“A bit disappointing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“A bit disappointing”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a nice property; huge and full of ameneties. We stayed here for 4 nights in Auguust and found the place quite pleasant. It has all one can desire say for the LV strip experience but if you are not looking for that, this is a good alternative. There were two things however which for me was disappointing. Let me go through things one at a time.
Location
15 to 20 min drive from the strip. It does provide a shuttle but only three times a day four times on Friday and Saturday. Again, if you love the strip, this might not be the best place to stay at.
Staff
Friendly, pleasing. I am a blind traveler and found the service rather good. The casino staff especially were very acomadating.

Food Beverage
excellent, a good variety of places to eat with fantastic prices. You wont break the bank eating here. The 24 hour cafe off the casino has great specials.

Rooms
Fantastic! Our room was very large with a two person hottub which worked great separate shower stall and separate watercloset. We could easily fit our dining room into this bathroom. Beds comfortable and internet worked well.
Casino
Good to me. Again as someone playing with a disability, the dealers were very patient. At times I had whole tables to myself; it was funny but convenient at the same time. So why the thre stars?
1. The pool large and nice but only 3.5 feet deep throughout. I thoght what a waste What are tall people suppose to do? Why not a deep end; at least 5 feet. As a result, I never even bothered.

2. The Spa
I was eagerly wanting to try this facility out and booked a treatment prier to my arrival. Personally I found the place too spread out; the water ritual advertised was nice but it was difficult moving from one area to another. It would have been nice to have the water rituals in a row; the spa attendent tried to help me but I think I was the first blind person he has ever encountered. He was a bit too gruff for my taste. The treatment was too clinical and after leaving I found myself saing, "big deal." I had better in my home town.
Conclusion recommended for getting away from the crowds on the strip and for a romantic get away. However, if you are looking to party party party, stay away from the JW Marriott.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Greek first
Carmel, California
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Just got back from Vegas. JW Marriott looks great on the outside. The grounds are beautiful and they have a large wonderful pool with a waterfall into the pool. The interior is starting to look its age. It could stand some cosmetic touch up in the rooms. It is a short drive to downtown Las Vegas. One of the hot tubs was broken. The restaurants had good food and resonable prices. Although I only eat breakfast their. It is just off the freeway and on the top floor 6 you can see the surrounding mountains and desert. It has plenty of free parking.

Room Tip: Get the top floor
Chicago
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Decided to try a resort away from the strip and it exceeded our expectations. We had a junior suite that was huge with a patio facing a waterfall. This room had 2 bathrooms, a small wet bar and small refrigerater. So relaxing and comfortable. The pool is beautiful and not crowded. We had dinner at almost every restaurant in the resort and all were great. Yes, it is a much older crowd but it didn't bother us. It's great that you could play at a table under $25. Close enough to the strip that you could be there in about 20 minutes and then head back when you are tired of the crowds. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: If you can, go for the jr. suite.
SF
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We decided we were tired of the strip and all the crowds and trashy types who hang out there and thus picked the JW Marriott resort 10 miles or so outside of downtown Vegas for our stay. We figured nice property, pools, walking paths and decent spa would make it worth the trip into Vegas as needed. Well we sort of got that but once inside the property we discovered it really appears to be a front for assisted living or nursing home types. It cracked us up walking through the Casino and pass the restaurants to see what appeared to be the over 90 crowd hitting the slot machines while smoking yet wearing their oxygen tubes attached to the largest group of elderly electric scooters ever assembled into one place. I counted no less than 23 during our walk around the casino and that was at 3pm in the afternoon. Those 1 cent machines were ringing like crazy.
The geriatric buffet line was as if the local nursing home contracted out with Marriott to feed the masses. Why do I mention that? Well you can imagine if that is their audience the food is cooked accordingly. 
The hotel was dead, empty and while having the amenities of a resort did not feel like a resort. The only place where there was life – was in the Casino and that was depressing considering the nursing home spin.

Pros:
Large rooms. Nice pool area and grounds. Friendly staff. Valet parking is free except for the tips so use it. Otherwise the self parking is a good walk to your room. They did not tell us that we had to ask. Large bathrooms and ample space in the room.
Cons:
As a platinum member I thought we could be comped breakfast as we do at other Marriott hotels and provided bottle water for the rooms. NO. You have to buy breakfast and they charge you for the water unless you get the resort fee. We chose to go buy some bottle water in a Vons down the street to avoid the $24 resort fee.
While the rooms were nice and tastefully done (we were upgraded due to status to a one bedroom suite) the wood bed frame squeaked and the mattress had seen a better day.
We did try breakfast buffet in the café and it was typical Marriott food. $19 for eggs and bacon. We won’t be trying the other food establishments as I think Marriott are a meat and potato type of hotel chain.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SFjoe
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The JW Marriot is a great peaceful hotel. Set in Summerlin it is about 20 minutes from the strip. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and the hotel is a spanish style elegant and spacious. I have stayed in both a single room and a suite and they are both great. The suite of course gives you a huge amount of space!. I loved the pool and enjoyed the spa facilities. The gym is large and has everything you could want, including the spa pool to relax in afterwards. The restaurant selection is nice, a good variety on site including a Starbucks. The Casino is small but fun. I would recommend the hotel for someone who is not looking for the crazyness las vegas hotels can have. It is very relaxing and stylish. Great for Business, weddings, and families!

Room Tip: The North tower is better since you are closer to the restaurants and the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Rafael, California
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The JW Marriott is a beautiful property - well maintained grounds, fabulous pool, beautiful hacienda styling throughout, enormous and clean guest rooms with a patio or balcony. I enjoyed my stay at the JW Marriott during a conference that was held in their convention hall - a very self contained property with two towers of lodging, a casino, several restaurants including a buffet, Irish bar, Italian restaurant, a Japanese restaurant, and Starbucks. The grounds are lush and beautiful, and you can walk around the property and enjoy the gardens. The rooms are huge with Jacuzzi tubs, double sinks and a separate WC. My room was on the ground floor with an enormous patio which included a patio table, chairs and a lounge. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the property was quite at night. Enjoyed my stay. The only downside is it is not close to anything. Any shopping or to go to the Strip, you need a car, taxi or shuttle service. The property does have an airport shuttle to take you back to the airport at $30, and it takes about 30 minutes to get to the airport. A taxi to the hotel was $60.

Room Tip: Ground floors have large patios with patio furniture.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel staff was wonderful. Everyone was so friendly. The room was beautiful. We were very pleased with our stay. Don't eat in the casino at the buffet...it was terrible. The lazy river and the balcony rooms had a lovely view below. It was a nice quiet place to spend our last day of vacation!

1 Thank scottchip