“What great service”

Ranked #37 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Vancouver, Washington
“What great service”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Everyone we came across and spoke to and worked with at the resort was wonderful. The door men were so great at getting us to where we needed to be, even when the bus company for the airport messed up and didn't pick us up! The fantastic guys at the front got us taken care of and to the airport on time. The concierge got us AWESOME, last minute tickets and took care of all the holding on the phone and everything. We felt like everyone there wanted us to have an amazing time. The pools were clean and there was enough of them around that if we didn't feel like being splashed with kids, we could go to another one and find a quiet, more adult crowd. Maybe adding an "Adults only pool Happy Hour", late at night, would be a great idea?? The room was so great! We had a 2 bdrm suite and it had everything we needed. Although on the website it says that the kitchen includes 'spices'...well, I guess I expected more than salt and pepper...lol. The only thing we didn't care for was the restaurant. This is Vegas people! You need to get a descent chef in there and a descent food supplier. If it costs $12 for a sandwich...it should be a GOOD sandwich. Also, only one girl in the place made an iced latte correctly. People need training. I received 3 bitter, watered down coffee's! And they were $6 each for only a double shot...that is so frustrating to me.
It was a great location to be able to leave "the strip" behind and relax after a long day of Vegas fun.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Lugo A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind words.

I will be sharing your very nice feedback regarding the staff and the resort with all our team members and especially with the transportation team (the guys at the front)! We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay and found our resort to be an "Oasis"away from the Strip!

We look forward to your return stay!

A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great resort! I would recommend the only negative comment I have is the Las Vegas flying bugs on the terrace. I could not deal! So if u come bring bug spray! The bugs fly and at night it's worst. They came into our room twice but we killed them. It's really worst if u are on the ground floor.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Cboria
Thanks for your great rating! We hope you will come back and visit us again!

We value your patronage!

Vacaville
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I own several time shares there already and they still try to pressure me into another sales pitch when I first get there and then during the stay, but if you are not interested you seem to be treated just a little less well. Also I think that although the room itself was nice, I mean inside they all pretty much look the same anyway of all the times we have stayed there we have never had a room that faced anything other than the street and sometimes construction materials on top of that. It seems when we talk to other guests there that the better rooms facing the pools and such are given more to potential buyer than ones that are already owners. Once we got to our room and saw where it was we did ask to move and were told it wasn't possible which we found hard to believe in August. I do agree that since the new ownership things are not quite up to the mark. Only one barbecue worked where we were, some of the gym equipment was out the whole week we were there for repair, and for a whole week stay they don't supply you with much, only give you one regular coffee packet , one tiny shampoos, etc. That being said every one there is very friendly, we did take advantage of the shuttle service several times, and we felt comfortable within our room.

1 Thank Tammy D
Thank you for your candid feedback.
We are completely remodeling all of our units, as well as our common areas. In the last year, we have added a new restaurant, a new fleet of shuttles and transportation vehicles and a new state of the art fitness center, providing our resort with two nicely equipped fitness centers.
We appreciate your kind words on the friendliness of our staff and hope you will return in the near future to enjoy all of the resort's improvements.

We do value your patronage!

Hilo, Hawaii
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The location is great, the staff was friendly and helpful, the units are large and comfortable but:
My wife and I have stayed here before it was purchased by Holiday Inn and it was much better then. Check in went OK until the time share (They call it a Vacation Club) pitch started.They said they just wanted to let us know about the changes that had been and were being made and it would take about an hour. Well it took well over three hours and it was your typical hard sell time share pitch. My advice, SKIP IT AT ALL COST.

The first unit we checked into (building 18) looked worn and poorly kept and within minutes our feet were black from walking bare foot on the floors. The rugs looked like they had not been cleaned in weeks if not months.

We complained and were moved to a "remodeled unit" building 1. It had newer but cheaper looking furnishings and the floors were a little cleaner but not much. It took half an hour or so for our feet to turn black. We did not feel like moving again so said nothing.

There were a number of issues with the second unit.
Only two of the four burners on the stove worked properly. One would not light (a safety issue) and another burner only about half the burner had flame.
The hot water in the master bath sink did not work. I found a push button shutoff valve under the sink and if I pushed it we would get hot water but we had to push it each time we wanted hot water in the sink.
The door hinges in the master bath squeaked as if in a haunted house.
There were cobwebs on some of the fake plants.
We found dirt and items left by previous guest under the beds.
We did not have any of these issues the two times we stayed here before Holiday Inn took over.
I had thought Holiday in was a pretty good company but our experience here has given me second thoughts.

I did report the problems I noticed on check out so maybe they will correct them.

If it had been just one or two problems I would think it was just an oversight but it looks to me like Holiday Inn is more interested in selling "Vacation Club Memberships" than in maintaining their units.
Note: They do not have room service as far a I know. I check it below by mistake and could not uncheck it.

3 Thank wantabephotog
Thank you for making the time from your busy schedule to share your vacation experience.We continue to make improvements based on the feedback provided by our guests and it is through comments such as yours that we are able to improve upon our services and facilities.

We are glad to learn that our team members service continues to be friendly and we hope you will visit us again to enjoy all of the resort improvements.

We do value your patronage!

Calgary, Alberta Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The hotel 'rooms' are actually very nice suites, with nice furnishings and a well equipped kitchen. The hotel grounds are very well maintained and there are five swimming pools on the premises. The hotel location is also very good and they provide an excellent shuttle bus service to and from the 'strip'.
The only negative side is that when you check in they give you 'discount' vouchers and then usher you to a different counter where a women tells you that you are VIP guests and then proceeds to launch into a high pressure sales pitch urging you to buy a unit or a timeshare. When we told her we were not interested she became very rude and angry and would not even acknowledge us for the rest of our stay...........not a pleasant way to start off a vacation!

Room Tip: Try to get a suite close to the main entrance. They do provide a pick up service but we often just w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank 66scottie
Lugo A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments on our resort units and facilities.

We are glad that you enjoyed your accommodations and found them to be comfortable and very spacious,We appreciate your candid feedback on the Marketing Staff and will be sharing your comments with our Project Sales Manager.

We do appreciate your patronage.

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Probably the best equipped property we stayed at on our 3 week roadtrip - our suite had everything you would need, including a washer and a dryer to keep the Mrs happy.

Very comfortable, plenty of pools, good location, excellent free wifi connections, and set back a couple of streets from the strip so mostly quiet. For the price, excellent value for money - cheapest hotel of our 3 week trip.

Only two (minor ) grumbles ..... the ceilings are paper thin so you can hear what is going on in the room above you ( think 3am arrivals, who were honeymooning hippos) and the grilling in the lobby immediately after check in about our plans for our stay by what turned out to be the HI "timeshare sales guy" wasn't appreciated - not interested dude!, He seemed genuinely surprised when his $100 voucher for show tickets didn't tempt me. and once he realised I wasn't giving any buying signals and we weren't going to add to his weekly sales figures, practically threw a $20 voucher (which we trashcanned) at me. I work in sales too, but I'm always courteous whether I made a sale or not.....poor!

The paper ceilings issue took the gloss off our trip to Grand Canyon south rim the following day as we were somewhat knackered and up at 5:30am, and the epic fail of the time share dude was just annoying, but we didn't let it spoil our stay overall.

Would I recommend it - yes, but take a top floor room, and try and avoid Mr Timeshare.

Room Tip: Take a top floor room, so you can annoy everybody underneath you, but sleep peacefully yourself.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank St_Judes_pie_eater
Thank you for making the time to share your vacation experience. We are glad that you enjoyed our resort and found it to meet and exceed your expectations. We appreciate your feedback on the resort, as well as the Sales presentation, which we shared with our Project Manager, who will follow up with the required action.

Again, we appreciate your candid remarks and look forward to your return stay.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed 3 nights (August 15-18) in Building 4, Room 303. We arrived just before 11 pm since our flight didn’t arrive until about 9:45 pm. The taxi with tip was $18. It was $15 on the return trip, but there is a $3 surcharge for all trips from the airport. I tipped between $2 and $3 and rounded up both times. Check-in was the biggest negative of the whole stay and scared me as to what was to come. Max checked us in. There were two other young guys also working at the time we arrived. Even though “Platinum Elite” was on my welcome folder, I had to remind him of my status as I asked about a room upgrade. His comment was that it would have been made at the time of the reservation, but it was the same as booked? I changed my reservation twice after I booked it since I checked the prices daily and the first night deposit refund posted to my credit card the same day as the new first night deposit charge both times so no issues concerning deposit refunds. Back to my upgrade, neither of the 3 could make a decision so they said they were calling a manager. Supposedly, one was on duty somewhere on property, but no one ever showed up so finally, one of the two other guys directed Max to give me an upgrade. Originally, we were going to be in a building #18, I think at the back of the property and in the smallest room type on property. We were finally given a 1 bedroom suite, which was great and only 50 feet from the main building and the shuttle pick up/drop off area. We made reservations at check in for the shuttle to Fremont St on Saturday morning. That shuttle requires a reservation, and you are guaranteed return in about 4.5 hours. I’m not sure what they would do if you asked to return on a later shuttle. I believe that they have 3 each day to Fremont St. and the factory outlet mall in a combined trip. We almost missed our shuttle back as he was ready to leave right on time even though the original trip was 15 minutes late departing. They had regular shuttles to several places on the strip, and the two we took to the Venetian were not full. We walked down to Paris and then back to the Flamingo and just walked back the first time but took the shuttle back from the Venetian the last night and had no issues. The driver even bought me a Diet Coke. There was another shuttle company offering frequent shuttles to Rio and other Harrah properties so there were plenty of ways to get to the casinos so perhaps the negative comments were made by people who stayed when it was much more crowded or just by complainers who don’t like sharing rides! We enjoy the Tuscany and walked the 1/3 mile (1/2 k) on 3 occasions. We had great breakfast there on the first two mornings and were able to take advantage of their pre 6 am steak and egg special ($5.99 including hot drink from 5-6 am and even less before 5 am as we stayed on east coast time since we were there for just a few days). Their casino is small and well ventilated also, but I prefer staying at the Holiday Inn Resort because of the free shuttle service, smoke free buildings, and no resort fee plus I know how to say no to a salesperson trying to sell me a time share. Also, the internet is free and worked flawlessly. Fortunately, when we checked in, the timeshare sales desk was closed. The second and only other negative caused by the staff was the phone call I received the first morning trying to entice me to their 90 minute presentation (others have said in their reviews that these last much longer). I live in Orlando, the timeshare capital of the world, and wouldn’t buy one under any circumstance short of something like waiving all taxes and fees, transporting me to and from for free, feeding me the entire duration of my stay, etc. In other words, a big no thank you to time shares and caveat emptor to those who have fallen for the sales pitches over the decades here and elsewhere. I stayed because of the Holiday Inn brand and my Platinum Ambassador Elite status. I had booked the senior rate, and Max nor anyone else ever asked me for proof since I’m more than a decade under 65 and don’t look my age, I’ve been told, but I am a member of AARP and do qualify for the rate. If you want to take the chance, book that rate since it is often less expensive and has fewer cancellation restrictions! The room was great. It had a large living room area with dining table by the entry and then a sofa and chairs in front of a fire place (didn’t use since it was 108F/43C outside during the day and 82F/28C at the coolest just before dawn). A large tv was above the fireplace and received many channels. We didn’t use the kitchen for much, but there was a stove, full fridge, coffee maker, toaster, and more. We only used a few cups and the ice from the freezer. (It was loud when the ice dropped in the bucket often) There were utensils and ample supplies of paper towels, toilet paper, and Kleenex. They also provided extra bathroom supplies such as towels, shampoo, soap, etc. I can’t remember anything to complain about concerning the unit. Even the hike up to the third floor was easy, and it was quiet throughout the stay, even with the pool down below. We had a balcony but never used it since it was so hot except to access the washer /dryer, which are in a closet at one end of the balcony. It was nice to be able to bring home mostly clean clothes. From the balcony (and through the curtain that blocked some of the heat from there), one could see one of the pools. There were often people swimming and lying out, but I live in Florida and have a pool and did not go to Vegas to swim! The bedroom was great with king sized bed, end tables on each side, a chaise lounge, and a dresser with another tv above it for the bedroom. Its channel selection was different than that of the other tv, but I only used it once for about 10 minutes. The bed itself was very comfortable, but I didn’t like the pillows. They were smaller than normal and hard and rubbery. There was huge walk in closet also with luggage racks and a much appreciated safe. There was a separate small room with toilet and then a larger room with sink and garden tub. It had a rain shower head also, but there wasn’t too much pressure. I had brought liquid bath soap but never took the luxury bath I had desired because I was just too tired to do it and spent my waking hours enjoying Vegas. I didn’t try the restaurant or the store so I can’t comment. Except for the check in and the annoying phone call from the time share person, it was a great stay despite the heat. I was offered the chance to use my $20 free gift towards a show even though I opted out of the sales pitch but didn’t. I am not sure if I would return to Vegas during the hottest season, but I would stay here if the rate was good. I paid $85 the first night and $104 the last two nights plus tax. I received my expected Priority Club points and was not charged any unexpected charges such as resort or cleaning fees. When I called the night I was booking my reservations on line, I was told that I would receive an upgrade as well as early check in and late check out, most likely, but I didn’t need either of those and had to make a scene for my upgrade so they need some consistent training and policy. They also provided a great map of Vegas and have many activities on property, if that is in your plans. To repeat from earlier, the SHUTTLE SERVICE is FANTASTIC!!! They have a great location here which will even be better once the new shopping area is built between Koval and the strip. I would avoid Buildings #1 and #2, especially the rooms facing Koval, as this is a busy area with traffic and entry noise. The area is much better and safer looking than it was just a few years ago. There is a new parking lot where ugly, barren land was just a year or so ago. The only eyesore remaining is a slum looking apartment complex called the French Villas, I think? Now that the economy seems to be taking off, this property should be more and more appealing, especially if the building and amenities are well maintained as they appeared to be currently, but I did not visit any area of the property except that near the front. Unless I wanted to stay on the strip, this would be my first choice for the value, amenities, and tranquility.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Buildings 1 or 2 (and definitely not on Koval side of either)
3 Thank BerlinG-ParisF
Thank you for making the time from your busy schedule to share your vacation experience with us. We appreciate your feedback, as well as your candid remarks and look forward to your return stay.

We do value your patronage.

a