“Good for a one night stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Tropicana

Hampton Inn Tropicana
Ranked #27 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
South Melbourne, Australia
“Good for a one night stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had one night I needed to stay in Vegas, and there was something on, so all the hotels were very pricey, but the Hampton Inn was reasonable. When I saw how big the hotel/casinos on the strip are, I was quite pleased that I had ended up staying off the strip in a much smaller property. I didn't think they provided very clear information about the airport shuttle - I arrived at the airport, and went to the shuttle area, but they have not included their information on the noticeboard there, so I had to ring to check that I was in the right area and find out what times the shuttle came. It would be good if this information was included in the confirmation notice (which does provide driving directions). They held firm to the check-in time, which is fair enough, but I was exhausted having come off an intercontinental flight and would have really appreciated it if they had checked to see if my room was ready yet, rather than just holding to the check-in time. The room itself was fine, I had one looking onto the courtyard and it was very quiet. The free breakfast was free - but I found it bizarre that it was served with disposable plates, utensils and cups. The food was very processed (eg. I'm sure the 'scrambled eggs' was some kind of mix, weirdest 'eggs' I have ever eaten), but there are ok options with cereal and bagels. I walked over to the In n Out burger at night by myself (woman) and felt fine about it - I wouldn't have walked to and from the strip at night by myself (and the shuttle service was good), but during the day, it would be doable. I would recommend the hotel if you are after somewhere quieter and smaller than the hotels on the strip and don't mind having to shuttle.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Y_Eldar, Manager at Hampton Inn Tropicana, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. You have a excellent suggestion regarding the shuttle service to the airport and we will be including the information on our hotel confirmation in the future. We appreciate you bringing this to us and we hope you will give our property a second chance if you return to the area. We would really love to have you back so we can show you what our Hamptonality is all about

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Turkish first
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Booked this hotel for three nights but left after two days of cool showers due to broken boiler. I am shocked that others accepted this. I am a business traveler so I stay in hotels once or twice a month. I have stayed in a lot of nice hotels. Free breakfast and coffee is a plus in Vegas as well as the free shuttle but when you can't get a hot shower it puts a damper on your trip. Wall paper in the bathroom was peeling. 3 Cleaning carts were left outside my room until after I went to bed the first night, but at least were gone when I went out the next morning. Bed was comfortable. I found a cheaper price for the third day in a newer hotel on the strip for less money. Hot shower at last! That is where I will stay on my next trip to Vegas.

Room Tip: Ask if boiler is fixed before you check in.
3 Thank Bertha55
Y_Eldar, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tropicana, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback in regards to water temperature. We encountered an issue with our boiler and we are addressing the situation and it will be remedied soon, however I apologize that it wasn't resolved sooner. We are currently replacing our older unit and don't foresee any additional issues. Thank you again for your review and I invite you to stay with us again the next time you return to the area. We are all about pleasing our guests.
Alpine, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

First the good. Rooms clean. Great breakfast. Shuttle to other parts of the strip.
The bad pillows were not to my liking way too soft
You are about 1/4 mile N of the Hustler Club and there are a lot of hookers
The manager, a big black guy, had attitude every time I talked to him

I would stay again, and just avoid the manager

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank TechDiver09
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

The rooms seemed newly updated including the bed and linens. Housekeeping was great. Breakfast food was average to good depending on your likes. For free, I was happy. During the evening there is a nice bar in the lobby. Gas station/convenience store is next door. The infamous In and Out Burger is within close walking distance along with other fast food.

I was most pleased with the free shuttle service to and from the Tropicana, Mandalay Bay and the airport. I saved considerable money using their shuttle service.

If you're a regular traveler who enjoys the typical Hampton Inn experience, I would recommend this hotel.

Roseville, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Very nice hotel with excellent breakfast. Nice size rooms and courteous work staff. Also free shuttle to the strip,but only a 15 minute walk to the vegas strip if you feel like walking. Nice area during the day, but watch out for homeless asking for cash at night. You will like this hotel with the beds very comfortable. Nice visit and will revisit in the fall. Thank you.

Room Tip: 2nd floor was very quiet and I was near the elevator even.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SThompson38
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I just stayed at this hotel and was very disappointed. To start, the free breakfast included the pre-made eggs, which are not healthy. All the other offering accept for the oatmeal were not healthy or worth trying - but it was free. The location boarders the entranceway to the tunnels where the homeless live. Their is a lot of theft in the area and walking at night is not advised. The room was ok but a previous guest had disconnected the telephone and television wires, so that needed to be fixed. I could here everything that was said in the adjoining rooms, which in the middle of the night, makes it difficult to sleep. On the plus side, the hotel is inexpensive and offers a shuttle hourly to the end of the strip and airport. The staff was pleasant and overall the hotel was clean.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Vmo9
Y_Eldar, Manager at Hampton Inn Tropicana, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
We are sorry you were disappointed in your stay at our hotel. We understand that the noise was an issue as well as our breakfast. We have addressed these items and appreciate your input and bringing these items to our attention. We will share your comments with the staff and hope the next time you're in the area, you would consider staying with us again.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Free shuttle to pick you up at the aiport.
Nice efficient reception at check-in and check-out.
Room are cozy and clean. About 50 channels available on TV.
Good breakfast including fresh fruits, yogurts, baggels, muffins, waffles, etc...
There is also a decent swimming pool and a bar to have drinks in the evening.
The hotel is a few blocks off the strip. You can easily walk there during day time. I would avoid it by night as you go under an highway and it gets pretty dark...
Overall great value for price paid given the location and the quality offered.