“NO COMPLIMENTARY COFFEE IN YOUR ROOM!!”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

What sours the beautiful room, the excellent location, and ambience is the nickel and diming. You are already paying top dollar to stay there,but they don't even provide complimentary coffee in the rooms,(even though you pay a mandatory daily 25$ fee) for things most hotels provide for free, such as use of pool, gym, internet.etc. even the building is carefully constructed to maximize your spending. The elevator from the rooms don't go directly to ground, so you have to pause and walk to another elevator,so that your made to pass by their restaurant/coffee bar where you can get a 9 dollar coffee!

• Stayed: May 2012
19  Thank Vancouverlb

Reviewed May 12, 2012

We stayed one night only at the Mandarin Oriental in april 2012 and we hope we will come back one day. We booked a room with two double beds for two adults and one kid. We received a perfect welcome at check-in : kind and professional, not stiff at all. The " Sky Lobby " is on the 23rd floor and you have to take a second, private, elevator to access the rooms.

Our luxurious room was stunning, both elegant and with great technology : the room environment was controlled on the tv screen : music, television, temperature, lightning and curtains. The bathroom was splendid too, restroom and shower (with a classic wall-mounted shower and a hand held one) were separated, there were two washbowls and a pretty bath plus a lot of products and accessories. The best of all was the tv in the mirror.

The breakfast was not included in our room rate.

The pool is not the largest one in LV but seems very stylish, unfortunately, we didn’t have enough time to enjoy it.
Wi-Fi is included in the resort fee but parking is not so you can pay for the valet or choose to park free at the Aria self park, a few minutes walk from the Mandarin.

The Mandarin is located in the City Center (this new large complex of hotels, restaurants and shops on the Strip), next to the Monte Carlo and not far, on the other side of the Strip, from the MGM Grand or the New York-New York. But there is no casino in the Mandarin so it’s an enclave of peace in the middle of the Strip .
The room, the location, the staff, all was excellent. If the double beds had been longer, our stay would have been the perfect one.

Room Tip: If possible, enjoy a room with a Strip view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I booked this hotel through Expedia as it was very highly rated and am extremely disappointed, I have stayed at Venetian, bellagio, Wynn and trump and this would rate below all of the others, the lobby is unimpressive. Only p,us reception staff are very friendly and helpfull would not stay here again

Room Tip: Rooms on strip are noisy
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank icamillo
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This was my first stay at a Mandarin Oriental property and found the experience lacking on several factors. Overall, Las Vegas has nice property, but clumsy service everywhere. Perhaps experience with The Peninsula hotels has jaded me.

At check-in, I was the only one in line, but all four desk staff were on the phone and none acknowledged my presence. Finally, and after several minutes, someone rushed over to check me into my room.

My reservation was recorded wrong… but I clearly showed the reservation confirmation from American Express to the confused desk clerk. She promised that she would have someone sort it out ASAP and call me in my room with the resolution. No one ever called.

Before issuing my keys, she made sure to tell me about the ‘exciting’ amenities included in the mandatory resort fee. The fee includes use of the pool (it’s a 5-star hotel, I would surely hope so), coffee, local calls, and internet. This finale of the check-in experience simply served to cheapen the entire experience.

Room was somewhat small, but very nicely presented. Walk in closet is terrific. Technology was great. Bathroom was pretty impressive, though soaps/shampoos/conditioner were from some aromatherapy brand I had never heard of. Mandarin Oriental – use that as an opportunity to impress.

I went down to the pool and asked about the café menu. I was told they stopped serving at 7:30, so I had some time to decide. At 6:45, I went to place my order only to be told the kitchen had been closed for two hours. Bad information and lackluster service again. So, I ordered a $7 beer. It was warm. The cabana across from me was filled with extra/broken garden furniture and fixtures. This is not befitting of a 5-star guest experience. Hide it! Anywhere!

This is a property that could really define a niche for business travelers in Vegas, something the Four Seasons sought to do and did not succeed at. But, with Sheraton-quality staffing and some cheap details, the overall execution is lacking.

Based on this experience, I’ll stay at the Park Hyatt’s and Peninsulas of the world when they’re available. They ‘blow me away’ with their service every time. As for Las Vegas, it seems Wynn’s Encore is set to reclaim my business in 2 weeks.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 11, 2012

If you must come to Las Vegas and you want a hotel away from the noise and the glitz, the MO is the place to stay. It is well located in the middle of the Strip with an easy walk to all the major casinos and shopping. We had a lovely CityScape room on the 22nd floor that was spacious, comfortable, and quiet. We can't say enough about the staff. From those downstairs who handled the luggage and transportation to the front desk who helped with dinner reservations and our five hour drive to the Grand Canyon. We probably will not be back to LV, but if there is ever an opportunity to stay at another MO, we will.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Top notch hotel in every respect:
(1) quick and efficient check-in at impressive 23d floor's reception area - forget about queues
(2) well thought through and immaculate room - from technology kit to bedding, bathroom, remote control to operate TV to curtains
(3) great pool area - two lap pools 15-17 m length, on 8th floor and protected from outside, very relaxing
(4) great friendly and attentive staff - tipping them is a pleasure itself
(5) non-smoking in all areas
(6) no casino, one-arms - such a contrast to other properties in the city
(7) close to Strip and all the great shows from MGM's to Caesars'

Highly and unconditionally recommended

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This is a gorgeous property that has the nicest employees and wonderful amenities and activities.
The room was very quiet and the bed was sinfully comfortable--I never wanted to get out of it. The bathroom is large with a separate large tub and shower.
The workout room is very nice and they have personal trainers on duty who do free classes throughout the day. I went to a kinetics wall class and since I was the only one who showed up, Mary Jane (love her!!!!), worked with me one on one--imagine having a one hour session with a personal trainer for free. OMG I had sweat rolling down my back--it was a great workout. She convinced me to come back in an hour for her pilates class. That was fantastic too. There was one other student in that class. I got another great workout--my abs were very sore the next day.
After all that exercise I decided to treat myself to lunch by the pool. The pool area is beautiful and pretty big too. The people who work in the pool area are wonderful. I had a delicious beet salad and a BLT.
I needed to have my hair cut and highlighted because I was WAY overdue so I made an appointment with Shannon. She did a great job with my hair. I was nervous to have someone else treat my hair but she did make my hair look pretty. If I lived in Vegas I would want her to do my hair.
There are many casinos near the Mandarin and they were very easy to access so I never felt far removed from the action on the strip.
I went to the Mandarin Bar one evening to have a couple of glasses of champagne and I really enjoyed the service and the view from the 23rd floor.
On my last day I decided to have breakfast. I ordered their version of eggs benedict where the poached eggs were sitting on lump crabmeat rather than english muffins. So good, but very rich, I couldn't eat all of it.
I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Vegas--the Mandarin spoiled me!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo