“Quiet and quite nice”

GreenLeadersGold level
Marshfield Hills, Massachusetts
“Quiet and quite nice”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I go to Las Vegas at least once a year on business and I'm not a gambler. Finding a peaceful haven in the middle of all the "what happens in Vegas" is high on my list. Mandarin Oriental did exactly that for me. It was close to where my meetings were being held, but with no crazy smoke filled mad-house on the ground level. The hotel room was clean, large, comfortable and the wifi worked. The shower and bathtub were magnificent, the staff were excellent and getting around was easy. They had a 3rd night free option, which allowed me to catch a nap and a shower and leave for my red-eye flight straight from checking out.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dobrienma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,223)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Let me start off by saying that the Mandarin Oriental Hotel was not even on my radar of hotel choices when I was trying to decide which property to stay at during my visit to Vegas. Prior to all my Vegas planning, I convinced myself that I just needed a simple, middle of the road room since I would be spending the majority of my time outside of hotel. At the last minute, I noticed that the Mandarin was offering a "stay 3 nights, get the 3rd night free" deal. Even with the offer, the price range was still over what I was budgeting for accommodations. However, I decided to make the jump - I wanted to find out for myself why the Mandarin Oriental holds the #1 spot on TripAdvisor for Vegas Hotels.

We arrived at the hotel with warm greetings from the doorman as well as the curbside attendant. Because this is a non-gaming hotel, there wasn't a maze of slot machines, gaming tables or a crowd of people to weave through before getting to the Registration desk - very relaxing to say the least as it only took maybe 5 seconds to get to the elevator from the entrance of the hotel. We took the elevator to the 23rd floor to get to the Registration desk where we received another pleasant welcome immediately followed by warm face cloths to wipe down our hands with. Check in was a breeze and we were on our way to the room in no time. We were on the 21st floor in one of the Strip view rooms.

The zen feel and the modern touch were one of the first things I noticed about the room. At the entrance to the room was the closet and drawer space which kept our luggage and other items from taking up the main living space of the room. The bathroom was definitely big enough to comfortably accommodate 2 people getting ready at the same time - including 2 separate sinks with ample counter space. A few other nice touches to point out about the bathroom: the shower stall essentially had 2 shower heads - the second one was more of a handheld showerhead. The cocoon shaped bath tub was larger and deeper than your average bath tub. The provided bath salts made for a relaxing soak. The bathroom also had a TV to watch while soaking in the tub. The toilet was sectioned off behind a glass wall.

The bed was super comfortable and clean. One great feature of the room was that the TV, lighting throughout the room (including the bathroom) and the window shades can all be controlled by a touchpad provided bedside. There's even a "do not disturb" function - no need to walk to the door to set out a "do not disturb" placard.

We checked out the pool area one day. Even though it was about 90% full, the noise level was not bothersome - I was able to doze off on their cushioned loungers. We didn't order any food/drinks. However, the pleasant pool staff was always available if necessary. A mega size pool area was at the bottom of my list as a "must have" - so I was perfectly fine that Mandarin's pool area was smaller and more intimate. I didn't need a wave pool or lazy river during this trip =)

Within the last couple years, I stayed at Paris, Bellagio, Wynn and Caesar’s. So far the Mandarin Oriental is my favorite hands down.

The Mandarin Oriental Hotel more than exceeded my needs for a tranquil environment after a full day on the Strip. This place is truly an oasis that I WILL be returning to again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ariesguy74
Essex
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Having stayed here we now realise why this hotel is Number 1 in Las Vegas. From the moment we were picked up by the hotel (their car service) it was obvious we were in hotel heaven. After a very quick check in we were shown to our lovely Cityscape room on the 14th floor which had more gadgets/controls to die for. Very comfortable bed/pillows, lovely toiletries every day and even had hair straigteners too! Loved the bath tub watching the TV!

Housekeeping were discreet and thank you for the fruit/biscuits we were left. Everything about this hotel is top notch. They have just about thought of everything to make your life so easy.

The pool area is lovely, clean and the staff were very attentive and nothing is too much trouble at all. Every day they offered "sample" cups of fruit juice, smoothies, frest fruit and frozen fruit on sticks which were very welcome in the Vegas heat (also bottled water was available) - these little things just made the difference - by the way we were not given the same "sampler" twice in the 8 days we were there.

We ate at the Pool Cafe and MoZen and no complaints at all - we felt the food was reasonably priced and very good.

All staff were welcoming and courteous. If you come to Vegas wanting the casino life then this is not the hotel for you but after all the noise outside the MO it was heaven walking into this oasis of calm.

Thank you for making our stay so memorable - we will definitely come back to the Mandarin Oriental.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank thewallsonvacation
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

This is a very exclusive (and hence quiet) hotel on the strip. The service (from all levels of staff) is bar none! The food in both restaurants (Twist and Mozen) is top notch. These are just a few of the reasons that make this hotel top notch!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Petroski
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 18, 2012

My car has been damaged while being handled by the valet service, I of course went to mention this issue to the general manager whose reaction has been outrageous. I have been considered as a liar without even giving my words credits for a second.

I am outraged and humiliated by the way this incident has NOT BEEN TAKEN CARE OF. The Manager literally insulted my intelligence with his answers, by trying to prove me with cameras film that DO NOT SHOW ANYTHING, and so trying to free him from responsibility.

this place DO NOT know at all how to take care of customers... and this is a 5 stars hotels??
really bad time there

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
22 Thank Jean Louis G
Delaware
Reviewed May 18, 2012

My husband and I had the extreme pleasure of staying at the Mandarin Oriental last week for our wedding/honeymoon. We had never been to Las Vegas before and we did a lot of research before-hand on where to stay. We settled upon the Mandarin due to the location on the strip, the great deal with getting one night free, the reviews we read, and the fact that there was no casino (= no cigarette smoke). We couldn’t have made a better choice! This hotel is total first class all the way. Every employee we encountered went above and beyond in helping make your stay just perfect.

Room: We booked a City-Scape Suite, which is a suite at the very end of the hallway. Upon entering the suite, you have a short hallway and enter a gorgeous living room. All of the rooms in this suite have floor to ceiling windows which showcase spectacular views of the strip, city and mountains in the distance. The living room has a huge television with a sound bar where you can hook up your iPod to play your music. There were even music cd’s in one of the drawers if you wished for something different. There was a small fridge with some pricy snacks, water and alcoholic beverages. We bought some of our own next door at the CVS (very affordable alcohol there by the way) and put it in the fridge. The living room has 2 nice sized chairs and a decent sized sofa. The bedroom was through a very heavy set of double-doors, so you can close off the bedroom from the living room. The bedroom has another large television and THE most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. It was like sleeping in a cloud. The pillows were like little clouds as well. Ahhh…I miss that bed! There was another small hallway leading to the bathroom and in that hallway is the closet and 2 drawers for clothes. I was a little disappointed at the drawer space, as there were only 2 drawers, but I just made my husband live out of his suitcase. He didn’t seem to mind.

Bathroom: On to the bathroom….oh, the bathroom…..as you enter the bathroom for the first time, it just takes your breath away. Against the windows in the bathroom (again, floor to ceiling windows), is a huge, elegant bathtub. I was drooling…I love a nice bath. At first it is a bit shocking as it would appear that everyone in the Aria hotel will be able to see you soaking away in your bathtub, but they assured me the windows are mirrored on the outside. I was in that tub twice a day, every day of the trip. The bath salts they leave by the tub smell divine and leave your skin silky smooth. Every night, during turn-down service, they even leave rose petals on the tub – beautiful touch. The toiletries they leave smell amazing as well. Aside from the tub there was a giant shower with a big shower head, as well as a hand-held sprayer. There is a his and her sink on opposite sides of the bathroom as well. The women’s side has a nice jewelry box with all kinds of goodies inside (toothpaste kit, shower cap, sewing kit, etc.). There is even a flat iron and a powerful hair dryer. It was nice to not to have to lug my hair dryer along.

Pool: We used the pool every day. What an amazing and relaxing pool! I cannot commend the pool staff enough. They circle the area quite a bit checking on guests to see if there is anything at all they need or want. I even heard some other (grumpy) guests being quite stern with them and yet, they remain calm and always have a smile. We ordered many different drinks from the bar while there. They were all very delicious, yet pricey…but you are on vacation after all. The spa water was my favorite. They do make a mean strawberry colada as well though. Mmmm! What I liked best about the pool was the fact that it isn’t some monstrosity of a pool where hundreds of people are trying to swim together. While waiting for the Aria tram we were watching the pool goers at the pool at Monte Carlo and it looked like a drunken college party. Not my idea of a vacation. The Mandarin Pool is serene, quiet and never too crowded. We also ate lunch a couple of times at the pool. Amazing food!

Spa: My husband and I both used the spa while here and it was pure bliss. I had a massage with Troy and it was, hands down, the best massage I’ve ever had (and I’ve had many). The facilities that are available to use before and after your treatments are incredible. I almost felt like I was there alone, as I only ever saw 3 other women in there. You are allowed to use the spa facilities all day the day of your treatment, which was really nice. I have never been more relaxed.

I have to add that we visited the Bellagio twice during our stay in Vegas and, while nice, it was just over-run with tourists and drunks. It was so crowded in some areas that you could not walk at a normal pace. I also noticed the front desk area was packed to the gills. I’m sure hotel guests had to wait quite a bit to get checked in there. It was the opposite of the Mandarin. If you want a relaxing vacation – if you want to be a name (yes, they remember your name!) and not a number – if you want top-notch, personal service 24/7 – if you want to visit the crazy town of Las Vegas, but not live in it - stay at the Mandarin. I can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: The higher the floor, obviously, the better the view. If you can, spring for a suite! The CityScap...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tbanana
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2012

My family (2 adults and two teenagers) spent two nights at the Meridian in Las Vegas. We selected the Meridian based on my positive experience in Shanghai and that fact Trip Advisor reviewers ranked, it at the time, as #3 out a large number of Vegas "family" hotels.

The hotel was a disappointment as it did not meet expectations on being as pleasant an experience as I had in Shanghai and that it was not particularly family oriented.

We had two negative experiences which readers should be aware of. Our television simply would not work. Repair staff visited out room three times, the second evening we were at the hotel, but with no avail. My spouse and I are afficiaendo of Mad Men and the 2 hour season premier was that night. And it was my spouse’s birthday and, well … you get the picture. And to my surprise the walls shared with adjoin rooms are as thin as rice paper. Unfortunately we had a feuding family (sounded Italian) next door and they literally screamed at each other in the evening and in the morning (we were woken up at 6 a.m. – on a Sunday – they must have had jet lag issues). So do keep that in mind if you are not part of the no-sleep Strip set.

While parking is free, its about a 10 minute walk to get to the hotel’s parkade, shared with the Aria next door (where I’m from the national past time is NOT to pay for parking, and $20 plus tip to the Meridian valet service just was not on.

The positives were that the hotel was lovely and off the hub-bub of the Strip. The staff were excellent.

So while I give it four stars it is definitely not family oriented. I had expected 4.5+ star plus.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family