“Senior Special”

Suncoast Hotel and Casino
Ranked #38 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed October 24, 2011

If Las Vegas is not your destination, but a stopover, finding a reasonably priced hotel room can be frustrating. Fortunately, the Suncoast filled my needs. We were traveling through Vegas on our way to Fallon, NV, and needed to stay overnight in Vegas. Since we were heading north on US 95, I looked for a hotel on the north side of town and not too far off the highway. I wanted to avoid the traffic and hustle of the strip.

The Suncoast has been around for a few years, but it has aged well. The rooms are very spacious, and my wife and I appreciated the double sinks in the bathroom. We stayed here a couple of years ago, and it has not changed much, except the hotel seems to cater to a much older crowd now than I remembered. Most everyone was in the over 50 crowd (myself included). The casino was pretty standard for Vegas. It seems to me that in this day of computerized gaming, casinos have pretty much lost their personality, and one vegas casino is pretty much like any other. I am not a gambler, but the regulars said that the slots at the Suncoast were exceptionally 'tight'.

The hotel has about 5 restaurants clustered in one corner of the hotel (obviously sharing a kitchen), along with the usual coffee shop, Buffet and a TGI Fridays. We ate at the Italian themed restaurant. The food was decent, a cut above the big Italian chains, but the wine list was pricey. I enjoyed watching our waiter flirt with all of the older ladies in the restaurant. I'm sure he does well on his tips.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank llsee

Reviewed October 18, 2011

What a delightful surprise to both me and my family. When I first booked this trip my wife was leary of what to expect for such a cheap rate but upon our arrival we were alll shocked as to the cleanliness, modern rooms, freindly staff, lose slots, great housekeeping, excellent and efficient Sunday Brunch, swimming area and lastly the awesome and expedicious valet parking team. I would definately recommend this hotel to any and all of my friends. My hats off to the valet parking crew. Due to the fact that I had a rental car for our week long stay in Las Vegas, I used the valet parking 2-3 times daily. Each and every time we waited 2 minutes TOPS before we were seated in our vehicle enroute to our destination. This really is a beautiful hotel and the beds are so comfortable. The only bad experience we had was on 3 consecutive days I had to complain to the front desk about a chain smoker near the elevators on the 3rd floor. (The 3rd floor is a non smoking floor and the smoke was annoying my daughters allergies). The front desks response to my 3rd and final complaint was that "some people are hard headed." Whatever that meant but that was the only flaw during our entire weeks stay. Only complaint, no WiFi unless you pay 12.95 per day. Give us the WiFi for free like other hotel chains do on the east coast. Dont nickel and dime your future tourists. Stayed from October 11 to October 18, 2011.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank joee5
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I stayed here for business, and didn't even know this section of town existed. The hotel was not glamorous, but certainly was comfortable. I had my doubts at check-in as the young lady was less than user friendly, but everything else went fine. The casino was very smoke-filled - I personally never found a smoke free area. The biggest plus was the surrounding area with wonderful restaurants, and everything else you could possibly want - I for one, opted for the massage.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2011

My wife and I stay here for pleasure. We received a great deal on the room (under $100 a night), and it was a decent room, so there was good value there.
The restaurants are pretty good too, and not outrageously priced like restaurants in strip hotels.
Why only 3 of 5 stars then? Location and attitude.
Location is WAY out there off the strip, near the JW Marriott. Not a happening place.
The clients are a little on the older side, which is fine, but the pit bosses are the most annoying of any casino I've been too. Get ready to be held hostage during Blackjack.
I don't know how Suncoast can take a game I love and can play anywhere, and make it feels like you are executing a miltiary drill. You have to keep your hands in a very specific place in relation to the cards, and the cards are face down so no one knows what the other person has which KILLS the social aspect of the game. This is not single deck Blackjack, mind you.
The pit boss was an absolute jerk to my wife and I on several occasions. Give a guy a title, and he thinks he can just talk down to you. Yes, I realize my wife and I are about 25 years younger than your average client, but treat us like customers that you might value anyway.
NO WAY we will ever come back here, unless it is on a charter bus from a retirement home we are living in and we are wheeled onto that bus.
NO Energy and NO fun. Thanks for killing what makes Vegas, Vegas, Suncoast.

Room Tip: high-floor room with a view
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank valor155
Reviewed October 9, 2011

The room was clean. The bed was a bit hard. We had a wonderful picture window view of the golf course and Las Vegas! The staff was friendly. We had a difficult time figuring out where to park to check in. All the parking spaces were taken for self parking. So we parked in the valet parking and went in. I'm glad we used the valet parking. It was much easier getting in and out and they were quick to bring the car. The restaurants was good. I didn't like the $5.00 resort fee. The price at $117 and $67 for the 2 nights we stayed was reasonable. I think they should have one price instead of add ons. We wanted wi-fi but the price was $12.99 per day!
Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2011

The Suncoast is a great choice for a Vegas stay, especially if you want relative peace and quiet at times. The drawback is the distance from the strip - you definitely need a car and some planning skills. The pool is small but not crowded. The gambling is better than on the strip, especially the pay tables on lower stakes video poker machines. Nothing fancy about the dining or lodging, but if you want a comfortable place to stay without breaking the bank, Suncoast is a good option.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor, overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank gbjames
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I stayed at Suncoast for four day due to a business engagement nearby. I must say that I very much enjoyed my stay. The rooms & hotel overall were nice & clean. Everything was well kept & the service overall was excellent! If you are okay with staying off the strip & taking the free shuttles to/from the strip & airport, you absolutely cannot beat this place. Everything you need & want is in the Suncoast - but if you just HAVE to go to the strip you are able free of charge. I am quite positive I will find myself at the Suncoast again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business