“Very Nice Hotel and Casino”

Stratosphere Hotel, Casino and Tower, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #113 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed March 7, 2014

A nice hotel with a good view if you're room is located on the higher floors. We checked in very late in night or rather early hours into morning and the check-in experience I would say was rather poor for a hotel or casino that's expected to be 24/7. There was no staff at the check-in and the wait was quite long to get the key cards. The room was quite small definitely nowhere near spacious . However, its a good value for money considering the free passes you get for the tower and the rides.

Room Tip: Though this is a very nice hotel.. its located at far end of the strip and the Casino didn't see...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (12,573)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We have stayed all over Vegas. Having lived there for a long time we know the ends and outs. We have stayed here in the past and decided for our upcoming trip it was the perfect location for many off the off strip casinos we play. So I reserved the Oasis suite. Having read reviews of bad check in lost reservations etc I called and requested they charge my card now for the whole amount to ensure we got the suite we desired. I was told I had to fill out a form, photo copy my credit card front and back, and fax it back. I decided I didn't want to risk my credit card info floating around and would just wait. Next I called the concierge and requested champagne and flowers in our room upon arrival again wanting to give them money. He had really no clue on what I was wanting and transferred me to room service who hung up on me. At this point I am ready to cancel the whole reservation And book somewhere else.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Onaberry0122
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I'm currently staying in this hotel and have to say it stinks! I'm here on business so I'm at least glad I'm not spending my own money on this room. The only reason I can think of that previous reviews were really good is that those folks must have stayed in one of the more expensive and upscale rooms.

My co-worker and I chose this hotel based on price and availability since it's NASCAR week here in Vegas. The price seemed pretty good compared to most who jack the price up when the race is in town. Also, we had a hard time finding a place close to work that could accommodate us for a Friday checkout. After checking the reviews here at TripAdvisor, we decided to give it a shot. We also didn't have a lot of time to check the numerous places here because it was a relatively short notice trip with a date change thrown in there (outside of our control).

I am located in the North Tower in a "Deluxe" room. I'm not sure what they consider "Deluxe" but this isn't it. Let me start from the beginning...

Entering the Stratosphere to check in you have to weave your way through the cloud and stench of cigarette smoke just to get to the check in counter. I know...it's a casino...I get it, but why couldn't they put the desk in an area where you don't have to deal with the smoke?

I get to the room and notice it looks way outdated. I figured I could give it a chance but upon looking around, there was a nice coating of dust over just about everything (see my pictures). I'm not sure if the AC was blowing dust everywhere or if this room was used for "overflow" when it gets busy here (it is NASCAR week at the moment). After being here 2 nights so far, the dust is still there so the cleaning staff didn't do anything but make the bed, replace the towels, and replace the shampoo etc.

The bathroom is tiny and poorly lit (see pics). I do at least agree with a previous reviewer that the bed is pretty comfortable but outside of that, the room is lousy.

Sometimes it's just nice to kick back and watch some TV..but oh wait, there's about 10 channels (that's it), 2 are Spanish, and 1 is a channel to watch people bungee jump off the tower. So, just watching TV becomes a "why bother" situation.

Ok, so maybe I'll just surf the net...oh wait, they offer free WiFi but only at 1Mb speeds. If you want the faster internet, you can pay $9.99 for it. The speed of the free WiFi is worse than I get with my horrific DSL back home in WV! They make all this money from the casino and they can't offer a decent internet speed and better TV service? I know people come here to gamble and not hang out in the room, but if you DO want to hang out in the room you'll find yourself wanting to escape (maybe that's the idea...). I'm not a gambler and just needed a place to stay while in town for work so it's nice to relax in the evening and have some peace after a day of work.

We travelled here to LV for work quite often over the past year and usually stay at Springhill Suites on the North side but they didn't have rooms available this time around or that's where I would be and plan to be when I come out here next time. I guess I had higher expectations given prior reviews and the fact that I hear most casinos update their rooms quite a bit in order to stay competitive.

We haven't eaten here so I can't comment on food quality but reading the menus shows that it's quite expensive. I haven't looked at food costs of places like McDonald's upstairs in the mall area either.

Overall I would not stay here again or even consider it a viable option next time. It seems to me that we would have been better off with one of the major chain hotels. You would be better served by looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Orlan H
StratHotel, Front Office Manager at Stratosphere Hotel, Casino and Tower, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

It is our commitment at the Stratosphere to provide our guests with a comfortable stay, superior service and a fun atmosphere. Unfortunately we fell short of our commitment to you on your last visit. For that, I apologize.

Brandon Myers
Hotel Assistant Manager
Brandon.Myers@StratosphereHotel.com

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We always stay at the Stratosphere Hotel. We have been going there for 5 years. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The staff is super friendly. We like that it is off the strip. We feel that we are secure there. Security and police are around the casino all of the time.
The restaurants are great. Our favorite is Felinis. The buffet and Roxy's are good also. We found that the odds at Stratosphere are the best in Las Vegas for slots.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sal B
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Very nice clean rooms! Comfy beds! Easy quick check in. No coffee machine in room , but Starbucks in the hotel. Nice relaxed atmosphere in the casino! View from the tower is fantastic! Would not recommend Roxys restaurant to eat, the food was awful! Really a great place to stay for cleanliness and value!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Marie G
StratHotel, Front Office Manager at Stratosphere Hotel, Casino and Tower, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Thank you for your comments about the Stratosphere. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will take all your concerns and comments into consideration for future improvements to our property.

Thank you for choosing the Stratosphere and we hope to see you again!

Candace Hughes
Assistant Front Office Manager
Candace.Hughes@StratosphereHotel.com

Reviewed March 4, 2014

This huge hotel has probably everything, but that is also all it has got. I found it completely uncharming and staying there gave me a stressfull feeling and experience even though the rooms were OK and clean, the staff quite friendly and the mountain view was really pretty. Still I felt like I stayed in a kind of crowded hotel-factory. I do not like Casinos, but in this city you find Casinos in every hotel or motel I think, so it is hard to judge the Stratosphere hotel, Casino and Tower from that.
In USA you are in many states not allowed to smoke in public places, but there is an exception in Nevada and that is in the Casinos !!! The Stratosphere Hotel's reception area , the concierge and entrances to parking house and taxis are all located at the groundfloor with the Casino part in the middle. The quality of the air at the ground floor was not the best, and the scent of old cigarette smoke was easily detected entering the hotel. Visiting quite a few other hotels in Las Vegas we had exactly the same experience at those places too I have to add ........
We paid 15 dollars extra to be upgraded to have a newly redecorated room at 15.th floor which was OK . Parking was free in a parking house next to the hotel, and as hotel guest we also were allowed to visit the Tower top deck without having to pay an extra fee. The view from the Stratosphere Tower was breathtaking. We also tried several of the restaurants in the hotel and the dinner buffet was a nice experience.
If ever I go back to this area I think I will find a small hotel in a small town nearby, like in Boulder or lake Mead. This hotel, probably like all the other hotels we saw in Las Vegas did not work very well for us. I am probably not a Las Vegas person.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed one week at the Stratosphere Hotel . When I had booked accommodation I was looking for a hotel that would be near or at the Strip and one that I could afford. The Stratosphere is exactly that. It is located a bit north of the Strip at walking distance (I made it several times to Bellagio on foot within 30-40 minutes). North of the hotel towards Downtown it is a bit seedy area better avoided at night. If you need public transport and are tired of walking the Deuce bus stops just outside the hotel . I used this bus many times because ok I like walking but I couldn't walk the entire Strip every day.
The room was located at the 17th floor and was a Tower Deluxe Room which meant unlimited access to the Stratosphere Tower. The view from the room was east of the Strip so nothing spectacular but I could see very far up to the mountains after the city ends. The room was spacious and cleaned every day. There were free toiletries in the bathroom renewed every day.
I tried one day the brunch buffet. It was ok but mediocre . I would recommend the buffet only if you are in a hurry and very hungry and need just something to eat.
To sum up if you want to stay at a decent hotel very near the Strip and don't want to spend a huge amount of money then the Stratosphere is a very good choice. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo