“May off the strip, neighborhood casino with $5 tables”

Suncoast Hotel and Casino
Ranked #59 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
San Diego, California
“May off the strip, neighborhood casino with $5 tables”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Did not sleep at this hotel but visited to attend a biker weekend pool party. As a regular gambler, I was happy to see $5 blackjack and craps tables. You can't find these on the strip anymore. Had a drink, stayed for about an hour and it was a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the strip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here in one of their suites with my cousins. This place is in a great location and nearby tons of restaurants. They have bowling and a movie theater in their casino so that can keep the kids busy. It is also across the street from Tivoli village which has a cute farmer's market on Saturday mornings and cool shopping and places to eat regularly. It is near by a target if you need anything. The view of the golf course is amazing in the morning. The suite was comfortable and spacious. No problems with anything expect the resort fee. You pay it, then you have to buy wifi on top of that! That should be include. Had a great time smoking cigars and getting free drinks at the roulette table. This place is about 20 minutes away from the strip and right off the highway for easy access. Free and lots of parking!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank esims04
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My BFF and I stayed at this hotel because we had a teen attending the Hip Hip International events at the close by Red Rock Resort (which was full). Requested a 2 Queen room but there where none available when we got there, so we got a king room with a pullout sofa. I had to ask the front desk to make up the sofa to a bed for us, which was someone coming into the room pulling out the sofa bed, leaving 2 pillows, 2 folded blankets and 6 folded sheets on top (we had to make up the be ourself).

Room - very large with a king bed, pull out sofa, dining table desk 4 chairs, fridge, safe. Large bathroom with 2 sinks on a long vanity, tub and toilet in a separate room behind a pocket door. Only enough towels for 2 people so we had to ask for more.

Dining - didn't try buffet, called for a late 11:15 breakfast one day and the only option was TGIF, I went down to the deli and got takeout,Just OK. Don't ask for any changes or substitutions. The Java place by the front entrance serves Starbucks brand coffee and carries Krispy Kreme doughnuts (yum). There is a Cheesecake Factory very near by so we didn't need much more.

Casino - Slots are super tight, but I did OK on video poker. Drink service is spotty, you have to sit near the table games if you want service, outer perimeters you'll get missed.

Valet - very good, and fast, one very hot day our car was not parked in a covered garage and was extra hot, and took a really long time for the interior to cool down.

Internet - this is our biggest gripe - the hotel charges a resort fee $5.60, then if you want internet it is an additional $10.00 per device! What! We had 3 iPhones in our room and one of them belonged to a teen! There isn't even a free wifi location in the coffee shop or near reception like most hotels. I find it really funny that Boyd Gaming is pushing all this B-Connected and "be rewarded for social activity" on-line trying to gain "Friends" but hose customers on internet fees.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sarah S, at Suncoast Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding the resort fee, towel service, and the cocktail service on the casino floor. Our new daily resort fee at Suncoast provides hotel guests with several of the most commonly requested additional services at a package price. Our daily resort fee includes: Wireless internet access (up to 1 MB of band width) for up to three devices, Scheduled Airport Shuttle (reservations required, please call our Front Desk toll free at 877-677-7111), In-room safe, In-room refrigerator, In-room Coffee, In-room local and toll free phone calls, Access to the Fitness Center, Valet, and Self-Parking. We must apologize that your experience with our staff was unsatisfactory; this is not in line with our usual high service standards. Your comments have been forward to Casino Management. In the future, we encourage you to bring this to our attention immediately so we can rectify the situation promptly. Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to your future stay.
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My room had two king size beds, a lounge chair with ottoman, a couple of side tables with lamps, a round table for 4 (only two chairs); desk; fridge, safe, etc, and room to do cartwheels if one were so inclined. The bathroom had two sinks; toilet and bath were behind a heavy pocket door.

Location: Inconvenient in relation to shows and the Strip.

Value: Inexpensive during the week (under $52 with taxes), significantly more as you get closer to weekends.

Facilities:
Very large casino, although I don’t know enough about them to judge;
bingo hall seats probably 1,000
Very hot hot tub, which I tried
Quite small pool which closes at 8pm, which I did not sample, but which apparently is cooled, as opposed to heated
Bowling alley, hair dresser and gift shop – did not sample these
32 hole golf course – did not have time to play.
Valet parking

Restaurants:
TGIFridays with bar and outdoor patio – they also service the pool area;
Siena Café, where you are served,
the buffet where only drinks are served to your table.

Buffet Food: There is a lot of choice but most of the food is prepared far in advance. Tons of desserts (at breakfast?). Very small fresh fruit and fresh vegetable selection. The food was okay, but pretty expensive (almost $10 with the gambling card discount) for the little that I eat for breakfast. Others have commented on the food types, so you might want to check those reviews.

Getting there from the airport:
BY BUS: North end of the bus route Possible to get there for $2. Trip takes an hour. Buses run every hour until 10 or 11 at night.
BY CAB: Fare before tip about $53 late at night. Add tip and you need $60 for 20 minute trip.

Shopping – all kinds about a 20-30 minute walk away, some across the road, but still quite a ways if you are not used to walking (in high heat).

BEWARE:

ROOM DEALS: If you are in an 8am class, no point in taking the room & breakfast deal, as it means eating at the buffet which does not open until 8 am.

GETTING AROUND: Can be difficult to get a cab to come pick you up. Cabbies for the company that services this hotel now have to pay their own gasoline so they will drive you from the hotel to shopping but simply do not go pick anyone up at shopping unless they happen to catch a return fare.

AIR QUALITY: I was there Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night. The first night the air was okay in the room. After that cigarette smoke was in the air – it must be impossible to filter it all out. I slept with the sheet over my face.

ATM – some cards are charged a $3.50 service charge PLUS 3.5% of the amount you take out, so $200 will cost you $217.99 (according to the sign on the machine) plus whatever your bank charges! I used Interac on a Canadian bank and for some reason $200 cost me $203.50.

VALET PARKING - takes time to retrieve your car on weekends so leave ample time for the wait.

Room Tip: Must specify a non-smoking room - smoking permitted in the casino and probably elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AlleVast
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have stayed at the Suncoast around 4 or 5 times a year for 8 years now. I have watched the Buffet and the Cafe go from good to bad to good. Now it is terrible. We went to the buffet for breakfast. It opens at 8am. We were one of the first 20 people to be seated. We found a limited quantity in choices for breakfast and a lot of the food was cool. The scrambled eggs were dry and cold. The hashbrowns were dry and cold. Even the gravy for the biscuits was only warm. I waited in line for about 20 minutes to get a fresh made omelet because the cook was making only two at a time. We had gone to the Cafe for dinner one night and was again disappointed in the food and especially the service. I had ordered a 16oz. porterhouse steak cooked medium rare and my wife had the prime rib sandwich. No way was that a 16oz. steak. By the time I cut off the fat and gristle on the outside, I had about 8 ozs. left. The prime rib was dry as a bone. They gave my wife a cup of beef juice for dipping and that was so salty it was not usable. Our waitress took our order and delivered the food. That was it. I had to flag down a busboy to get more water. It took almost 5 minutes to get our check and she came dashing out from the back all smiles. When the cashier asked how our dinner was I told her exactly what I have written here. She shrugged her shoulders and handed me my credit card receipt. I love the hotel and most of the staff is outstanding. The buffet and Cafe have become places to stayt away from.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the golf course are well worth the extra price.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Shavertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Beautiful hotel out of the crowded strip area. Well kept rooms but pool area could use a little jazzing up. First problem I had was there we're only 2 bath towels left each day even after complaining, Second staff at check in is not very welcoming. Third you must pay for Internet, it's 2013 this should be free!!!

Room Tip: Ask for mountain side it's breathtaking. Otherwise you are over looking the roof!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ss343
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Suncoast Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding the cocktail service on the casino floor. We must apologize that your experience with us was unsatisfactory; this is not in line with our usual high service standards. Your comments have been forward to Casino Management. We appreciate you bringing this to the attention of the service desk. Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to your future visit.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The room was clean and modern although the beds & pillows were hard. The view of the golf course and mountains behind were awesome. Checkout was easy, available on the TV screen in the room. The complimentary breakfast buffet was more than anyone could want or eat.
I would have rated this 5 stars if it weren't for the hidden charges of $5.60 per day "Resort Fee". When I questioned the desk as to what this was for, I was told it is for the amenities such as the safe in the room, coffee, exercise room etc. Since I didn't use any of these, I felt it was a rip off. Especially since they charge you if you want to use the wireless internet on top of the "resort fee". I had to pay an additional $6.95 to check in and print out my airline boarding passes! Why not just include this in the price of the room and don't nickel and dime people to death. This was the first place I've stayed in a long time, even including the Netherlands, that used this low class approach.

Room Tip: You have to ask for non-smoking
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family