“Worked for us” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Aberdeen, South Dakota
“Worked for us”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

We stayed at Summer Bay resorts Las Vegas March 19 - 24. We own a timeshare there, and from what I understand, the old buildings are being torn down and replaced with new units. That's a good thing. The room wasn't that bad, but it wasn't all that nice either. We weren't looking for a five-star resort, we were looking for a place to sleep for a few hours after staying out all night. :)

My husband and I were travelling with a couple who have a 1-year-old. (P.S. don't bring your baby to Vegas! haha) Summer Bay staff provided a crib for him when we asked with no hassle. In fact, it was waiting for us when we got there late at night. It wasn't a nice crib, but the kid didn't seem to mind it. :) I did find a dead cockroach in the bathroom, but I wasn't too creeped out by it. It would have been worse if I had found it alive! Other than that bug, the room was clean and comfortably cool.

As we discovered, it was pretty creepy to walk back to our room late at night, because it is off the strip. We never had any problems though. I didn't think it was too far from the strip. You could access the monorail via a special elevator that was just for Summer Bay resort guests. Also walking through the Imperial Palace was a quick way to get to the strip. Or else walking to Bally's worked too. Given the amount of walking you do there, what's another block or so to get to your hotel. :)

The concierge named Carrie (or something like that?) was super nice and gave us lots of ideas for shows to see and got us discounted tickets for a great show at the Imperial Palace. The people working at the resort were very nice and treated us like old friends.

Above all, we had a great time in Vegas and the staff was very accommodating for us. Obviously the rooms need a bit of work, but from the pictures I've seen, the new ones are going to be just awesome. We're going back in March 2009.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The dead bug in the bathroom
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank girllovesdisney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

We spent 3 days at the Summer's Bay resort. First, let me say that we were some of the last people to stay in the resort. They were planning to move to their new resort in August. I did not get to tour the new rooms because we were staying with friends who owned the time share.

The rooms we stayed in smelled of smoke and housekeeping never cleaned the room the whole stay. The whirlpool was cold the first night.

I could not say that I don't recommend staying there because they are moving. I will say that I hope service is better at the new facility. It is a block back from the old buildings and thus further from the strip.

The next time I stay in vegas, it would be in one of the Hotels on the strip. I like the convience of on propety restaurants and bars. Also it is easier to get around by the double decker if you do not rent a car. If you rather cook yourself and don't mind taking the shuttle or renting a car then give the new place a try, otherwise stay on the strip.

• Liked — Did provide shuttle service
  • Disliked — Smelly room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
New Port Richey, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

We recently enjoyed a ten day stay at Summer Bay. We were there with other family members and had a one bedroom and two bedroom condo in the main building. Our check-in went very smoothly. We were offered many wonderful opportunities for shows and dinners. There was no pressure to view any presentations. When we checked into our two bedroom condo we were very pleasantly surprised. It was immaculately clean. The kitchen was fully stocked with cooking items and utensils. The bathroom was beautiful as were both bedrooms. The living and dining rooms were very comfy. The pool area was clean and inviting. The housekeeping staff were very accommodating. The front desk staff were friendly and ready to help if needed. There were different activities daily in the main lobby. We would suggest they post some sort of calendar ahead of time so one knows what will be available. Some of the different activities were an ice cream social, popcorn wagon, morning coffee and bagels. On the 4th of July they hosted a barbecue. We would most definitely stay again at this location if the opportunity should arise.

• Liked — It supplied all the comforts of home and it's location.
  • Disliked — Checking out...wished we could have stayed longer.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephen S
Mission Viejo, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

I'm always amused by some of the scathing reviews I read about this resort! My wife and I ( and sometimes with grown-up kids and friends) have stayed here on many occasions and have never had a bad experience. We have been in various rooms around the resort and some are nicer than others but were always clean with nothing missing. The one time we had a problem was when there was no hot water. They immediately sent a repair man and after an hour or so, they couldn't fix it. The front desk was very helpful and they quickly relocated us to another unit. A word of advice to those of you who complain about problems after you have checked out - if you have an issue with something, get them to fix it or ask to be moved. They will gladly accommodate your requests. We own a timeshare in Las Vegas at Peace Canyon which is a high-end resort but we seldom use it since we can get better value for our points at Summer Bay plus Summer Bay is a great location. We didn't book this year because of the resort move but we can't wait to see how the new resort shapes up!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Mission Viejo California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

This is the worst case of Internet Fraud I have ever seen. After 90 minutes of my time I was asked to pay for my vacation which was supposed to be free and I met all of the terms and conditions on the web site. They told me those were only the basic 19 different rules and their were others thry were required to verify after the presentation.

RUN THE OTHER WAY,

• Liked — NICE PLACE, BUT I HATE THIEVES
  • Disliked — THEY REFUSED TO HONOR MY FREE VACTION AFTER COMPLETING 90 MINUTE PRESENTATION
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank zcruiser99
Minneapolis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2008

I exchanged into this hotel being told that the new units would be ready. When I got there, it was a first come first serve basis on the rooms (what?). There was only rooms with full beds left in the main building, the new one wasn't open yet, and the only units with king size beds were in the "motel" section.

So we grabbed a king size unit in the motel section. My huband thought, how bad can it be? Don't judge a book by its cover.

We walked into the unit and on first glance it looked rather nice. Small kitchen, small leather love seat, seperate bedroom. Okay this might not be so bad. Went to sleep the first night and that's where the trouble began. The bedroom heat unit (it was December) had not been used recently, and after a couple of hours the smoke alarm went off! Tried again an hour later and same result. I ended up sitting on the nice leather couch in the living room so I could keep warm. My huaband was able to bury in blankets and fall back asleep in the 50 degrees room.

Next morning two other problems arose - bed bug bites and a cold shower for my husband. Not so good.

So I wisely packed up and went elsewhere. We were out the exchange (real bummer) but had a good time anyways. A week later the bug bites were gone and I was relieved they didnt travel home with us.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Motel, buges, cold shower, improper heating/cooling units
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Piratelady
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2008

We stayed at Summer Bay Las Vegas with a timeshare exchange through RCI.

The attraction of staying at Summer Bay is how close it is to the strip. Walk for a few minutes and you are there! Summer Bay also has their own monorail lift to get onto the Flamingo station platform which is very handy.

We knew before arriving that Summer Bay is shifting soon and the safest place to stay is in the main reception building which we requested by email before arriving. We got this request which was great. The staff were all very friendly and helpful throughout the stay and we were even given free tickets for the Fantasy show at the luxor from the concierge desk one night when were heading out.

The room was basic and clean but we were out most the time so it was fine.

All up we very pleased with our desision to stay at summer bay after having a few worries about it after reading reviews on tripadvisor.

• Liked — Close proximity to the strip
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends