“Beyond Expectations”

Ranked #37 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Tucson, Arizona
“Beyond Expectations”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Resort was more like apartments converted into a timeshare destination. We drove from Tucson and had no problem finding the resort. Even though some front end construction was going on it was not a distraction. We parked a good size van under the covered parking and did not have to drive once while in Vegas. We opted for a room on the 3rd floor and we had a great view of the pool from the covered patio area. The room was amazing, when we first walked thru we thought the second bedroom was actually the master suite because it was so nice! The entire two bedroom unit was furnished and decorated very upscale. There is LCD t.v.s in each bedroom plus of course, the living room. The kitchen had every possible appliance you could want. There were IPOD docking stations in each of the rooms and WIFI as well. The master bedroom had a giant bathtub/shower so definitely throw your bath stuff into your luggage! Everyone slept very well and comfortable including my 16 year old who slept on the couch. It is a pull out but he slept on the couch itself which he found to be more comfortable.
The resort offers a very extensive shuttle service which takes you to major stops on the strip, Freemont street and the supermarket. Once we were dropped off at the Flamingo, which is closest stop, we bought monorail tickets ($12 each) which takes you to each end of the strip with 7 or so stops in between. We only had to cab it three times costing us less than $30. The resort shuttle was always there for drop off and pick up. Pool is open 24 hours although crowded during the day, night was very quiet.
The staff was accomodating and when we checked in she gave us a preference to 2nd or 3rd floor and offered us the pool view which was also by the arcade, which she thought my 3 teenage boys would like.
After searching the internet for show tickets to Le Reve we ended up calling the concierge at the resort we found the least expensive tickets ($97 for premium seating) offered. The show was amazing...different review...
Oh yea, the location of Summer Bay Resorts was about a half mile off the strip, probably half way between Stratosphere and MGM. Excellent location. So if you happen to miss the resort shuttle times to take you back, you just get off the monorail at Flamingo and it is about a $5.50 cab ride to resort. (or less)
The only downside to any of this was we could only stay from Friday to Sunday...we were unable to use the entire week. We were so bummed after we got there to know that we had to leave such a cool place so soon.
Thank you Summer Bay for a very nice weekend getaway with my family! We will be back and we will stay longer!
Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank stammie1
cyndiriegerpeffer, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Thank you for the positive review on Summer Bay Resorts-Las Vegas Desert Club!
Taking the time out of your schedule to tell others about Summer Bay Resorts-Las Vegas Desert Club is so appreciated.
We look forward to being your home away from home on your next visit to Las Vegas.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago area
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Our arrival didn't start out well. We had been told that we might be able to check in early, but they couldn't tell us over the phone whether our place was ready. Annoying, but unavoidable. I stood in line for about twenty minutes to "check in" but I was not given keys (not really checking in, then, right?). I was told I would be called when our two bedroom unit was ready. Check in was at 4, so when 3:30 came around and no one had called me, I called them. I was told they had called when the unit was ready. Lie. I had no "missed calls" on my cell phone.

We went to the resort and I then had to stand in line for ANOTHER twenty minutes to get our keys. There, I was told they had gotten too busy to call me. I was fuming. Of course they were busy. I waited in line twice for a LONG time EACH time. I knew they were busy! They, too, knew they were busy; so why tell me they will call? Why tell me to come in to find out if our unit was ready? Why not just tell me, "Ma'am, we're sorry, but check in is at 4." I would have preferred that IMMEASURABLY compared to the wasted time we spent trying to get into the condo early. It wasn't just the 40 minutes spent in line, but also the three hours that we spent trying to stay close to the resort so that we would be able to go there quickly and get settled when it was available.

However, when I saw the condo, I quickly calmed down, and I can honestly say that checking in was the only real frustration we had all week.

About a week prior to our arrival, I had requested a pool-side room on the first floor, and that was exaclty what we got. It was newly remodeled and clean. It was exaclty what I saw in someone else's review pictures.

One of the reasons we chose Summer Bay was because of the 24 hour pool, and we loved it! I was afraid we sacrificed quiet for convenience, but I was surprised how quiet it was. Even when people were swimming and being loud at 2 or 3 in the morning, we heard nothing in the bedrooms. (We were swimming with them and thought we would be disturbed by them when we went in, but happily, we couldn't even tell they were out there.)

One negative thing about the pool was that it was cloudy at times. Another negative was that all guests didn't keep their long hair in ponytails, so frequently we fished stray hairs out of the water. Gross, but not that big of a deal. A better filter could have solved both problems, I think. The last negative about the pool was that the chemicals gave four out of six of us sores on the bottom of our feet. The four who spent a lot of time in the pool had places on the bottom of their toes where the skin was wearing away. Some were red, others actually bled. I can only figure the chemicals caused it. My youngest, a two year old, and I were the only ones not affected, but I assume that was because we didn't spend almost all day every day in the pool. My three older boys just put Band-Aids on the affected toes and continued to swim. Typical boys, not fazed at all.

We had our car, so we loved the shaded parking spaces. When Summer Bay got more guests, we sometimes had to park farther away and in the sun, but most of the time, we were only a short distance from our door. This made taking in groceries very convenient! (Of course, the full kitchen made USING the groceries even more convenient. :) The golf cart and shuttle service looked good, but I was glad we had our car, mostly because of the kids. We didn't have our rooftop carrier on, fortunately; otherwise, we wouldn't have fit under the car port.

The entrance construction detracted slightly from our stay, but we were in building 19, so we didn't see any of it from our "pod". The main pool is going to be spectacular when it's done.

Someone in another review complained that the walk to the Strip was 20 minutes and looked like a war zone. The block (yes, only one block) was fenced off and undeveloped, but it wasn't a "war zone" and it took us (with four kids, one of whom was a slow-walking six year old) only 10 minutes to get to the Flamingo.

We belong to a vacation club, so we knew not to expect maid service daily. What's the big deal about making your own bed on vacation? I would rather do that instead of looking at the mess and hoping the maid comes soon. (Then again, I also prefer to be able to clean as we go anyway. I love having a broom and vacuum to keep the place tidy. With four boys, lots of things fall on the floor.) We didn't really need her when she came mid-week, but it was nice to get the floors washed.

The washer and dryer in the unit were wonderful, and I used them daily. Knowing these were there, I was able to pack lightly on clothes, which was nice.

All things considered, we loved our stay so much that we extended it by one day (taking a three day drive and turning it into a two day drive). We probably would have extended out stay even more days, but my husband absolutely had to be at work Monday morning.

Once the construction is done, it will truly be the PERFECT place to stay (if you don't want to be on the Strip). We loved it, and if we ever go back to Vegas, we will stay at Summer Bay.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1. Request a remodeled room. Pay the extra if you have to; it's worth it. (Vacation club or time-share owners always get the remodeled units.)

2. Request to be near the workout room if that matters to you. It's open 24 hours. It's okay for a vacation place. It's not the gym, but it's good enough.

3. Get Summer Bay's comprehensive list of things to do in Vegas. They have a list of free things to do as well as a list of "not free" activities. Both lists are helpful and accurate. We stayed very busy without ever stepping in a casino to gamble (we spent a lot of time walking through them, though!)

4. Go to Hoover Dam. The Generator Tour was great, and the Dam Tour was better (but kids 8 and under aren't permitted because of their size and the potential for them to fall through a few small openings). The tours are pricey, but worth it.

5. Eat as many meals at Ellis Island as you can. What they save on decor, they more than make up for in portions and taste. Their specials are delicious and ridiculously inexpensive. It's just down the street from Summer Bay (on Kovol). Don't be turned off by how seedy it looks.

6. If you have young kids, make room to pack the double stroller. Our 14 year old was able to do all the walking with no problem, but our 10 year old and 6 year old would have appreciated taking turns in the open seat of our double stroller if we had had it. As it was, only the 2 year old got a free ride in the umbrella stroller.

7. Pack dark shoes/sandals/flip-flops. The streets are filthy and our shoes quickly looked disgusting with all the walking we were doing. (Only the "baby" had white gym shoes when we left because he was always riding in stroller.)

8. If you don't have a car, get the three day pass to the Monorail. Between that and the shuttle you will get anywhere easily.

9. Don't waste your money on the gondola ride at the Venetian. It was short and the gondolier never stopped talking, giving tourism advice. It was much more fun to watch from the bridge.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank WendiChicagoArea
Thank you for taking the time to write both positive and negative feedback on your past visit to Summer Bay Resorts-Las Vegas Desert Club.
We truly appreciate your feedback. I have personally addressed all your concerns listed with our department managers. I hope this does not deter you from visiting Summer Bay Resorts-Las Vegas Desert Club in the future.
richmond va
Reviewed July 25, 2010

My first time staying at Summer Bay and all I can say it was a wonderful experience. I read about the construction in the front entrance but it was not an issue and not bad at all. There was no problem with access to the resort. I had a one bedroom that was perfect. Full size kitchen allowed me to have breakfast, lunch and snacks without spending alot of money eating on the strip. They offer shuttle service to several locations on the strip, however since the resort is directly behind Imperial Palace you can easily walk the two blocks. You can also catch a shuttle to the grocery store if needed. The pool area is very clean and well maintaned. The staff there are top notch. Any time I called the operator was helpful and connected me to the right person for any questions that I had. You can tell they are customer focused with everything they do. From the golf cart drivers to the security walking the grounds, everyone was friendly and always spoke. I was really impressed with how they went out of their way to make the guests happy. I was thinking about writing a bad review just so that when I return to Vegas I would be able to get a room but then that is not fair because this resort is totally awesome. When I return I will stay at this place for sure.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
cyndiriegerpeffer, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
We are dedicated to providing the best customer service that Vegas has to offer and praising our team members for a job well done.
Federal Way, WA
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Stayed there for one night while on a trip through the Southwest. Had to stop and check in with a security guard before entering the premises. Was a little daunting at first but help keeps unwanted individuals out. When you enter the resort, there is a lot of construction going on as many reviewers have noted. A new entry way and club house are being constructed and there is construction material stored under carports and adjacent to the driveways but this resort has a lot to offer. The people are very helpful, the location is great, and the accomodations are excellent. The front desk person checked us in promptly and was extremely helpful, expecially noting the shuttle service that was available. She pointed out that there was a covered area just outside the door where the suttle would pick you up and provided us with a schedule with the pick up times for the various locations. Our unit was in building nine towards the back. The unit was one of their rental units so it did not have the upgrades that many reviewers talked about, but it was exteremely clean and very comfortable. We decided to drive to the casinos rather than take the shuttle. If you drive a couple blocks north on Koval, you can park in the Harrah's or Venetian's parking garages and have easy access to Harrah's, Venetian, Treasure Island, Mirage, and other casinos in the area. Check out was quick and easy. The resort is a couple of blocks east of Interstate 15 gving you easy access to go south to Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon or north to Zion and Bryce Canyon Natl Parks.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fromak
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Summer Bay Resorts-Las Vegas. We truly appreciate your feedback, we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Las Vegas.
Long Island
Reviewed July 13, 2010

My husband and I went to Vegas for our honeymoon and stayed at Summer Bay from June 27-July 3. Once the woman at the front desk found out we were on our honeymoon we got upgraded to a deluxe suite and were able to check in right away! We were very impressed with our room, which has a complete kitchen, 2 big screen tv's, plenty of closet space, a huge bathtub, and a washer/dryer. We were on the ground floor, and never heard any noise from any of the upstairs apartments, it was great.

There is some construction going on, but we were gone most of the day so we never heard any noise from it, and our building was also in the back of the property. I believe they are building a deli/convenience store, which will be really nice to have right on the property.

There are complimentary shuttles that run pretty frequently and drop you off at 3 different points on the strip. I believe the stops are the Tropicana, Flamingo, and Stratosphere/Circus Circus. The shuttles were never late, and saved us a fortune on taxis! If you don't want to walk to the front of the building where the shuttles you are, you can call for a bellman, and they will take you to the front. They always came quickly when we called, sometimes only 2 or 3 minutes after we hung up the phone!

There is complimentary coffee available, which we had every morning before getting on the shuttle! There is a dvd kiosk where you can rent movies, and they had a pretty good selection.

Overall we had a fantastic time at Summer Bay, and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RS626
Thank you for taking the time to write such an outstanding review on Summer Bay Resorts-Las Vegas. We truly appreciate your feedback, we look forward to being your home away from home on your next visit to Las Vegas.
South Dakota
Reviewed July 7, 2010

A friend and I stayed at Summer Bay Resort May 13-17th. It was a girl's getaway weekend and this resort is available through my timeshare. It is about 1 1/2 blocks away from the strip, but there is a shuttle that runs about every 30-60 minutes. We had a two BR/ two bath condo and kitchen/living room. It was very nice, and as a diva who spends alot of time primping, it was great for each of us to have our own bathroom. My tub was so big I could have fit three people in it. (what happens in Vegas...)
We went rock climbing one day, chilled at the pool one day--which was very nice--plenty of towels and nice loungers. The staff was fantastic--picking us up in the golf cart whenever we needed to get to the main building. I heard they are still building a sandwich shop ?and sundries-type store on the property, that will be really nice to have when completed. We spent our nights at O'Shea's and the Carnaval Bar. My only grievance is that the shuttle stops running around midnight---who goes home at midnight in Vegas???!!! Not us girls.!! Luckily, we were able to find a couple of protective chaperones to guide us back....
I would definitely stay here again. XOX Las Vegas

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
cyndiriegerpeffer, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2010
Midway City
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Excellent for the prices we paid. We have 4 families with young children, teenager and seniors, stayed in 2-2 kings bed, w/sofa bed units. Very nice, roomy, clean and very comfortable. We have plenty of towels, and love their Mango shampoo and lotion. We didn't mind about the 10am check out. We arrived at 10am and Front desk allowed us to check in early that was Very nice of them. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
cyndiriegerpeffer, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review Summer Bay Resorts-Las Vegas Desert Club. We truly appreciate your feedback.
We thrive on providing the best customer service and hope that on your next trip to Las Vegas that Summer Bay Resorts-Las Vegas Desert Club will be your home away from home.