“Awesome...best room we have ever had”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort
Ranked #32 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Washington
“Awesome...best room we have ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

We just returned before Valentine's Day...I was a little concerned after reading some of the other reviews but the room was excellent. At first, the temporary check in desk scared me and I thought we were in for an adventure but the 2 Bedroom room was outstanding. After check in, Steve took us to our room, carried the bags up the stairs (no elevators here) and opened our door. That was worth at least $5 to me. We stayed in Bldg 17, Room 308 and it has a view of the Wynn, Harrah’s, Stratosphere, and Hilton. The room came with 3 Plasma TV's (50" and 42" in both bedrooms), marble counters, fireplace, giant soaking tub, nice kitchen, very nice furniture and comfortable beds. I travel a lot and I would compare it to a Marriott/Hyatt Hotel or close to a Ritz. We did not get a car, just used the resorts van, walked, or hailed down a taxi. After walking and hailing taxis for a couple days, we found out that the resorts van will take you places not on the scheduled list if you make prior arrangements (don’t forget to tip). I wish I would have taken better use of it, given that taxis run about $8-$15 per ride, depending on where you are headed? I would defiantly stay here again. Only draw back, Jacuzzi was on the fritz so we had to use the giant tub, which actually turned out better than planned And yes, there was construction going on, but it was manageable and they worked during normal work hours. When I spoke to the staff, they still plan to be completed by November 09.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bazarman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2009

This timeshare should not be open until it is completed. We traded 2 of our timeshares for 2 two bedroom units. We were given units in the old section. Parking was a real problem for us in building 9 as all the construction vehicles and storage units were housed in our parking stalls. When the wind blew, all the piled up garbage started to fly and even flew on to our balcony. Some quite large pieces hit our cars also. The Old units which we were in where not up to RCI standards as far as I am concerned. The floors were so dirty that our white socks were black. The carpets were in very bad shape and the furniture was well worn. The fireplaces did not work and there wasno response to our call for maintenance. The units were meant to accomodate 6 people each, however there were not eneough utensils for even 4 people. The tubs and showers were so stained they looked dirty and the countertops were well worn and stained also. I did look at some of the new units and they were beautiful but our experience was okay if you didn't want to spend anytime there. Don't go by the fotos on their web sight because that is not what we got for our exchange. No flat screens in our units Just broken down old tvs. 3 of the 6 tvs between the 2 units did not work. I must tell you that I made 3 separate phone calls before hand to make sure that we would be in a new unit. Each time I was told that all units were new and refurbished. So if you are lucky enough to get a new unit, you will love it. As for us we had backhoes moving around under our bedroom windows at sunup. I would never stay there again until I was sure that all rooms were completed because the old units we were given were below a 1 star hotel room. And again let me stress that the construction was beyond my imagination to the point of being dangerous when it started blowing around. Large dumpsters were overflowing the whole week I was there ( Jan 2 - 9). If you are planning on staying there, just make sure that you are not in any of the back buildings which they are working on or have not gotten to yet.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank otc123
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2009

Six people and myself traveled to Vegas to bring in 2009. Upon arriving at Summer Bay desert club I noticed that renovations were still not completed on the new property. Check in was very fast at the temporary front office, and staff was very friendly. When we walked into our two bedroom suite we were greeted with a spacious living room and a good size fully equipped kitchen. Keep in mind that i had traveled and stayed at the old summer bay resort less than a year earlier. Things started to look familiar: the sofas, the cabinets in the kitchen and all the furniture. After realizing that our room was equipped with the old stuff i put my things down and quickly got over it. After all we were here to party and would probably spend very little time in the room. The pool and jacuzzi were heated and let me just say amazing after a long night at the dance clubs. My friends and I 4 girls and 3 guys found that walking was not very far. only about 10 min to the strip. Cabs were on average about $7 so transportation was great. All staff was friendly, and very helpful when needed. I highly recommend anyone staying here or even going to Vegas to eat at BAUTISTA'S Hole in the wall Italian restaurant. its behind the Flamingo walking distance from summer bay. Its great Italian food! Overall it was a great week in Vegas and I would stay here again!

• Liked — the pool and the distance to the strip
  • Disliked — not compleated with the renovation
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank jose1177
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2009

We got our reservation for summerbay through a timeshare exchange (we own elsewhere) and were able to stay over New Years Eve. Needless to say the strip and (the entire ride to vegas and back) were hectic at times--but hey, thats Vegas. I was quite nervous about our room, as a lot of the reviews here were hit or miss, but I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when we entered the room and the first thing I see is a lovely glass dining table with high-backed chairs, new, dark-wood cabinets, a plush couch and, oh yeah, a HUGE plasma flat-screen TV (I think that might have been ALL my boyfriend saw).

The bed was also large and comfortable--California King, I think. There was also an identical TV in the bedroom. That was about all that fit into the bedroom, and you had to walk sideways to get between the bed and the flatscreen on the wall, so the bedroom could have been a bit more spacious, but i really wasn't complaining. (At times though, I felt the TV was almost TOO BIG for the space since it ended up being so close, but apparently calling any TV "too big" is blasphemy according to my BF). The bathroom is also nice and large, and the tub could probably fit 3 average sized people comfortably (I guess that's the type of stuff that goes down in vegas!), and the shower was one of those over-head "rain" types, so it was quite nice as well. Water got hot, and the water power was good as well.

Closet was nicely done, but few hangers (and they aren't removable). So if you are staying for a week and have a lot of things that need to be hung up, you should bring your own. Also, there was a vacuum in the room but no iron. It might also be available on request, but I didn't need to ask.

Rooms are also have Wi-Fi. It was free when we stayed, but I think that will be a per diem feature eventually.

Location was great in that we could leave the strip or strategically get on the strip without getting ensnared in strip traffic. However, without a car that is NOT a fun walk. The roads were closed on New Years and I had to walk to the Wynn in heels--it was a relatively short walk--about 15--but NOT fun. Most days we drove into Harrah's garage and entered the strip from there. We took the shuttle once, but make sure you pay close attention to the times, they don't go to the hotels very often, and some only at certain times of the day. The WALK from the hotel to Harrahs did not look particularly long--probably would have been about 10 minutes. But it did not look particularly safe either--at least at night.

The hotel is still having some growing pains, and we had our water OFF for at least 5 hours on the morning of new years eve--that meant no sink, no shower, no toilets! Fortunately it was fixed by the time we got home. Irritating, but hopefully a one-off thing.

I definitely enjoyed my stay here, but my boyfriend and I had just finished finals and had a hectic last couple of months so we were mostly content to chill in our room and watch movies in a comfortable space, and only went out a few times--and most of our trips to the strip were pretty brief. However, if you are really trying enjoy all the vegas-ness of vegas, this may not be the best place for you since there is absolutely NO action at the hotel, and the trek to the strip can be a bit arduous unless you only make it once a day and spend a lot of time on the strip hanging out. Its a tradeoff--you probably won't get a room in a strip hotel with these amenities at this price.

A couple of things that irked me though was that the bathtub had no jets--so it was a huge tub, but not very exciting or really worth using unless you enjoy just a plain bubble bath. Also, we did not receive ANY maid service at all. We stayed a week and no one came by--I think even time shares, if you stay a week, you get one maintenance. Not a HUGE deal, but still.

**For future reference, we stayed in building 7, so to the extent that you can pick your own room/building, that seems to be one of the renovated ones. The numbering was quite odd though, as we were right next to building 18, so I can't say which other buildings are newly renovated and which are older.

• Liked — The room itself
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank moneypenny02
Nottingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2009

First things first, there is a huge renovation project going on here at the moment and as such the experiance of each traveller will be very different. We where given an old unit in the new location (Desert club) and it was not the greatest accomodation I have been in but it was not bad.

There where however some small problems. Room was not ready at check in time and was told that we would be told when it was, we waited an hour and still no one had been to see us so enquired at desk and was told that it was now indeed ready. On the first night after just arriving the toilet would not flush and maintanece had to completly remove the toilet and re fit te greese ring (nice way to spend ur first night in vegas)

Location is okay 10 minutes from strip but will involve walking down some fairly un-friendly looking streets, we found the best way was to go througth the Imperial palace car park anbd through the casino floor.

Pools are nice but are not heated and in Sep even in vegas they where to cold to use.

The other problem was the shuttle service the hotel puts on to the supermarket which is a 45 minutes walk away. There where no places avalible and they only run one a day. The shuttle service itself to the strip and Freedmont is a nice touch and helps with transport if you dont have a car but remember to book well in advance (24hr)

While there we did have a sneek peek in the newely refurbished units and these are beautiful with leather arm chairs, gas fires, beautiful kitchens etc.

Althought are stay was not great I would deffintly come again in the future if i was guranteed one of the new units.

• Liked — The new units are fantastic
  • Disliked — The old units are very average
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank mwillan
West Allis, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

This was supposed to be a highly rated resort and I do NOT completely agree. Construction aside, this soon to be 21 separate building (about 3 stories tall each) resort is simply gutted and refurbished apartment buildings. That's fine except the fact that our building #6 was outdated, with OLD appliances and countertops, no Plasma T.V.'s, and a blinding light that woke you up immediately when the sun came up. Ahhh, nothing like sleeping in!!! Of the 3 T.V. remotes, only one had batteries in them. There's hardly any warm water, so be prepared for a quick shower. Good luck getting a maintainence person too. Our shower didn't work and I called the maintainence department twice and no one came for over 3 hours. I actually flagged the guy down to fix our shower. The 10-15 minute walk to the strip wasn't too bad if you closed your eyes most of the way to avoid viewing the litter scattered sidewalks and bottles everywhere. Now for the POSITIVE!!! Cleaning service is offered every third day. You will never run out of towels, shampoo, and soap. There are shuttles offered to the strip every 30 to 60 minutes and a one-way dropoff to Fremont Street twice a day. The 2 bedroom setup was plenty roomy and the fridge served its purpose. Once this resort is completed it will be of average value. I suggest staying on the strip like I did last time we visited!!!

• Liked — Room size and somewhat close to the strip
  • Disliked — No hot water, limited amenities, and poor service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mjours
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

My family enjoyed a week's stay at the Summer Bay Resort Las Vegas over the Christmas week 2008. We stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo that was newly renovated. The condo was spacious, tastefully decorated and overlooked the pool and hot tub. We had a gas fireplace that was push button operated and on a timer which was beautiful and very welcome after a cold day outdoors. All rooms were spotlessly clean and the resort staff changed sheets and towels midweek. Summer Bay is located 2 long blocks from the Las Vegas strip ( about 1/2 mile) and an easy walk. Summer Bay also has free shuttles to casinos all along the Strip on a regular schedule. We used them on several occasions and found them to be convenient and on time. The Resort staff was friendly, helpful and easily accessed. My family really enjoyed the space and ammenities of the Summer Bay Resort Las Vegas. We will return to this property on our next visit to Las Vegas!!

• Liked — Location close to the Las Vegas Strip
  • Disliked — not having a longer vacation
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family