss - due to the hotel's location, you might have a great view of the Strip, or you might have (as I did) a commanding view of Planet Hollywood and the parking garage.

Perhaps the biggest problem with staying at the Mandarin Oriental is that you start to notice several little details that the other hotels have overlooked. For instance, the ice bucket in my room actually had ice in it (what a concept!). The blackout curtains actually darkened the room. The staff actually respected the privacy light, to the point that even room service will not knock on your door if the privacy light is on (instead, the front desk will call to inform you that room service has arrived). Housekeeping visited the room twice daily instead of once, and turndown service was complimentary. There were also two complimentary bottles of water waiting in my room every time I came back.

It's no wonder Mandarin Oriental is one of the highest-rated hotels in Vegas. The service alone makes this hotel worthy of five stars. If you're looking for a hotel that treats you like an honored guest rather than a footnote on the quarterly report, there is no place better to stay than here.

Room Tip: If you're not comfortable seeing your roommate naked, upgrade to at least a Premier room. Stand...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Scott W
Write a ReviewReviews (6,227)

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The hotel is well located, around halfway along the strip but has a pleasant, calm atmosphere that makes it feel like you're a world away. All staff were very welcoming and helpful. Cityscape room was of a good size to accommodate a couple (I was travelling alone) although probably more european than US size for a double. The decor was pleasant and th furnishings comfortable; bathroom was well equipped and again tastefully decorated. I was surprised on check-in to be advised of a $24 per night mandatory resort fee that seemed to provide little more than wifi and a cup of tea or coffee in the morning, however this is a minor gripe - overall an excellent stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bad_u_turn
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Booked last minute through our travel agency. Greeted by warm receptionist Amanda, upgraded us to city view room 1533 for free. Entire hotel smoke free and non gaming, an oasis in Vegas. The room wasn't ready naturally at 10:30AM when we arrived so we headed to the spa. WOW! I had a facial by Jude, who was awesome. The spa facility is exceptional. Clean and all the amenities of home to shower and vanity after. The jacuzzi not too hot, could stay in for hours. Our room was ready at 1, and we were so pleased. Such comfortable beds! Black out automatic screens to wipe out the las Vegas lights completely and let you sleep. The service continued with excellence at the Mo Bistro breakfast. Our waiter Jay was excellent and the food delicious. The pool is peaceful! I ordered chicken nuggets and fries. I waited 30 minutes without complaint-- the pool manager brought me the food himself and insisted it be complimentary! "we are so sorry for the delay" he said and I didn't even complain! Amazing. We tried the gym too-- had a great workout class from Reba. Wonderful clean fitness center. Oh and I highly recommend tea time! On the 23rd floor overlooking the strip. So cool. I Love Love Love this hotel! I'd give it 6 stars if I could. Stop looking, stay here. ;)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank shira s
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Travelling with teenagers we spent 3 nights in Vegas after visiting Yosemite, Death Valley and the Grand Canyon - the Mandarin was a perfect base from which to visit Vegas, on the Strip close to shops, shows and sights. We visited other much larger hotels, which in themselves were fascinating but so busy and noisy. As Glenn the Bell Hop said as we arrived back from Phantom "Welcome home "family name" to peace and tranquility".
The strip view rooms were excellent, although tea, coffee and milk would have been appreciated (as a kettle and mugs are provided). The pool service was also excellent with staff regularly providing iced water and complimentary tasters such as frozen fruit and ices, the pool was fine for the teenagers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Louise1960_11
Reviewed August 12, 2012

justbreak just coming to the end of a 8 night stay at the hotel in Las Vegas. we came here for a friends wedding and wouldn't usually come to such a commercially oriented city. We chose the hotel because it seemed quieter than others on th es trip and it doesn't have th Eloise and bustle associated with casinos.
The stay has been amazing! The quality of the hotel and the attention and professionalism of the staff are second to none.
I particularly love the room facilities which include a valet closet, a privacy alert option, centralised electronics for the curtains (with both sheer and blackout options), room lighting and a TV screen in the bathroom (important for a Brit abroad during the Olympics), twice a day room service- the list goes on.
Although we are unlikely to return to Vegas, I will be looking out for The Mardarin Oriental brand on my future trips.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Winicat
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Cannot compare with other hotels in LV, as this is the only one I stayed at. A little research before hand paid off. We wanted somewhere close to the strip, but away from the bustle. The peace and quiet at this hotel is amazing considering it's position. I went in some of the other well known hotels (that have casinos, etc.) - and their front desks are hectic! Not so the MO. Rooms are fantastic. You could not wish for more. You will not be disappointed staying here. At time of writing (and our stay), there was an offer of third nights stay free - which brought price below some of the competition. Trust the reviews for this hotel. Maybe not the cheapest hotel in LV, but ff you want quiet luxury on the strip, you won't go far wrong staying here.

Room Tip: All rooms excellent. Junior suite overlooking strip is best value. All rooms are quiet and well equi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dadofnog
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This was our second time at the hotel and it was amazing again. We got upgraded to a Cityscape room through Visa and the room was very quiet. Super nice. We enjoyed the pool every day. Manager was extremely nice and the staff seem like they really enjoy working there. We had a few housekeeping issues but the hotel handled them exceptionally well. That is a mark of a great hotel. We ate at the MoZen bistro one night and the service and food were first class.
The best part for us were the doormen. Friendly, helpful, gracious, funny. They remember your name and truly welcome you home every time you return. If you want a quiet oasis with unparalleled service stay here. You will not regret it. We will be back again next year.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators. You can hear them swishing.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple