“Remains to be mostly lacking”

We can't find prices for this hotel
El Cortez Cabana Suites
Ranked #109 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Dallas, Texas
“Remains to be mostly lacking”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

More important, did not get the promised discount on the room rate, very expensive wifi internet service, no free local phone calls in the rooms, wakeup service request did not execute as requested, no direct shuttle to and from the airport, food at the hotel restaurants very mediocre, TV cable service in the room was spotty ( picture kept fading in and out - with pixels ) and no one came to fix it although I requested twice to have it attended to, no Ice Making machine on each floor, had to go downstairs to the loby to get ice, every tiem it ran out !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank callcentertiger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I loved this hotel! Great location, clean, comfortable, charming decor and a friendly staff. What more could I have asked for.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank KFahrig
Elkhart, Indiana, United States
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My husband and I got a good deal at El Cortez, so we dicided we would give it a try! OMG! It was Awesome! The Cabana Suites are decorated beautifuly! The room was large and clean. The whole building is quiet and there is a security guard at the entrance! We will stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank akp090909
Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stayed for five nights Sunday to Thursday in a Junior Suite for about $30 a night. For that price it is hard to beat the value of this place. The hotel and rooms still have a like new appearance. The junior suite adds some more space and a chair compared to the non suite rooms, but was still on the cozy side. Not sure if I'd want to spend much time in the next room size down. Room has a funky green / black and white colour scheme. Neat. The view was not much, just the street behind the Casino. Don't come for the view. The hotel has five floors and one elevator.
There was a mini-fridge and a good size flat screen tv. The bathroom was spacious with a glass walled shower big enough for two people ( or even three for the very adventurous types ) to shower together. The sink isn't a flush mount type, but rises out of the bathroom fixture making for blind spots where your razor or whatever can fall and you won't see it without bending down or feeling around with your hand.
A neat thing was that every morning there was fresh fruit out in the lobby and in the exercise area. Apples, pears, oranges and bananas. I think I probably got about $3 worth of free fruit off the El Cortez each day. There is also ice water provided in the exercise room that tastes better than the tap water in the room. There is a manned desk in the lobby and there is always a security guard posted outside the entrance door. Walking to and from the end of the Fremont Street Experience to the hotel takes about five minutes. It is two blocks from where the bright lights end to the Cabana Suites. Doing this walk after midnight several times I had no problems - just keep alert to your surroundings.
If you are looking for fast food nearby the choices are not that great. There is a McDonald's and a Dunkin Donuts in the Freemont Street Casino's a five minute walk away, as well as other casual restaurants and pubs.
TIP - got to the Fremont Street Experience offices on the second floor of the carpark above the Walgreens on Fremont and get the two pages of coupon offers. There are two 2 for 1 buffet offers - one for Fremont Casino and the other for the Main Street Station Casino. All you need to do is sign up for the Players Club card. Now you and your buddy can get an all you can eat meal for about $15 including tips for breakfast lunch or $20 for dinner.

Room Tip: Remember check-in is at the desk inside the El Cortez Casino not at the Cabana Suites. Go for the J...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank canada75
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 16, 2012

The El Cortez's semi-new Cabana Suites feature some of the most distinctly different hotel rooms in Las Vegas. I'm a big fan of Downtown but had never stayed there until recently, when a friend recommended The El Cortez's funky/ boutiquey annex. My friends and I stayed in a room with a very cool, art-deco vibe. The place also features rooms created by local designers, which look super rad if you are able to book them. The prices were great as well, as we paid just $50 between the three of us on a Friday night in a very cool spot located within short walking distance to all the awesome bars in Downtown. Until they open an Ace Hotel in Vegas, this is the most artsy and hipstery hotel you'll find in Sin City.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Seth G
Wapato, Washington
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This hotel was so eligant and cozy. It had a walk in shower, double sink a mini refregirator and sofas for relaxing television watching. Our room was located on the fifth floor and it was very spaceous about the size of a small studio.When I go to Vegas I am difinetly going to reserve at this hotel. It is nice and quiet during sleeping hours and is located close to Freemont street where you can catch The Deuce city bus for a trip to the Vegas strip.

Room Tip: Room 4206 on fifth floor was amazing!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EManriquez
Orlando
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My significant other (SO) and I stayed 2 nights (April 24-26) in the Jr. Suite, and I must say we were totally impressed! We had previously wandered into the casino on our last trip to Vegas and decided next time we went back we would stay there.

We were going to stay in the older portion of the hotel, but found an AWESOME deal via bookit.com and ended up only paying $55 (tax included) for 2 nights!

For those not too familiar with the location, the property is located towards the end of the Fremont Street Attraction, so not necessarily the nicest of areas. It was great having our own security guard at the suites themselves (2 at night, 1 inside and 1 outside) to ensure no unregistered guests wandered in.

For those of you used to 4-5 star properties, you probably won't be overwhelmed by anything here. A Jr suite here is NOT the same standard of a Jr Suite of a higher caliber hotel. We weren't looking for the higher caliber so everything was great for us.

Pros:
- SUPER comfy king bed!! Probably one of the best hotel beds I have ever slept in!
- Fun and funky decor and design - the walls really are a bright lime green but they're not bad enough that it's blinding...we didn't mind at all as it's a nice change from blah colors! And the black and white furniture and accessories were a cute retro touch
- Complimentary candy and fruit (whole apples and oranges) in the cabana lobby downstairs
- Security always present 24/7 - not that there were any issues, just good to always see their presence
-Located across the street from the actual El Cortez Casino and Hotel - still just as close to all the attraction!
- Cafe Cortez: located in the main building - fresh, homemade food, plus it's open 24/7 for those that need a late night snack - servers are always friendly
- Walk in shower is AMAZING!!
-Super Quiet and rooms have a pretty decent view- cityview was fine with us!
-Room and bathroom were spotless! Seriously I'm picky when it comes to cleanliness in hotel rooms and this was very clean

Cons
Only 3 that I can think of...
-Air conditioning seemed to run on the warmer side during the day but when we woke up in the morning it was like an icebox and it had been left on the same setting as the daytime...weird!

- Housekeeping did not show up until 530pm on the first day, so we just declined housekeeping services. They seemed kind of surprised by that but we figured what was the point since we were checking out the next day.

- Upon checkout the agent wasn't unfriendly, but she gave me a look after I turned in my keys and stated my room number and asked why I didn't check out at the Cabana Lobby...I in turn asked her why I should assume I could have checked out at the Cabana Lobby if we couldn't check in there...she didn't have a response to that...LOL

Overall, we totally enjoyed our stay there and would stay there again if we didn't need to be close to the 'main action' of the Strip. Again, we weren't expecting a 4-5 star property so we totally got what we paid for and loved every minute!

Room Tip: We were in 6315 and did not face towards Fremont Street. We were OK with that but I think the even n...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple