“Another great time at the JW Marriott”

JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Ranked #47 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the JW Marriott. I had a great stay as usual. The service was supurb, housekeeping staff were friendly and very efficient. Upon arrival, I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite. Huge room and very comfortable. I know from other trips that the regular rooms are very large and comfortable as well. The 2 bedroom corner suites are gigantic.
The grounds were immaculate, the pool is actually one of my favorites in the Las Vegas area. Over the years, I have stayed in most of the hotels along the strip and I have to say, the JW Marriott is by far my favorite place to stay. I believe that we have stayed here at least 10+ times, sometimes solo while on business, sometimes with my family. My wife likes the spa and we both take advantage of the work out facility-one of the nicer ones in Las Vegas.
My recommendation is to rent a car. My full size car averaged $20 per day and made getting around and down to the strip an easy task.

Room Tip: Rent a car and take 215 around the outskirts of Las Vegas, I made it out to the hotel from the car r...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,058)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was my first time in Vegas and I'm so glad I stayed at the JW Marriott! It was the perfect hotel! I had no interest in spending any time at the strip so I was fine with the fact that this hotel is away from the main part of Vegas. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms immaculate and HUGE! I wish we had time to go to the pool and use the other facilities because I'm sure they were great as well...next time. There was absolutely nothing negative about this hotel. I would definitely go back to Las Vegas just to be able to spend more time at this hotel. It just felt like a very luxurious getaway in every way. I highly recommend this hotel!!!

1  Thank Nancy1CO
Kevin G, Director of Room Operations at JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Nancy,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I agree, the grounds and rooms are beautiful! We can't wait to have you back.

Kevin Glass

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went here for a relaxing girls weekend. The hotel was nice, and the grounds were beautiful. It didn't even feel like we were in Vegas, which I really appreciated.
The spa was very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed my facial and pedicure and relaxing in the different pools.
The room was nice and very clean. The bathroom was great. It was HUGE! It had a spa time and a large stand up shower with double shower head. It was almost like still being at the spa in your own room.
The hotel had some decent restaurants. We got the package that included the breakfast buffet. It was pretty good, but I'd probably skip it if you have to pay for it separately.

Room Tip: If you want to request a certain view, make sure you are very specific. We didn't get quite the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here several weekends over the last few years and every time the stay has been absolutely awesome. The rooms are clean, and lavishly furnished. We've always gotten a deluxe room and it's been just right. Our most favorite are the rooms overlooking the garden. There are french doors that you can open and the garden smells waft into your room taking you away to a momentary paradise.

I love the huge whirlpool tub and my hubby loves the raindrop shower. I've been fortunate to have spa treatments at Aquae Sulis every trip and they've all been exquisite. I really like that the spa staff not only provides excellent services but they also educated me on some things. The lady that did my facial on one of my visits really gave me a breakdown on my skin. She gave me some excellent product selections and informed me I really needed to use sunscreen and at a high SPF due to my complexion (I've never worn sunscreen even growing up in sunny California, but now wish I had). I never felt pressured into buying any products but got an authentic feeling of concern.

We've had packages that always include breakfast and sometimes dinner at Ceres and again everything was great. The food was well proportioned, well cooked, excellent wait staff...the list goes on.

The central air/heat is automatically regulated and if a door is opened it shuts off. Nice feature in case you run out and figure you turned the thermostat too high or too low.

I believe this is a great weekend getaway because you can explore the hotel, use the available amenities, explore the casino, gamble a little, if that's your thing and enjoy the pool and gardens. However, it can be a 25 to 35 minute drive to the strip and there's not much else to do "next door". the next closest casino is about 10 minutes down the road. So if you're fine with staying on property this would be excellent.

Shop around for deals and check their website (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lasjw-jw-marriott-las-vegas-resort-and-spa/) for packages which can include great amenities and big savings.

If you want to stay more than four days or a full week you may want to consider staying on the Strip as the deals are out of this world and you'll be right on the Strip. The JW does provide shuttle service to the infamous Fashion Show Mall....but again expect it to be at least a 35 minute trip there, depending on traffic.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Celeste J
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I am a real believer in the value of staff, and my experience here with the staff was that the staff was generally quite good. The difference in the authority given to each of the folks at registration was evident as I was moved to a room closer to the front simply by asking while another guest standing next to me was told it was impossible to move them from the back. Obviously there is the possibility that I had the last room in the front of the hotel, but it would help the other guest to know that if it was the case. In general the staff, including the housekeeping folks, were super friendly. The reason for the rating is largely based upon the cost as it relates to the quality of the room and in relation to its distance from most of the town's activities. For those coming for golf, it should be a great option. We would consider using this location for events if prices were better or once renovations were complete.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in April.
Pros:
Clean room
comfortable bed
large room
great pool area
beautiful property
overall, a friendly staff

cons:
spotty pool service (1st day our waitress was attentive and friendly and great. 2nd day I asked for a menu and was told to ask our waitress - I thought she was our waitress. Our large group ended up just walking back and forth to the bar anytime we needed to order food or drinks.)

We stayed in the Palms tower. it would have been nice to have someone at the front desk in that area to keep us from having to walk across the hotel for things, but it wasn't a huge deal.

lots of fees - room service fees (got charged $5 service fee for a $5 pot of coffee) and wifi fees. These should be included)

Overall we enjoyed the property. I'd recommend it to anyone who is staying in the Summerlin area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2013

If you like a challenge you can choose to stay at this magnificent resort and spa. Absolutely nothing went smoothly. Three of us, all came at different times and each of us had problems with our reservation.
I guess it started when one of the three of us called to see if there was a shuttle. No, they said. It cost us each $70 one way to cab it to the hotel, come to find out that they did have a $30 shuttle and a $57 car service to and from the airport.
Once they found the reservation they had me down for one night I made reservations for two.
One night was on points one night was paid, my friend and I asked to have rooms on the same floor if not next to each other. They made a note when she made the reservation on the phone, then lost it.
The next morning my friend thought it would be good to go to the front desk to be sure things were going to be correct for the next night. The woman at the desk said she needed her manager to do something. The manager came out and started to work on the line that had formed behind us. Are you sitting down, the manager said I'll be with you in a moment I'd like to get some of the people in this line taken care of. HELLO we were first in line. We were steaming.
We asked them to fix it and call the room so we could get the work done we intended to do. They called and told us it was all figured out and that someone would come up with my keys. Later we called to see if the hotel shuttle would take us to a nearby restuarant, sure no problem. Just come down and they'll take you.
Time for dinner, guess which keys didn't work so I could drop my work stuff in my own room. I waited for about 10 minutes, not bad. Get down to the bell desk and the bellman says we cannot take you to the restaurant, you should have called first! Unreal.
Had my key worked we would have had time to wait a bit for the ride, he's blaming us for not calling then he says, I'm not kidding, he says No one smiles at me, boo hoo.
It keeps going like this the whole time!
The following morning I go downstairs to get coffee from Starbucks (hence the 1 star) and locked myself out of my room. So, I walk over to the front desk, and ask for a new key. The lady says, hold on your name looks familiar, we show that you didn't show last night. We were going to bill you for a missed whatever!
I'd like to remind you that I was only there two days, one half of the day on the second day I was at an appointment.
We stop at the desk on the way to the appointment because I didn't get a checkout receipt. Oh, the lady says, you didn't get one because we expected you to check out tomorrow! Remember that they "fixed" the reservation to be what we expected it to be, two nights in a row. One room each person.
The whole thing was CRAZY. Oh, remember the $57 car service to the airport? They made a special effort to make sure we knew that it included the tip, it did not.
The hotel is awesome the staff is filled with whiners, finger pointing incompetents. I'm getting a headache writing it all out.

The room was clean, the sheets were cool. I had plenty of room but the people are just not trained in customer service. Really he said no one smiles at me.
Stay somewhere else.

4  Thank Shirley G
Kevin G, Director of Room Operations at JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Shirley,

I want to sincerely apologize for the service failures that are not conducive to our training and management efforts. The fact that your reservation requests were not prepared correctly prior to your arrival is a basic expectation that we focus on meeting consistently. Unfortunately we had a breakdown in our normally smooth execution and that set the tone for the remainder of your service experiences.

It is both odd and distressing to learn about the number of challenges you experienced with your keys, I am going to personally look into what happened.

We strive to proactively exceed service expectations as we focus on anticipating your needs by paying attention to queues and other advance indicators. We are also focused on reaction and response to requests to ensure timely execution in order to avoid frustration.

We value your critical feedback as it helps us learn from our errors and prevent future reoccurrences. Please feel free to reach out at any time as we would welcome a future opportunity to welcome you back and allow us to redeem ourselves, proving that your experiences were an anomaly rather than the norm despite the cascade.