“Nice hotel but.............”

Ranked #38 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Calgary, Alberta Canada
“Nice hotel but.............”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The hotel 'rooms' are actually very nice suites, with nice furnishings and a well equipped kitchen. The hotel grounds are very well maintained and there are five swimming pools on the premises. The hotel location is also very good and they provide an excellent shuttle bus service to and from the 'strip'.
The only negative side is that when you check in they give you 'discount' vouchers and then usher you to a different counter where a women tells you that you are VIP guests and then proceeds to launch into a high pressure sales pitch urging you to buy a unit or a timeshare. When we told her we were not interested she became very rude and angry and would not even acknowledge us for the rest of our stay...........not a pleasant way to start off a vacation!

Room Tip: Try to get a suite close to the main entrance. They do provide a pick up service but we often just w...
5 Thank 66scottie
Lugo A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments on our resort units and facilities.

We are glad that you enjoyed your accommodations and found them to be comfortable and very spacious,We appreciate your candid feedback on the Marketing Staff and will be sharing your comments with our Project Sales Manager.

We do appreciate your patronage.

A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Probably the best equipped property we stayed at on our 3 week roadtrip - our suite had everything you would need, including a washer and a dryer to keep the Mrs happy.

Very comfortable, plenty of pools, good location, excellent free wifi connections, and set back a couple of streets from the strip so mostly quiet. For the price, excellent value for money - cheapest hotel of our 3 week trip.

Only two (minor ) grumbles ..... the ceilings are paper thin so you can hear what is going on in the room above you ( think 3am arrivals, who were honeymooning hippos) and the grilling in the lobby immediately after check in about our plans for our stay by what turned out to be the HI "timeshare sales guy" wasn't appreciated - not interested dude!, He seemed genuinely surprised when his $100 voucher for show tickets didn't tempt me. and once he realised I wasn't giving any buying signals and we weren't going to add to his weekly sales figures, practically threw a $20 voucher (which we trashcanned) at me. I work in sales too, but I'm always courteous whether I made a sale or not.....poor!

The paper ceilings issue took the gloss off our trip to Grand Canyon south rim the following day as we were somewhat knackered and up at 5:30am, and the epic fail of the time share dude was just annoying, but we didn't let it spoil our stay overall.

Would I recommend it - yes, but take a top floor room, and try and avoid Mr Timeshare.

Room Tip: Take a top floor room, so you can annoy everybody underneath you, but sleep peacefully yourself.
2 Thank St_Judes_pie_eater
Thank you for making the time to share your vacation experience. We are glad that you enjoyed our resort and found it to meet and exceed your expectations. We appreciate your feedback on the resort, as well as the Sales presentation, which we shared with our Project Manager, who will follow up with the required action.

Again, we appreciate your candid remarks and look forward to your return stay.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed 3 nights (August 15-18) in Building 4, Room 303. We arrived just before 11 pm since our flight didn’t arrive until about 9:45 pm. The taxi with tip was $18. It was $15 on the return trip, but there is a $3 surcharge for all trips from the airport. I tipped between $2 and $3 and rounded up both times. Check-in was the biggest negative of the whole stay and scared me as to what was to come. Max checked us in. There were two other young guys also working at the time we arrived. Even though “Platinum Elite” was on my welcome folder, I had to remind him of my status as I asked about a room upgrade. His comment was that it would have been made at the time of the reservation, but it was the same as booked? I changed my reservation twice after I booked it since I checked the prices daily and the first night deposit refund posted to my credit card the same day as the new first night deposit charge both times so no issues concerning deposit refunds. Back to my upgrade, neither of the 3 could make a decision so they said they were calling a manager. Supposedly, one was on duty somewhere on property, but no one ever showed up so finally, one of the two other guys directed Max to give me an upgrade. Originally, we were going to be in a building #18, I think at the back of the property and in the smallest room type on property. We were finally given a 1 bedroom suite, which was great and only 50 feet from the main building and the shuttle pick up/drop off area. We made reservations at check in for the shuttle to Fremont St on Saturday morning. That shuttle requires a reservation, and you are guaranteed return in about 4.5 hours. I’m not sure what they would do if you asked to return on a later shuttle. I believe that they have 3 each day to Fremont St. and the factory outlet mall in a combined trip. We almost missed our shuttle back as he was ready to leave right on time even though the original trip was 15 minutes late departing. They had regular shuttles to several places on the strip, and the two we took to the Venetian were not full. We walked down to Paris and then back to the Flamingo and just walked back the first time but took the shuttle back from the Venetian the last night and had no issues. The driver even bought me a Diet Coke. There was another shuttle company offering frequent shuttles to Rio and other Harrah properties so there were plenty of ways to get to the casinos so perhaps the negative comments were made by people who stayed when it was much more crowded or just by complainers who don’t like sharing rides! We enjoy the Tuscany and walked the 1/3 mile (1/2 k) on 3 occasions. We had great breakfast there on the first two mornings and were able to take advantage of their pre 6 am steak and egg special ($5.99 including hot drink from 5-6 am and even less before 5 am as we stayed on east coast time since we were there for just a few days). Their casino is small and well ventilated also, but I prefer staying at the Holiday Inn Resort because of the free shuttle service, smoke free buildings, and no resort fee plus I know how to say no to a salesperson trying to sell me a time share. Also, the internet is free and worked flawlessly. Fortunately, when we checked in, the timeshare sales desk was closed. The second and only other negative caused by the staff was the phone call I received the first morning trying to entice me to their 90 minute presentation (others have said in their reviews that these last much longer). I live in Orlando, the timeshare capital of the world, and wouldn’t buy one under any circumstance short of something like waiving all taxes and fees, transporting me to and from for free, feeding me the entire duration of my stay, etc. In other words, a big no thank you to time shares and caveat emptor to those who have fallen for the sales pitches over the decades here and elsewhere. I stayed because of the Holiday Inn brand and my Platinum Ambassador Elite status. I had booked the senior rate, and Max nor anyone else ever asked me for proof since I’m more than a decade under 65 and don’t look my age, I’ve been told, but I am a member of AARP and do qualify for the rate. If you want to take the chance, book that rate since it is often less expensive and has fewer cancellation restrictions! The room was great. It had a large living room area with dining table by the entry and then a sofa and chairs in front of a fire place (didn’t use since it was 108F/43C outside during the day and 82F/28C at the coolest just before dawn). A large tv was above the fireplace and received many channels. We didn’t use the kitchen for much, but there was a stove, full fridge, coffee maker, toaster, and more. We only used a few cups and the ice from the freezer. (It was loud when the ice dropped in the bucket often) There were utensils and ample supplies of paper towels, toilet paper, and Kleenex. They also provided extra bathroom supplies such as towels, shampoo, soap, etc. I can’t remember anything to complain about concerning the unit. Even the hike up to the third floor was easy, and it was quiet throughout the stay, even with the pool down below. We had a balcony but never used it since it was so hot except to access the washer /dryer, which are in a closet at one end of the balcony. It was nice to be able to bring home mostly clean clothes. From the balcony (and through the curtain that blocked some of the heat from there), one could see one of the pools. There were often people swimming and lying out, but I live in Florida and have a pool and did not go to Vegas to swim! The bedroom was great with king sized bed, end tables on each side, a chaise lounge, and a dresser with another tv above it for the bedroom. Its channel selection was different than that of the other tv, but I only used it once for about 10 minutes. The bed itself was very comfortable, but I didn’t like the pillows. They were smaller than normal and hard and rubbery. There was huge walk in closet also with luggage racks and a much appreciated safe. There was a separate small room with toilet and then a larger room with sink and garden tub. It had a rain shower head also, but there wasn’t too much pressure. I had brought liquid bath soap but never took the luxury bath I had desired because I was just too tired to do it and spent my waking hours enjoying Vegas. I didn’t try the restaurant or the store so I can’t comment. Except for the check in and the annoying phone call from the time share person, it was a great stay despite the heat. I was offered the chance to use my $20 free gift towards a show even though I opted out of the sales pitch but didn’t. I am not sure if I would return to Vegas during the hottest season, but I would stay here if the rate was good. I paid $85 the first night and $104 the last two nights plus tax. I received my expected Priority Club points and was not charged any unexpected charges such as resort or cleaning fees. When I called the night I was booking my reservations on line, I was told that I would receive an upgrade as well as early check in and late check out, most likely, but I didn’t need either of those and had to make a scene for my upgrade so they need some consistent training and policy. They also provided a great map of Vegas and have many activities on property, if that is in your plans. To repeat from earlier, the SHUTTLE SERVICE is FANTASTIC!!! They have a great location here which will even be better once the new shopping area is built between Koval and the strip. I would avoid Buildings #1 and #2, especially the rooms facing Koval, as this is a busy area with traffic and entry noise. The area is much better and safer looking than it was just a few years ago. There is a new parking lot where ugly, barren land was just a year or so ago. The only eyesore remaining is a slum looking apartment complex called the French Villas, I think? Now that the economy seems to be taking off, this property should be more and more appealing, especially if the building and amenities are well maintained as they appeared to be currently, but I did not visit any area of the property except that near the front. Unless I wanted to stay on the strip, this would be my first choice for the value, amenities, and tranquility.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Buildings 1 or 2 (and definitely not on Koval side of either)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BerlinG-ParisF
Thank you for making the time from your busy schedule to share your vacation experience with us. We appreciate your feedback, as well as your candid remarks and look forward to your return stay.

We do value your patronage.

a
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Yesterday afternoon we arrived at the Holiday Inn Vacation Club. It is in Koval Lane ( only here could a lane be 6 lanes of traffic wide). This resort is set on 19.5 acres and is just behind Harrahs which is the place we stayed last time. Harrahs is right on The Strip (Las Vegas Boulevard).
The bellman said there was a good Italian restaurant in the street behind us so (foolishly) we decided to walk. City blocks here are very, very large. On the way we abandoned our interest in Italian stopped for dinner at a Mexican Restaurant. The Italian Restaurant turned out to be just behind our hotel but a 1.6mile walk away.

The one bedroom unit we are staying in here is huge by any standard, starting with a bathroom larger than most living rooms. We have two 50 inch flat panel televisions if we want to see what's happening in the outside world.

Today's plan was to sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast then wait around for one of our two large ports to be delivered. United Airlines left one behind in San Francisco. The port turned up this morning.

We caught the shuttle around to The Strip. The Venetian is just a half block away but it wise to catch a shuttle or taxi here. Here are a few photos to show what the Hotel Casinos are like. Some of them have in excess of 6 000 rooms and are really like underground cities with all services available.

Room Tip: all rooms are good as you can call reception for a pick up by golf cart.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kangatraveller_12
Lugo A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
We are glad that you like the size of our units and the great location next to the strip. Our guests always enjoy the comforts of home in their units, which include fireplace, patios and full size kitchens.

Hope you will visit us again.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 18, 2013

A short walk to the strip. Several swimming pools on the property. The rooms were very large and clean with full kitchens. Shuttle service to and from the strip, the staff was incredibly fun and outgoing. We've already booked another trip with the same group of friends for this coming fall to the same hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank AmieJenni4
Thank you for your very kind words.

We are glad you enjoyed our resort facilities and found our staff to be pleasant and accommodating We are excited that you already booked your return stay and look forward to your return.

We also think you are a wonderful!

Tucson
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We booked this to join other family members staying at the property. The rooms were very nice. Having never stayed at a "vacation club" property. All the amenities of a hotel room, except one. In order to log into the internet, you need to call and write down an assigned code number. You are instructed to have a pen and paper. It was at that moment that I discovered that no such items are available. (There are sewing kits, multiple TVs, a full kitchen, shampoo bottles, a suitcase rack, sheets, pillows, etc. etc. etc.) Staff informed me that the owners refuse to provide pen and paper. (If you are cutting down operational costs, I fail to see how paper and pen make a big difference.) Anyhow, if you need the free internet, bring your own pen and paper.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room near Koval Road, so I have heard. Watch out for time share deals. Fami...
1 Thank HornsAndTail
Thank you for your nice feedback.

We are glad you enjoyed the resort stay and found it very conveniently located next to the Strip. Timeshare amenity standards differ from hotels and while we do not provide the pen & paper, we do provide different amenities that our owners and guests find more useful, such as a soap for your washer (clothes) and dishwasher, coffee and cream, tea and lemonade, dish washing soap, paper towel, soap, shampoo, slippers, sewing kits and much more on our starter kit.

We also provide complimentary WiFi in all rooms and common areas, as well as complimentary transportation to the Strip hotels and Casinos, downtown Las Vegas and the Outlet Mall. It is all a matter of what the owners need and use the most.

Again, thanks for your feedback, we look forward to your return stay!

Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My family and I are on a cross country adventure and this hotel gave the best fun and relaxing time. The staff is very helpful and friendly, I thank the management for a great job.
My family was so pleased that we are coming back to this location.

2 Thank Frank C
Thank you so much for your very nice comments on our resort facilities and our staff.

We look forward to your return stay!