“Wonderful hotel - but isolated”

JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Ranked #46 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The JW Marriott is a beautiful property - well maintained grounds, fabulous pool, beautiful hacienda styling throughout, enormous and clean guest rooms with a patio or balcony. I enjoyed my stay at the JW Marriott during a conference that was held in their convention hall - a very self contained property with two towers of lodging, a casino, several restaurants including a buffet, Irish bar, Italian restaurant, a Japanese restaurant, and Starbucks. The grounds are lush and beautiful, and you can walk around the property and enjoy the gardens. The rooms are huge with Jacuzzi tubs, double sinks and a separate WC. My room was on the ground floor with an enormous patio which included a patio table, chairs and a lounge. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the property was quite at night. Enjoyed my stay. The only downside is it is not close to anything. Any shopping or to go to the Strip, you need a car, taxi or shuttle service. The property does have an airport shuttle to take you back to the airport at $30, and it takes about 30 minutes to get to the airport. A taxi to the hotel was $60.

Room Tip: Ground floors have large patios with patio furniture.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,072)

Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel staff was wonderful. Everyone was so friendly. The room was beautiful. We were very pleased with our stay. Don't eat in the casino at the buffet...it was terrible. The lazy river and the balcony rooms had a lovely view below. It was a nice quiet place to spend our last day of vacation!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scottchip
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here Nov. 2011 ( just found my pics on phone and realized I forgot to review) -- the Hotel and grounds are spacious, clean and bright, and relaxing. We have stayed on the Strip many times, various properties, but this trip wanted more peace and quiet and space. We found it. It was wonderful to walk through the grounds, by the pool and waterfalls with music playing outside. A couple of spots even have a patio swing to share. We really enjoyed the Pub, it's Happy Hour and eclectic offering of snacks, and Hard Cider - along with the football game on TV was fun. Our room was spacious and opened onto the pool and grounds. We had a great view of the Strip and it was a quick 20 minutes back and forth-- they offered a shuttle too, but we just drove. Don't overlook nearby the SunCoast property for classic old Vegas feel and Red Rock Canyon for big casino, mega property, modern feel. We didn't make time to golf, but used the fitness club and spa pool -- WONDERFUL and relaxing. The Staff were professional and friendly, but knew to back off and be quiet if you simply wanted to relax. The casino didn't seem to be a good fit - kind of older style in a modern property, though the staff was friendly and we did play there some. I hear they are renovating and updating it, which is a good idea. The Marriott staff, ALL, were professional and friendly!!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed here with my spouse and 2 kids for 3 days this summer. There is no need to leave the hotel. When we checked in the front desk was very nice, efficient and professional. She let me know what my package came with and was sure to point out I had included spa access. During the time I was checking in I noticed there were several wedding that weekend so I though great, they will take over the hotel. Turns out the resort is so darn huge, I never saw much of any groups. There were plenty of people around all weekend though, but the resort is well layed out and the atmosphere was cordial everywhere. Awesome that there is a Starbucks within the resort and more awesome that you can get a $5 credit for the Starbucks each morning if you choose to forego the maid service that day. The JCWooligans pub was awesome... went there twice. Once even with the kids and we sat at the tables outside, mostly due to the MUCH TOO LOUD music that was going on inside. The pretzels and fried pickles were amazing. The kids spent a day at the super pool while I spent it with my complimentary access in the spa. The spa has the most amazing hydrotherapy pools and jacuzzis. There were not too many people there and I managed to spend several hours with no one calling me mommy. I think I will book another trip here just for the resort. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The room may have been a little dated but it was spacious and clean and the air conditioning worked great. I can't think of anything else that could have made the stay any better.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ElaineG29
Reviewed September 11, 2012

When I tell people I go to Las Vegas at least once a year, the response is often "You must be a big time gambler."

I say no, "I go to relax and get away from it all," then watch the strange looks and raised eyebrows.

The JW allows me to do everything I want in Las Vegas with perfect scene control. The rooms are spacious, quiet and well maintained. The spa is terrific and the people who work there are extremely professional. During the day, I have a view of the golf course and I can see the mountains from various points in the hotel. At night, I can see the Strip come alive from my room in the Spa Tower. I also like the adjacent Rampart Casino because I can bet just about anything I want without the hustle, bustle and high limits of the big Strip properties.

Yes, it is away from all the attractions but a rental car allows me to go anywhere in the city to see a show or eat at a top restaurant and still come back to the serene setting the JW offers.

Room Tip: Ask for the Spa Tower
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank whodman
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed one night at the JW Marriott Las Vegas over the labor day weekend and really enjoyed our room. The resort is not by the Las Vegas Strip, which is nice when you have little kids with you. The room was very spacious and had an outdoor patio with a table and seats that over looked a flowing stream and waterfall. The bathroom was very nice with a whirlpool tub and a separate shower with 2 shower heads. The bed and the pillows were very comfortable. My wife said that the bed and pillow were the best she has ever slept on at a hotel. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Joel N
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We've stayed at the JW Marriott three times in the last six months. Overall, the stays have been most pleasant, with large rooms and bathrooms and the grounds are pleasant to walk around in.

My caveat to travelers is there are two towers - the Spa (most desireable) and the Palms (like an exile to Siberia). We've stayed twice in the Spa Tower and the rooms are larger, and although the rooms in the Palm are very large as well, they, in my opinion, are not as nice. The Main Tower (Spa) has much better ambiance, is much closer to the Ceres Restaurant, which is where you will want to eat breakfast or lunch (also open for dinner). Try the patio when the weather is nice.

While staying in the Palms Tower (and we were there for three days) we never saw anyone at the "reception" area, so if you have a problem, such as a malfunctioning room key, get ready to walk to the Spa Tower, and it is a bit of a walk and quite annoying at 10 pm!

That said, the casino is in the middle of the towers. If you are in the Spa tower, you have to walk through the casino to get to the Starbucks (not really a big deal, but gamblers working the slots are not the first thing I want to see in the morning). The dinner restaurants and bars are also located in this area. If you are in the Palm Tower, you don't have to deal with the casino and the smoke.

Don't expect a refrigerator in the room; Marriott installs "coolers" that are basically useless except for keeping beverages slightly above room temperature. There are safes in the rooms. In the Palms Tower there was not an ice machine on the 1st or 2nd floors (not fun, since we were were as far away from the elevators as humanly possible). Housekeeping can be a bit slow at times; it is best to call for a room make-up when you leave to ensure it is cleaned up when you return.

Overall, we enjoy the JW Marriott and when in Vegas on business, this would be our hotel of choice. The people are very pleasant and helpful. We like Ceres Restaurant and the Irish Pub. The location is really good. Less than a mile away on Rampart, one can find a variety of good restaurants and shopping. It is very close to the 215 Freeway, which will take you to the airport or downtown in about 20 minutes. For a business traveler that doesn't want to deal with the Strip, the JW is ideal. It does need an overhaul, but it is not run-down by any means. Even if you are a road warrior, you'll probably be happy.

Room Tip: Stay in the Spa Tower if at all possible. Higher floors will have more natural light. Ask for a ro...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business