“Great Hotel!”

Ranked #26 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Orlando
“Great Hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

The location of the hotel was about a Half Mile to the Beginning of the Strip.
Good location, great staff, good breakfast!
It is walkable, but if you aren't use to walking around then don't since you end up doing a ton of walking once you get to the strip and in each hotel. It is across a major highway but its doable. We walked in the night once and once in the day. Walking in the night is like walking in any city at night. Most people can do it and others think its not a good idea.
I definitely wanted to review the shuttle, because this is what we mainly used to get around and I didn't find detailed information on it when I read previous reviews.
The shuttle runs at the top of each hour only (not on call). It does not go to any hotel on the strip, it only goes to the Doubletree Tropicana which is at the Beginning of the Strip about a half mile away (which is walkable) It also does not do return trips, so we had to take cabs back or walk, which I did not know until I got there. I assume its because Vegas and the Strip can be hectic picking up people. There is a monorail entrance in the MGM Grand that is across from the Doubletree Tropicana, which we used when we wanted to go to the other end of the strip.
We had to call the shuttle once we arrived at the airport. We arrive about 10pm - they told me the pickup would be 10:30p, but arrived about 11:20pm. So the wait was quite some time. (the only reason i did not score excellent for a hampton)
Other then that the Bartenders in the Lobby were extremely friendly along with all the front office staff. Also the shuttle drivers were beyond great!
I definitely may return if I visit Vegas again, and would recommend the location for anyone especially if you are a frequent Hilton Traveler and did not want to pay the higher rates at the Tropicana or Elara.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lewis Center, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Hampton Inn Tropicana July 5-8. We wanted to be close to the strip, but not on the strip and this hotel fit the bill. We rented a car at the airport and found the hotel with no problem. Dean Martin Drive actually runs parallel to I-15 at this point so the hotel is just north of I-15 off of Tropicana.

Check in was busy but the wait was not too long. There were a lot of AAU basketball teams (high school kids) staying there for a tournament in the Vegas area (why anyone would take an AAU team it Vegas is beyond me). I thought because of this, the hotel would be loud, but it wasn't and I found the kids very well behaved (been on many AAU trips with my own kids). Hotel staff covered everything and explained the shuttle service to the strip to us.

We had a room overlooking the pool which gave us a great view. We didn't have any trouble with noise from the pool. Beds are incredibly comfortable. Room was clean and towels plentiful. The pool has a spa as well and towels are provided. There is also a small fitness center. Hotel is connected to a meeting center for meetings and special events.

The shuttle runs every hour and depending on how many people use it, the driver might have to make 2 runs as there are only 12 seats. The shuttle goes to Mandalay Bay, Tropicana and the airport. From Mandalay and Tropicana you can walk the strip or take the monorail. The hotel looks like you could walk to the strip, but the intersection with I-15 is very busy and even though there are side walks, I wouldn't walk it at night just because it's very hard to see people on foot in that area. The shuttle does not bring you back, but if you catch a cab from the strip, the ride isn't expensive.

Breakfast was one of the better Hampton breakfasts. One day we had prepared omlets, another day scrambled eggs. Always had cereal, waffles and a breakfast sausage. Plus, all kinds of yogurts, fruit, bagels, muffins and breads. There was quite a crowd every morning so we just ate back in our room. The staff did a good job of keeping everything stocked.

My daughter is moving to Vegas so I will be sure to stay at this hotel again.

Rancho Cucamonga, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

1. Someone's handkerchief was found between the pillows when we were going to bed. We hope that the sheets were changed.
2. A/C was on all night even on auto set at 78. It never turned off but it did make a booming noise when it restarted even though it was still on. Weird.
3. The showerhead cover fell off.
4. There was a long hair in one of the washcloths (don't they check for this?).
5. The blowdryer handle got so hot within 5 minutes that I thought it was going to explode. Then it stopped working, even though I pushed the reset button on the GFC.

We got there a half hour before check in and they offered to hold our bags while they got a room ready. When we got back, the front desk lady asked one of the employees if he could get them for us (Maybe he was a bellboy?) and he snapped at her (in front of us) that he wasn't even clocked in. She said never mind, but he snapped back that he would get them. Wow! If he's not on the clock, then why is he up at the front?! Way to represent the hotel! We booked this hotel about a month before the trip as part of the Hilton Hhonors program. We are usually so pleased with Hilton hotels, but this time we were very disappointed. The people at the front desk were great, the lobby and bar were clean, but that's not enough reason to stay there again.

Room Tip: We were in room 466, towards the end of the hallway which resulted in quiet!
1 Thank Nueva V
Surveys, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tropicana, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Please accept our sincere apology for your experience. We want you to know that the comments we receive from our guests are taken very seriously and your suggestions will help us to improve the standards of our hotel. We have followed up with all of the departments which you noted needed special attention. We would like to talk to you more about your stay. We apologize for the issues that you encountered and wish to obtain more information to ensure this does not happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me.
Midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I expect a Hampton Inn to be standardized, steady, and a bit dull; so this location did not disappoint. But context is important because routine becomes a welcome relief from the disorientation of navigating through casinos to get to your room.

The free parking lot circles the hotel, so there's no need to deal with valets or cavernous parking structures.

The free breakfast buffet has enough options, but not so many that you'll explode from tasting everything or need to sleep off your food coma.

The swimming pool was too small for laps, but adequate for cooling off between sun and spa.

So I could immerse myself in Vegas, and take a break when I tired of putting on the glitz.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Seaford, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed on July 4th... Not for the timid. Early AM a woman screaming her relationship issues and profanities woke us up. Earlier the crowd in the hotel was young and headed for the strip. This was headquarters for their party central. The hotel itself is pretty decent. It is showing some signs of age due to its high volume. The location is close to the strip and quite convenient for heading downtown. I would not recommend this hotel for people with young children looking for peace and quiet. Price was excellent.

Alhambra, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

The whole experience at this hotel was good, from food to room to fitness center. However, the only downfall was the air condition, and because it was up 110 degrees during my stay, it became unpleasant at times. Nevertheless it was good overall.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

mississauga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel during our visit to Las Vegas. Travelling from the east coast of Canada, it was essential for us to have a facility that was safe and located very close to the strip. Our overalll impression of this facility is consistent with a majority of the reviewers (i.e., excellent) with a rating of 10/10. The property is very well located close to the freeway and has all the amenities. The staff was very pleasant and always eager to help. The room was very clean and well prepared for our arrival. The complimentary breakfast was the best highlight for a great way to start the day with excellent choices of hot and cold items and always well stocked. The location of the facility provides very easy access to the strip even late at night. We did not use the complimentary shuttle service but it is certainly a great value addition to choosing this hotel. Overall, my family and I were very impressed with the Hampton Inn at Tropicana and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family