“Affordable Expectations”

Ranked #113 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Affordable Expectations”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

For a "newbie" to Las Vegas, I turned to other reviews on Tripadvisor to know what to expect for staying at the Stratosphere. We chose that location as the conference my husband was attending was located in the Tower. I saw the range of opinions and figured that I would see aspects of both the positive and negative reviews. That prediction came true, but my bottom line thought about this hotel: as long as you know what to expect, you will not be disappointed. Here are some general comments:

Location: Yes, it is at the far end of the Strip, so one must plan accordingly. While my husband was at the conference, I stayed in the hotel for the morning, not quite ready to venture out, but when I realized I would have better lunch options, I walked about 30 minutes to the Fashion Show, where I enjoyed a wonderful turkey sandwich at the Mustard Cafe. I crossed the street and walked through the Palazzo and the Wynn just to see other resort/casinos, and then walked back. I felt quite safe. For the weekend, we did use the bus to reach the Aria, where we saw Zarkana; however, it did take awhile to board a bus as it was quite full on its way south. However, on the second bus we were able to sit down though not together. However, a nice young man from Chile provided for good conversation as the bus stopped and started its way.

Room: A number of reviews include the question about coffee makers. Our room did not have a coffee maker, but not a big deal for us. The room was clean, the beds comfortable. My only complaint: a remote that could have used some cleaning. There was typically hotel noise (my husband heard the more interesting sounds the first night as I slept pretty soundly), but after hours of walking around a very noisy city (both inside and outside), the room itself was quiet. Surprisingly, we never turned on the A/C.

Food: We did eat twice and Rocky's Diner, and enjoyed both our meals (one eaten at 1:30 in the morning as we had arrived late from our plane trip). There's a Starbucks in the lobby. For dinner the first night, we ate at El Segundo de Sol, which was at the Fashion Show--incredible salsa but the music was a bit loud.

Would I choose the Strat again? Maybe, but it would be nice if I ever were to return to Vegas to be "closer" to the center area of the Strip. But for this weekend, it worked just fine.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east were nice to see the sunrise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,961)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We went to Las Vegas not long ago and stayed at the Stratosphere hotel. I was very impressed with the service, food and the quality. We had free laundry. Very nice swimming pool and spa. The kids loved the pool. Good room service. Better than any other hotel in Las Vegas. I would difinately stay here again. It is at the end of the strip but still within walking distance to the strip. Close to Circus Circus which was good for the kids to go to. The shows were nicer for kids there. Stratosphere is well worth the money and more. The rides at the top are wonderfull for the kids and adults. Enjoyed them as well.

Room Tip: We had the rooms in the south tower on 33rd floor which were very nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Wasn't expecting much from the Stratosphere, as it was considerably cheaper than other hotels in the Las Vegas area, and didn't get much. Wholly average hotel, the rooms were extremely basic and severely need to be updated and decorated. Shower was poor and looked to be dirty. Pool area was like a scene from Jersey Shore and drinks were overpriced along with rude staff. They ran out of sunbeds every day which ruined the experience. Wouldn't stay here again, well worth paying a bit more for a better experience and a bit more comfort.

Room Tip: Try and book one of the renovated suites available
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Booked a room here as a last minute decision and was not disappointed. We had a 2 queen bedroom with comfy beds and plenty of towels and amenities. Check in was fast. We were thrilled that since we were guests of the hotel we had unlimited access to the Tower (normaly $18 per person just to go up, not including rides, etc). The views were phenomenal and the elevator operators were very informative. Would more than likely stay again especially for the tower perk.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Denise B
StratHotel, Front Office Manager at Stratosphere Hotel, Casino and Tower, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you for mentioning some of the many benefits of staying at the Stratosphere Hotel. We appreciate the comments. See you next time!

Candace Hughes
Candace.Hughes@StratosphereHotel.com
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This hotel has completed nice renovation but the property shows its age. The location is not convenient to any restaurants (other than Stratosphere restaurants). Nice view from level 107 bar. Great budget stay but I will search for something else next time.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Long Beach, California
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The check in was fast. We got to the hotel at 1:45 so we had to pay an additional 10 dollars for the early check in fee. Our 2 queen beds that my family got were very comfortable.the room was pretty clean. The buffet was good but it could have a lot better. Roxys diner food was delicious and the service there was very fast.. I didn't also didn't like the location. The tower was great. Overall it was a great stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mateo D
We are pleased that you enjoyed your night at the Stratosphere and hope you will visit again soon. Thank you for your comments.

Candace Hughes
Candace.Hughes@StratosphereHotel.com
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

First I would like to say, we're not Vegas people. We were in the midst of a road/train/fly trip across the USA and we needed to stop in Vegas for logistic reasons. We booked in early, and headed off for our helicopter trip to grand canyon which was great. the check in was fine.

positive things; very large room, bed comfy, clean, hotel had the glitz you expect from Vegas.

Hotel is in no mans land between old vegas and the strip, but that does not really matter, as everything is so close. The mono rail is a block away.

However the room was dreadful, blankets wafer thin, there is a forced air conditioner unit you cannot switch off, blowing constantly cold noisy air (see attached pic of 56 db). I sleep in PJs and was shivering (i'm from Scotland, I'm used to the cold).
You can add heat but that is an extra fan (see attached pic of 70 db), this is not themostatic, so even you put it on low, the room is boiling 20 mins later. Due to the uncontrollable fan it is freezing 5 mins after you switch the heater fan off. So not much fun whilst trying to sleep, even with ear plus in.
The room we had an adjoining door with a small gap between the door and floor, our neighbour left the TV on whilst he was out (ear plugs blocked that out), he returned at 0330, had a very loud phone call with his pal, then continued to listen/watch Music at high volume, occasionally vocalising some of the words.
I visited the front desk in my PJs at 0400, to ask them to have a word, I assume they did not as at 0700 as i gave up trying to sleep as he was still vocalising.
As we were checking out at 0800 (much earlier than planned), I've never been soo happy to get out of a hotel.
Hotels can do little about noise guests but freezing/boiling/deafening their guests is really a poor show.
We got back our resort and early check in fee, but not room fee.
I cannot recommend this hotel.
We did not use the casino, but having toured the strip there are fancier ones further down the strip.
I don't like to leave negative reviews but this destroyed the next day of my holiday as i'd not slept.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Drewglasgow74
StratHotel, Front Office Manager at Stratosphere Hotel, Casino and Tower, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while staying at the Stratosphere. We strive to ensure each guest is provided with excellent service and we apologize if that did not occur. The experience you encountered is not a normal experience for our guests. Thank you for both your feedback and an opportunity to improve.

Brandon Myers