“What's all the fuss about”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Desert Club Resort
Ranked #40 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed July 17, 2008

I'm always amused by some of the scathing reviews I read about this resort! My wife and I ( and sometimes with grown-up kids and friends) have stayed here on many occasions and have never had a bad experience. We have been in various rooms around the resort and some are nicer than others but were always clean with nothing missing. The one time we had a problem was when there was no hot water. They immediately sent a repair man and after an hour or so, they couldn't fix it. The front desk was very helpful and they quickly relocated us to another unit. A word of advice to those of you who complain about problems after you have checked out - if you have an issue with something, get them to fix it or ask to be moved. They will gladly accommodate your requests. We own a timeshare in Las Vegas at Peace Canyon which is a high-end resort but we seldom use it since we can get better value for our points at Summer Bay plus Summer Bay is a great location. We didn't book this year because of the resort move but we can't wait to see how the new resort shapes up!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 9, 2008

This is the worst case of Internet Fraud I have ever seen. After 90 minutes of my time I was asked to pay for my vacation which was supposed to be free and I met all of the terms and conditions on the web site. They told me those were only the basic 19 different rules and their were others thry were required to verify after the presentation.

RUN THE OTHER WAY,

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank zcruiser99
Reviewed July 3, 2008

I exchanged into this hotel being told that the new units would be ready. When I got there, it was a first come first serve basis on the rooms (what?). There was only rooms with full beds left in the main building, the new one wasn't open yet, and the only units with king size beds were in the "motel" section.

So we grabbed a king size unit in the motel section. My huband thought, how bad can it be? Don't judge a book by its cover.

We walked into the unit and on first glance it looked rather nice. Small kitchen, small leather love seat, seperate bedroom. Okay this might not be so bad. Went to sleep the first night and that's where the trouble began. The bedroom heat unit (it was December) had not been used recently, and after a couple of hours the smoke alarm went off! Tried again an hour later and same result. I ended up sitting on the nice leather couch in the living room so I could keep warm. My huaband was able to bury in blankets and fall back asleep in the 50 degrees room.

Next morning two other problems arose - bed bug bites and a cold shower for my husband. Not so good.

So I wisely packed up and went elsewhere. We were out the exchange (real bummer) but had a good time anyways. A week later the bug bites were gone and I was relieved they didnt travel home with us.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Piratelady
Reviewed June 1, 2008

We stayed at Summer Bay Las Vegas with a timeshare exchange through RCI.

The attraction of staying at Summer Bay is how close it is to the strip. Walk for a few minutes and you are there! Summer Bay also has their own monorail lift to get onto the Flamingo station platform which is very handy.

We knew before arriving that Summer Bay is shifting soon and the safest place to stay is in the main reception building which we requested by email before arriving. We got this request which was great. The staff were all very friendly and helpful throughout the stay and we were even given free tickets for the Fantasy show at the luxor from the concierge desk one night when were heading out.

The room was basic and clean but we were out most the time so it was fine.

All up we very pleased with our desision to stay at summer bay after having a few worries about it after reading reviews on tripadvisor.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2008

We are just ending our stay. I must say I was apprehensive because of the negative reviews. We are in a Villa that has security gates. A nice courtyard with hot tub and picnic area. Off the bedroom is a patio with a secluded area for sun bathing. The villa was clean, but you can tell this is an older resort. I understand they will be tearing all this down and will be moving into a new resort. Never once have we felt in 'danger' even coming in at 4:30AM from the casinos. I am not unhappy with any part of my stay here. My home resort is on Orlando and is much newer so don't feel right comparing the two. Check in was a breeze, everyone was very friendly. Overall, we have been happy with our stay at Summer Bay Resort.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2008

I am a Summer Bay owner. I must say that the "few" times I have stayed there, a total of 3 times since I have been a owner (2003), I have never been so disgusted in my entire life!!! I won a lottery of some sorts to be upgraded to hold a 2 bedroom deed for "my property" COOL, GREAT, whatever...so they had offered for myself & the other owner to come out to visit their new construction for the buyout from Harrahs. Ok! Another 90 minute timeshare presentation. We arrived on Friday morning, checked in right away went to our room, the last building next to the Italian Restaurant & the Liquor store. I wasn't feeling all that safe to be right there, because usually I am in the middle somewhere with other people around me. I am also with my 12 year old daughter & my sister. We drop off our luggage open some curtains & tons of moths flying from everyone. Once those were shewed out we head to Bally's to start our adventure for the day. We come back to the room later that evening. My daughter wanted to go swimming so we went to the pool by the Club House area, the pool was not heated, deflated pool toys, the hot-tub was cold, and moths flying everywhere. It was gross! We then headed back to our room for the night, started showers and there were dead bugs in the window sill, the water coming out from the shower head was low. Everyone finished their showers and headed to bed. We were gone all day saturday, came in late, took showers and packed for our departure the next day. My sister was putting stuff away in here suitcase on the bed & opened the curtains only to find that there was a coachroach laying dead on the dirty disgusting carpet. I find this out on the last day of being there for 3 days total. I was so sick I could not get out the that room fast enough. I took the coachroach to the front desk when I checked out & asked for a refund of my $10 a night upgrade to the larger room. The woman at the front desk said "oh my thats not good", needed to get help from anohter person for the refund. That woman came up and said "oh that's just a grasshopper". I dont know what country she is from but grasshoppers and cockroaches do NOT look alike. Needless to say I will never stay at this resort or "hell hole" ever again, and not even at the new place. Then having to go home & shake out all our clothes for other cockroaches!! I will just always exchange for a nicer place in Vegas. DO NOT BOOK THIS PLACE!!!!

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank ColoradoChick37
Reviewed May 8, 2008

This was my 5th trip to Las Vegas and each time i have used time share time for my accomodations. Summer Bay was new for us. It is located directly behind the Imperial Palace and very convenient to the strip. We previously stayed at Tropicana, Polo Towers and The Jockey Club. All are nice, but the staff at Summer Bay was extra ordinary. They were polite and helpful and went out of their way with any needs we had. The resort itself is old, but they are tearing down all the old buildings and replacing them with new rooms. They have many pools and spas. The a/c in our room was like a freezer which was good for us because we love the cool air. We had three units, 2- two bedrooms and 1- one bedroom and they were each a little different. i am assuming this is because the resort is older and things have been replaced. The resort was clean and neat and we really enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: May 2008