“Gross, dirty bathrooms”

Motel 6 Las Vegas - Tropicana
Ranked #174 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is the worst Motel 6 we have stayed at because it was so dirty. We frequently stay at Motel 6 when we travel because they are consistently clean, affordable, and have a great pet policy. The remodeled, retro decor did not make up for the unacceptable lack of cleanliness. Our room smelled bad as soon as we entered, the laminate flooring was sticky with grime, dark hairs were found on the towels, remnants of what appeared to be cockroach legs were scattered on bathroom floor, shower floor and baseboards were BLACK with accumulated filth from neglectful cleaning staff, light switches were black, and the cubbies where towels were stored were also thick with built up dirt and grime.

We asked the front desk for a different room hoping that ours was just a lousy exception, but when we checked out the suggested alternative, it was equally foul smelling and visibly dirty.

We went to the drug store to buy disinfectant wipes and flip flops to get through our weekend. Cleaning staff only made the beds but cleaned nothing each day. Waste baskets were even left full by cleaning staff the entire weekend we were there.

Regarding the location, it is not terribly far from the strip, but the safety of tourists is questionable at best. The clientele appeared to be coarse. Police were at the liquor store next door each night to diffuse conflict there. We made an attempt to walk to the strip the first night but as several men approached from different directions we immediately returned to our vehicle and drove to the strip.

Even if you are on a tight budget, if you care about safety and cleanliness, stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank HorseTrippin

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Whenever I'm in Las Vegas, I always stay at the Motel 6 on Tropicana. It's 2 blocks off the strip across from the MGM Grand, where I stayed once and hated. At the MGM Grand, you have to walk it seems like miles from the garage to the hotel and then miles within the hotel to your room. At Motel 6, you park by your room and are inside your room in moments. You can walk across the street and go into the MGM Grand as easily as any guest there. The Thomas and Mack Center is also walking distance (a good walk) which saves a bunch of time at NFR...when I'm home in my room before half the folks leave the parking lot. Also, there is an Einsteins bagels just east on Tropicana on the north side which is great for morning coffee and bagels...it's never crazy crowded. The property is one of the newer ones with a laminate floor, which I was hesitant about because of dirt. I have checked with a white towel every time I've been there when first went into the room and it's always been spotless. Downsides...the cable lineup is kinda lame and the water pressure is super crappy because they've gone overboard with the flow reduction devices.

Room Tip: the rooms facing the pool are nicest...if you face west, you can see the lights of the strip from th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank JohansenRJ
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The reasons I like this place :
* very good location ! (I like the big WalMart at 5 min near the airport)
* A nice, warm (quite rare in Vegas !), and quiet pool (I like the big billboard above it at the MGM)
* 2 floors buildings : it means an easy and quick access to your chamber
* a very good price for nice rooms, and the TV is not bad (HBO programs...)
I come back here every time ! :)

Room Tip: Top floors have less noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Quaint little rooms with a nice, clean feel. Pretty retro but my young daughter liked this place better than any we stayed in on our two week vacation. Really nice front desk, saved me a buck when she saw I had made an error in my Bookings Reservation. Housekeeping staff was very friendly. Short on amenities but this IS a bargain stop. As we usually have our own shampoo and conditioner anyway, this was not an issue. I really liked the vinyl planked floors for cleanliness, the only draw back was the people above us paced the floor all night and with the vinyl planking there
was no muffling of the sound, it transferred right through to our room. Guessing this isn't always a problem. All in all I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask about wifi. I carry my own broadband card but often the wifi is inadequate or costs$. This could...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter H
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I've stayed at this Hotel multiple times a year, for the last 8 years. It truly is a hidden Gem, Ridiculous Low rates, Great location right across from the MGM on the strip, Park at your door "for Vegas thats a big deal" and very very clean, Just renovated all rooms in the last 2 years. I can't say enough great things about this hotel..

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank seejake
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I have stayed here several times and I have always been pleased. Great location. The rooms my last stay had been upgraded and are pretty nice. Try and get a room towards the front or you could be in for a long walk.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2014

A good cheap place to stay that is in walking distance to MGC, NY NY etc. The rooms were clean and the staff friendly. The pool was used by a few in our group and enjoyed. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a cheap stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends