“Modern hotel, decent disabled access, easy to reach natural sights near Vegas”

Eastside Cannery Casino & Hotel
Ranked #105 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We're not really fans of Vegas, but I was attending a conference for work and decided it was worth going early in order to explore the desert areas around the city. Our choice of Eastside Cannery was thus driven not by its gambling attributes (about which I really can't comment) or in-house dining but by the great rate being offered to AAA guests and its proximity to Lake Mead, Hoover Dam, and points elsewhere. With those caveats...

It is a clean, modern property, with ample parking (at least for March). We had a bit of hassle about the room, however: it was booked as 'wheelchair accessible' -- and so it was, with a good roll-in shower and good access around the loo and sink -- but the beds were 29" high. That's almost tabletop height, and almost impossible to vault into from a wheelchair seat at 24". The first impulse at the front desk was truly jobs-worth: both the desk clerk and her supervisor said: oh no, we can't disassemble the bed, it's bolted to the wall, it's a lot of work, it's unsafe. Nonetheless, we asked them to send up maintenance, cos I'd already checked and found the frame beneath the box/mattress combo was lightweight and easy to move...

The maintenance supervisor and his partner had the frame out and the box spring on solid ground in, oh, two minutes; they gave us the impression they are asked to do this pretty frequently. I went back downstairs and told the front desk face-to-face about this, and believe me, I'm pretty darn sure they immediately rushed off to not make a note about it...

Still. The room was quiet, the blackout curtains worked well, housekeeping was thorough and unobtrusive. It was a 20-minute drive to the gateway into the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, from which we could easily visit Red Rock SP, Hoover Dam, and points south to Laughlin. It's next door to Sam's Town, and the excellent Billy Bob's Steakhouse; the equally excellent Sushi-Twister is in the Albertson's shopping center equidistant the other way, next door to a Starbucks. We had an acceptable dinner in the hotel's buffet the night we arrived but couldn't work up a lot of enthusiasm for it or the meagre wine list. (Avoid the steam table stuff and stick to the baked dishes, pizza and carvery roasts.) The casual dining room produced a tasty breakfast that lasted us until dinnertime.

Room Tip: Our wheelchair accessible room on 13th floor looked north: cool and comfortable.
1  Thank Catzeyes

Reviewed March 28, 2014

My Husband and I live only a few miles from the east side cannery it is our get away from the hustle and bustle of the strip, But if you want too see the strip all you have to do is look out your window and there it is with none of the traffic, I recommend the east side to everyone, if you live out of town or right here in Vegas. Dianna and David, Happy Vegas people.

Room Tip: Higher floors so you have a better view and facing the west, preferably the corner room's
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Let's get these conditions out of the way first: If you need, as part of your Las Vegas experience, to walk The Strip and see the light/water, volcano shows, then take Eastside Cannery off your list. If you don't have a car or don't want to be a 20-minute drive off The Strip, then don't consider this place. And if you need to gamble where you sleep, again, don't consider this property.

My pals and I are gamblers and we know the poker rooms and sports/race books we need to hit. We had no problem diving to our spots. However, if 20 minutes is too long to drive, you can stay at other nice, off-Strip places that are closer (South Point, Palace Station, Silverton, etc.).

Our bottom line here was the bottom line. We got three nights for a little more than $200 (taxes included) during a very busy March weekend. The common areas and guest rooms at Eastside Cannery are very well maintained and/or new. Guests get a free coffee, danish and newspaper every morning; free reliable WiFi signal.

Depending on who I travel with in the future, this will surely be at the top of my list to consider.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor and you should get a nice view out of it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank David L
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We have stayed here 2 other times. It gets better each time. From the front desk to the slot attendants to the restaurant staff and to the Valet's, Eastside offers better service than we ever received on the strip.

A typical example was our last night there. Dropping the car off with the valet, he asked if we were in for the night. We said yes. He asked what time we were leaving in the morning. We said 5:30. He said he would leave a note for the overnight to have it upfront, so we could sleep in 5 extra minutes. Sure enough, our car was waiting in front at 5:30. We never got that kind of service on the strip at some highend places.

Room Tip: East side faces the valley. West side faces the strip. The strip is far enough away that I prefer...
2  Thank Airbosstwr
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. As with all hotels in Vegas, the reception and casino is on the ground floor. There is plenty of outdoor parking and we felt secure as there is armed security guards making frequent patrol rounds at the carpark.

The check-in was speedy, our room doesn't include breakfast however, we were given a daily voucher where we can redeem 2 bagels and 2 starbucks coffee at the coffee stand just next to the reception. There is even a voucher for 2 house wine or beer which we can redeem at the casino bar.

The room is spacious, comfy king bed, separate washbasin and toilet/shower tub, and the amazing view overlooking Vegas city. It would be convenient if you have a car as it would take about 15 minutes drive to the strip. We actually enjoyed our stay here as the hotel is not located in the center of the busy strip and is quiet which helps our sleep.

1  Thank muddie86
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I loved the hotel and the price; a little scary in the casino; had someone offer me pot and had a security guard to check your room keys. That was a little scary and not sure what it was about. They do not have a shuttle and to take the bus would be an hour. The rooms were clean and staff was friendly, but I will stay on the strip just for the connivence.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Hlamb5
Reviewed March 9, 2014

stay here in an petit suite for 2 nights with a great deal of agoda the room was fantastic 2 floor to ceiling windows and you can relax in the Jacuzzi and see the strip from the room I was in 202 I think lovely big bed, fridge and wet bar also massive bathroom with a walk in shower and Jacuzzi bath very deep water wings may be needed lol. front desk absolutely fantastic I was helped by charlotte as my booking had not been put on their system but after a few calls she sorted it and she had finished her shift but stayed on to help me thank you very much by the she didn't say a word about staying on to help me so thanks again. there's a free shuttle from sam's town to harrah's strip and California downtown as the strip is about a 7-10 min drive or a 202 bus stop right outside the hotel last stop $7 for 24 hours I believe and you will not miss the hotel at night as it's lit up like a Christmas tree lol. enjoy I did.

Room Tip: petit suite/corner room with views of the strip and mountains fantastic
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple