“Okay but don't count on food”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort
Ranked #38 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
North Dakota
“Okay but don't count on food”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I was traveling with my mother and 16 year old daughter and as other reviews stated it is a bit noisy on bottom floors. Walls are very thin!
The restaurant was a joke! Talk about horrible service. We ate there twice to give them the benefit of doubt! We were disappointed both times!! They were "out" of a lot of things and only allowed one thing in omelet or sandwich and then very little at that! If you have no car there is nothing near to get groceries and they absolutely do not shuttle anywhere except routes set up!!!!

If you go good luck and happy travels

2 Thank redbabe
Lugo A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. Your feedback on the restaurant was shared with our F&B manager to ensure proper follow up.

We do value your patronage.

A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Murphy, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I stayed at this property for 7 days/6 nights. The size of the condo (2/beds and 2/baths) was adequate for our needs. The bedrooms were spacious and the kitchen was sufficient and allowed us to prepare and eat our breakfast and lunch meals to save some money and avoid having to eat out for every meal. A full-size washer and dryer were also included within the condo, which allowed us to keep up with our laundry during the stay. The furniture was dated but not worn out, although on the fringe of needing an upgrade. The carpet wasn’t very clean if walking around barefooted, so we kept our shoes on most of the time. In fact, our feet would become dirty just from the carpet in the condo and was evident each time we took our showers. The condo was supposed to be a non-smoking room but the smoke smell hit us in the face each time we entered. I contacted the front desk several times to request housekeeping to deodorize the condo but each call resulted in the same outcome, nothing was done. If you decide to stay at this property and don’t mind climbing stairs, I would recommend staying on the third floor because you will hear the tenants above you walking around. Also, be aware of the cancellation policy before confirming your stay. If you cancel your reservations any time before your stay, the entire amount of your stay will be forfeited. Also, this is a time-share property and you will be contacted (our experience several times, even after saying that we were not interested) by their sales department trying to sell you a time-share purchase.

The on-site restaurant, the Gold Rush Bar & Grill, is low quality pool-side bar disguised as a restaurant. Food selection was poor and overpriced but I guess that’s what you get for convenience and being in Vegas. We ate there once and didn’t think twice about going back.

As for the title of my review, “Does one bad apple spoil the whole bunch?” Well, that has to do with our experience with the “complimentary” shuttle bus offered by the property. Our group, consisting of 10 people, took the 12:15 PM shuttle from the property to the Venetian located on the strip. After spending entire day walking around, we headed back to the Venetian for the 10:25 PM pickup and return to the property. Well 10:25 PM and no shuttle bus so I called the property front desk and they informed me that the shuttle already picked up a group of 17 was headed back to the property. I requested that it return to pickup our group of 10 but after a brief hold, I was informed that the shuttle would not pick us up and that the next pick up time was 12:25 AM. At this point, the kids in the group were exhausted especially my 10 year daughter. I stated that 12:25 AM would not work and requested to speak with the manager. After being on hold for 5-10 minutes, the manager (Greg Knowles) got on the phone to inform me that the property does not operate a personal car service and that the next shuttle pickup time was 12:25 AM. I told him that there were 10 in our group and again requested the shuttle return to pick us up. He said since we were not there at 10:25 PM that he would not send the shuttle back to pick us up and that we should take a taxi instead if we didn’t want to wait for the next shuttle pickup. I guess we should have synchronized our watches with the shuttle bus driver because even though we were there to be picked up at 10:25 PM by our watches, the shuttle was nowhere to be seen. He picked up the 17 that were there early and left without waiting for additional passengers. Even if we had been there early, the shuttle bus only holds 20 people so who would have been left without a ride then? Since I was getting nowhere with Mr. Knowles, we all decided to pick ourselves up and walk back to the property. To top it all off, when we walked into the property we walked past the shuttle bus and property van sitting in front of the lobby with both drivers just standing around talking. Thanks for the great customer service, I’ll be sure to not recommend relying on the “complementary” property transportation. It's too bad that one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch because most of the other property personnel that we encountered were very pleasant and accommodating. Unfortunately my experience with Mr. Knowles was the last interaction I had with anyone from the property so that is the one that stuck with me.

Room Tip: Third floor location are quieter, cannot hear tenants above you walking around. Also, the pools (all...
3 Thank KLTSM
Thank you for making the time to share your vacation experience with us. Your feedback is most apreciated and your comments on the transportation manager has been shared with those concerned. The complimentary transportation services an established route that we must adhere to in order to properly service all of our owners and guests.

We apologize for any miscommunication.

Again, thank you for your candid remarks.They are very much appreciated.

Montrose, Colorado
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The location was ok, not too far from the strip, but not walkable either, you would have to walk beside main roads. They did have shuttles, but with limited services. There's a schedule to and from certain hotels in the strips and a couple of shopping areas. No nearby restaurants except for the one within the hotel, which had limited selection, price not too bad, and taste was just ok. My main complaint would be having a room with the road and construction as our view. At night, I could hear cars passing by and sirens! The room itself was nice. I appreciated having a living room, kitchen with dining area equipped with pots, pans, utensils, etc, and the bathroom tub was huge! I also liked that the hotel didn't have a casino, the lobby didn't have the hustle and bustle that the other hotels have. When I booked online I asked for 2 beds, but they only had 1 king bed in the bedroom and 1 sofa bed in the living room. To get 2 beds + the sofa bed, you would have to get the 2 bedroom villa. My advise: if this is your first time in Vegas, this is probably not the right hotel, I was with my family, if I had to do it again, I would have gone to Circus Circus instead.

Room Tip: Ask to be awayyyyyy from the road!
Anderson, Indiana
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here when it was record breaking heat. The rooms were fantastic. They stayed cool when it was 120 outside. They have 5 pools which were hot because of the heat. I would stay again. It was close to the strip and can walk to places.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank noraleeno
Lugo A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay in Las Vegas and that you were able to stay "cool" at our resorts with its wonderful five pools.

We look forward to your return stay!

Visalia, California
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The people at this vacation club called and invited us to stay at one of their locations for 3 free nights plus a tour of their facility (timeshare). We were obligated to attend the 2 hour talk/tour the day before checking out. We had a 2 bedroom villa because originally we were going to bring 2 other people. Glad we had the 2 bedroom/2 bath villa. After seeing the 1 bedroom it would have been cramped. I normally wipe down a hotel room when I arrive because I assume that the housekeeping staff doesn't always have time to clean everything that people touch such at door handles and light switches. Anyhow, I noticed that the bottom of my feet were very dirty and realized that the tile floors had a layer of dirt on them. Luckily they provide brooms/vacuums in each villa so I ended up vacuuming the whole place. Yes, I should have called the front desk and complained but if they couldn't clean the room right the first time why would they do it this time especially after I complained? The insulation was horrible. You have to keep the drapes closed during the day to keep the hot sun out of the room. We had thunder thighs upstairs. Could hear him stomping around when he was in the room. The air conditioning unit was loud and annoying. The hallway bathroom's fan came on when you turned on the light and it was like a 747 taking off. Very annoying. The talk/tour was for a "vacation club membership" aka timeshare. Very high pressure sales people. They were there to sell these property deeds. We thought it would be great for young families with children but not for us. Our children are grown and we don't swim in public pools. This location was too far off of the strip for my husband to walk. They offer a shuttle service but not at convenient times for us. We tried to catch it on the way back from the Venetian and the guys there knew nothing of the shuttle nor where to pick it up so we ended up taking cabs to and from the Strip. Since we were taking cabs I needed change one morning. There was one person at the front desk on the phone and other people waiting for him. I went into their restaurant to ask for change and the rude blonde woman working in there that morning told me to go to the front desk. I said I was there and it was too busy. She wouldn't give me change. So, I went downstairs to their little market and thank god for Edgar. What a nice man. He also said I should go to the front desk and when I explained the situation at the front desk and what had happened in the restaurant he willingly gave me change and apologized for the the inconvenience. Edgar and the two waitresses (Lourdes & Camilie) in the restaurant were the people who made the stay tolerable. When we arrived home we found hard water spots on the hood of our car from the morning sprinklers. We didn't think anything of it at the time but they don't just come off with a wash or wax job. If you choose to stay here watch out for the sprinklers. They'll leave water spots all over your car's hood. I will not stay at this place again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LLkendall
Thank you for making time to share your vacation experience. We always appreciate our guests feedback and use to ensure we continue to improve our services and facilities.

We do value your patronage.
Sicnerely,A
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed there for a week on 07/12-07/19 and I loved every minute.
It was a one bedroom and very quite. I had a pool I could see from my window, a gym, two televisions. A nice size bath.
It was really nice.
No one bothered me.
it was really hot outside and the A/C worked wonderfully.
There was enough towels.
I had a full size kitchen with everything.
A little slice of heaven.

Room Tip: I stayed in building 8 room 205- it was great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for your wonderful feedback! We are glad that you "love" our resort services and facilities, as well as our great location. We can only say we love you too and look forward to your return stay!!

Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The toilet backed up, When we walked to our room, as the shuttle wasn't anywhere around to bring us there, the walk was dirrty, the area is not groomed. There was trash, and debris in the hallway on the outside entry to our room. When I made my reservation, I carefully contacted the front desk. They told me it was a block off the strip. When we asked directions once we arrived to walk to the strip, they said it is too far, and to wait an hour for the shuttle. We waited an hour for the shuttle. I had called the concierge early to book seats to a show, and she gave me the price, and told me just do it when we come in. Once arrived, the show tickets were more than what she had said, and she wasn't working that day. The concierge who did help us, would not even check on the prices she quoted me, and just took our money as if it were going into her pocket. The good thing about this hotel, is it has fast internet. I would not stay there again. Oh, the spacious rooms they talk about, are very very small. no door to the bathroom. Poor lighting.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends