“Great hotel for a mini vacation!”

Stratosphere Hotel, Casino and Tower, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #113 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Overall, I was very pleased with our stay at the Stratosphere. My group and I recently stayed there for 4 nights and days.

Pros:

Staying at the Stratosphere allowed us free admission to the Sky Deck Tower. The view from the top was absolutely beautiful. Also, with our stay, we received buy one ride pass, get one free. There are 3 extreme rides on the top of the Stratosphere. My favorite part of the hotel was the controlled free fall from the Sky Deck. (855 ft.) Hotel guest receive $20 off. : )

Cons:

The Stratosphere is on the opposite side of the Strip. With that being said, we spend a lot of time walking or riding the bus to get down to the main attractions. Also, the pool was quite small and the water was extremely cold. This particular hotel isn't as fancy as the others, however it is a great deal for a mini vacation.

Recommendations:

Buy a 24 hour bus pass for The Deuce. ($8.00) - It operates 24 hrs/day and goes to the Strip and Fremont Street.

Take advantage of discounts from the hotel. (Drinks, Buffet, Ride package)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brianna_Gee

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed 5 nights, from Sunday evening until Friday morning, and paid a bargain price for the level of comfort. Not a gambling man and preferred informality of the adjacent Dennys restaurant for meals. However, I had a super comfortable room in the Stratosphere which exceeded my expectations. Only having a view of the car park from window was of little concern as was up and out each day, but not to appreciate "The Strip" (a day walking the 4 miles each way was enough for me). Las Vegas has many other good attractions to enjoy not too far distant which must be seen. Customer service throughout the Statosphere I found to be very good and efficient at all times and the cleanliness was similarly of high standard, despite some gamblers being less concious of this need. Parking was straight forward and easy, albeit it did take 15 minutes walk from my room each time, because of hotel size. Guests are given a plan of floors layout which is needed for first two days Bonus for guests of course is being able to go up the tower for free and I did this twice - once during day and once at night. This should not be missed although often short queue The Stratosphere is situated at one end of The Strip and the Mandalay Bay at other. Most of the prominent action is midway between the two (hotel prices much higher here) and so for many people the 2 miles distance poses a problem particularly in evening. Taxi is obvious answer, but short trip fares can work out costlier in Vegas, unless for group. The freeways around Vegas give easy access to the city, but you will need nerves of steel if driving on them during peak hours. Stratosphere Tower rises above everything else and is a good marker to find your return. Around Vegas, there are the Red Rock Canyon, the Valley of Fire, Lake Mead and Hoover Dam for which you need 3 days in total to visit. Each are most worthwhile. Better that any thought of seeing the Grand Canyon is left for another trip as this is too awe inspiring to just visit for a few hours, despite plenty of tour offers. So much to see there, that you will return disappointed with time permitted in a day.
So in summary, I can say for me the Stratosphere was an ideal stay for 5 nights, with my spending a month plus exploring Nevada & California, but its location will not be ideal for those just enjoying the Strip. I well recommend it otherwise.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank peter e
Reviewed April 26, 2014

The hotel was much further from the center of the strip than we thought. It can take up to 2-3 hours to simply talk down (all the way to the iconing sign of LV) and up (back to the stratosphere) the strip. I still can't believe it took that long, but it did (both days there!).
That being said, it was really affordable (booked through hotwire).
The rooms were kept tidy, but on day 2, we had half the towels we started with (the maid didn't renew them, but simply took them away). This is obviously not a problem, I'm simply giving a review ;)
The walls are paper thin! There was a fight next door the first night we were there. It lasted 30 minutes (at 4:30 a.m.)!! Ah well...
Roxy's, the restaurant in the lobby, wasn't very good. The casino floor itself was fun :)

Room Tip: The room with a view couldn't have been worth the money since the view from the observation deck...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mona S
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I booked this hotel after reading the room and hotel descriptions. I did not mind that it was a long walk to the main part of the strip. Checking in was a breeze. They allowed us to check in a bit early, though for a fee. :( I did mind that when entering the room it did not appear to be an updated one that I had spent extra money on. It was so-so at best. The view from the large window was nice if you could look past the rooftop of the lower building that was dirty and dingy. The bathroom area did not have a fan, which bothered us for a couple reasons. One being a mold issue, and two a smell issue. The bed was comfortable enough, but I was sleeping next to the love of my life that I hadn't seen in months. The curtains blocked out the daylight nicely and we didn't really hear any neighbors. The hall has dark and unattractive carpeting, but I did like how it opened up at elevator spots. We attempted to go on the rides, but they were closed and could not tell us when they would re-open. The hotel did nothing for the guests about this issue that I am aware of. We never made it to any of the pools as we both 'conveniently' forgot our suites, but I heard they looked nice. We enjoyed walking around the shops as they were not crowded and loud. I did find that the basic manicure I got was $80+ which I found to be an extreme rip off, especially since the lady was not great at small talk, info on hotel amenities, or fun things to do during that time. She also did a poor painting job and did not correct it when she messed it up. I attempted to get a comp but they were unwilling. Service personnel (ie: front desk, concierge, bell waiters, etc...) were always very pleasant and respectful and without seeming fake about it. We locked ourselves out of our room and called the front desk. Someone was there within a few minutes. Front desk was always helpful with answers to my questions about services and locations of things. Check out was a breeze as well. We ate and drank at a few of the hotel places, but after eating at Roxy's diner we both felt ill. Starbucks could maybe expand or have another location as their line always seemed super long. All in all, it was a decent trip, but if you are used to quality stays you will be disappointed here.

Room Tip: talk to a person to reserve a room an double check upon checking in that the room in updated. If yo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzyW2906
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

If you need a decent place to overnight while traveling through Las Vegas, you'll be hard-pressed to beat the value of the Stratosphere. There was a time (not too long ago), when Hotel Casinos offered inexpensive rooms to attract guests who then left their money on the gaming tables. But since Vegas has become much more than just a gambling town, and hospitality has shifted to cater to families and tourists more than players, finding an inexpensive place to stay has gotten much more difficult. Now you're lucky to find a room for less than $200 a night. That was unthinkable just 10 years ago.

The Stratosphere is nothing fancy. It's showing it's wear, just as Vegas has warped into an odd mix of Disney Theme Park and reconsidered development. Several projects along the Strip sit incomplete, some lots remain empty, and the crippled local economy is palpable. Clearly the luster and over-the-top spectacle of this city has fallen victim to the Great Recession. The old Las Vegas of the Rat Pack has long since died, and it's un-recognizable now.

I remember when the lights of all the Casinos lit up the Strip in a cohesive, coherent show - a Strip that one could walk along and feast upon. Now it's a shambles of tall buildings, boring modern facades, and failed construction sites. But if you need a place that's safe, decent, and easy on the wallet, then the Stratosphere will fit the bill. We paid $40 for a double room. (Note that prices fluctuate dramatically depending on what sort of traffic is expected on any given day. A room that costs $40 on Monday night can cost you $200 on a Friday.)

If you're not specifically here to gamble, then avoid the tables. The house still always wins, no matter what Casino you play in.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank tourpilot
Reviewed April 25, 2014

This tall pointy hotel has a bungee jump and fairground rides at its 109th floor, a shopping mall on the second floor, a swimming pool on the 8th floor and a casino on ground level. The bedrooms are spacious, but have no coffee machines or kettles. Within the hotel there are several shops, and you can eat and drink in various restaurants and bars - everything from MacDonalds to fine dining. The whole place is a shining example of Las Vegas style excess, but it is fun in a weird sort of way.

Room Tip: The higher up you go, the better the view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank YorkshireGypsygirl
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We've been at the Stratosphere Hotel during our trip through California and Nevada.
At the first sight, the hotel (located at the end of the strip) seems a bit away from the center of attention. During the first night, we've been sure, that this isn't a disadvantage at all. The nights in our room where calm, we didn't had any problems with noise/lights from the strip.
We've chosen a "new" room, and the room offered everything we needed. Even if the bathroom is a bit old fashioned to me.
As we had an issue with our air condition, within minutes, a facility manager came to our room and immediately fixed it. To be honest, I didn't expected much when me made the booking. But we would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone who doesn't wants to spend the big money to one of the famous resorts at the strip. Big plus is, that you can go as a stratosphere guest up the tower as often as you want for free.

Room Tip: the "new" rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple