Stratosphere Hotel, Casino and Tower, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #113 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This hotel is full of fun and could be all inclusive! The top of the hotel is full of adventure fun for the brave! There are plenty of places to eat and shop! The pool was about average! It was freezing cold, but with the 90 degree temperatures your body adjusted quickly! The staff was friendly and helpful! The draw back of this hotel is the distance to and from the monorail. The walk got to be a bit much by the third day, not to mention the area and people encountered along the walk made you alert at all times. The bus stop was just outside the hotel which was nice and made getting to and from Freemont easy! The hotel rooms themselves were ok, however the bathroom needs to be updated. The toilet flushed so hard it literally scared each user, there was clearly water damage to the wall, and some calking looked spotted. As well the tub was shallow, but high so tripping, falling, or stubbing toes happened repeatedly in the shower. This hotel was a fun, friendly experience, but was too far from the strip for us, as we were meeting friends and attending shows. We were exhausted from traveling back and forth, if we were to just stay in the hotel it would have been a different story!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Myksjenn
Write a ReviewReviews (12,571)

Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late and got to our room in the updated tower.. but it was very average and very poor lighting in the bathroom. I had paid for a view which I did not get. We asked to be upgraded to a suite, which I paid for. It was better but the room smelled so bad of cigarette smoke, that when we got home all of our clothes stunk horribly. Great suite but smelly... And they deodorized it daily for us. Affordable though. Make sure to get a three-day bus pass for $20..so you can go up and down the strip and to Freemont Street as much as possible because the walk to the main strip can be hard on the feet. The bar staff at McCalls inside the hotel were awesome and the staff was overall friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank rebajcn
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Very dusty room! Broken toilet seat wont stay up for the guys and toilet paper holder wont hold the toilet paper roll! Toilet paper was from the .99 cent store, Bathroom overall sucks....everytime someone in our room got into the shower we all stubbed our feet or knees due to how high it is, like you have to step u. 3 feet!!! Ridiculous! When you are taking a shower the water fluctuates burning hot and then cold throughout the entire shower...never again will we stay there!

Way too far from strip, but close to freamont area

Staff we encountered were pleasant. I even won $100 im our casino! Beds were comfy!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank monsterbean
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My family and I had been intrigued by this hotel for much time before, but had not stayed in it until now. It was a pleasant experience overall. The hotel starting from the parking garage actually feels nicer as one gets closer than it does when just seen from the strip. Parking is broad, accessible, and spatious. Then, there are so many ways to get to reception and rooms with many elevators, electronic stairs, regular stairs, etc. The hotel has a lively atmosphere all over, by the casino, the tower, the rooms, and the pool. Some amenities could have been better, such as the bed, seat and shower; but we loved the bath tub and the view from our room. The pool and jacuzzi outside were charming, too, and the guests were well behaved in general. I did notice that it does get noisy from the other rooms and aisles. Also, I feel that the quality of service should be examined. I wasn't very happy with the demeanor and disposition of some of the workers such as housekeeping personnel, security, and especially other patrons who aren't directly connected to the hotel but are still occupying space with their product such as the timeshare business.

Room Tip: Newest rooms are better.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cuentacuent0s
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I booked my latest trip May 5th through 10th on Orbitz. It was a solo business trip and I was showing four inventions at The National Hardware Show. The prices concerning the flights seemed reasonable and I added accommodations at The Stratosphere and a sub compact car from Dollar Rental.

My preference would have been to leave Austin later in the day but I have "stung" by short turnarounds so left early for Las Vegas. The flights there were uneventful and both flights were on American Airlines. The first arrival and departure were in Los Angeles and I was happy to find out that they were in the same terminal a couple gates apart.

I made it to Las Vegas and was instantly disappointed to find out that the "in terminal" car rental is really about eight minutes away by shuttle. I had recently returned from a business trip to Baltimore (BWI) where I had been similarly misinformed about "in terminal" rental cars. My feeling is that they don't tell you because they don't want you to know that you lose at least twenty minutes both ways. Another aggravation was that I waited in line for my Dollar rental car for almost an hour - more time than it took to fly from LAX to Las Vegas. After cooling my heels I finally reached the front of the queue and the car rental person informed me that the additional Orbitz car insurance that I had purchased on line was inadequate - she said it was basically worthless. This seemed strange as Orbitz had been the company that had "pushed" me towards Dollar rental on the internet. She continued to coerce me into adding the Dollar insurance until I finally said NO. To me this was a big black eye for Orbitz and Dollar. Another note on Orbitz - I have used them over the years on a fairly regular basis. As soon as I booked my flight, accommodations, and car on line I received multiple, daily, unending, unrelenting offers from Orbitz to book accommodations and car rental for the trip which I had already done. I emailed Orbitz customer service to inform them of the situation with their protocol and they kept sending me emails that did not comprehend the problem - so I gave up.

My hotel was The Stratosphere and my trusty GPS got me there quickly and with no problems. Again an interminable wait to check in - over three quarters of an hour standing in line for the front desk.

The room was nice and clean and was what should be expected for a decent hotel. I stayed in 7051 which was accessed by the "special" elevators. I was told that the room was recently upgraded and it was nice. I do pushups on the floor and the worst thing I noticed was that the corners where the furniture met the carpet had dirt that was not vacuumed - a common occurrence where maids do not use a nozzle and expect the carpet attachment to clean up close to furniture. The toilet was a Gerber power flush model and occasionally the handle had to be jiggled to stop it from running. I called the front desk for a couple issues and about half the time they were very slow (over ten minutes) to pick up. The room had a view of the parking garage and that was fine because it was quiet.

I went to the top of the tower and the view was great. There are some rides where you can dangle over the edge, drop to the ground, & etc. It was worth the wait to see the view.

I ate most of my meals in the hotel and the Roxy was good for an early breakfast - I found it too noisy and too bright - but when I sat further away from the ramp to the next level (deep in the restaurant) it was better for my sensibilities.

I had a couple meals at Curra's Grill and the food was good. The French onion soup was wonderful. It was a good escape from the hustle and bustle of the hotel / casino.

Until the very last day of my trip I did not know that there was a McDonalds on the second floor (R for retail on the elevator control) and made the mistake of driving to the nearest McDonalds for breakfast one of the days of the trade show where there were street people sitting around the entrance begging for handouts - not what I expected or wanted.

I attended The Inventor's Showcase at The National Hardware Show which was just down the road from The Stratosphere - about a five minute drive and very convenient for the Convention Center. The show was huge and I met a lot of nice people there and had a great time exhibiting my inventions. www.smartplumbingideas.com I specifically went to this show in hopes that one of the hotel owners would see my MrFixture water conserving invention.

While in Las Vegas I visited Hoover Dam - it was very worthwhile - about a thirty minute drive North from the hotel. There is a new bridge just downriver from the Dam that was completed in 2012 that has an Interstate Highway as well as a pedestrian lane with a fantastic view of the Dam. I also visited Red Rock Canyon - another very worthwhile destination - about a twenty minute drive West from the hotel. The Canyon has a thirteen mile long paved loop that takes about thirty five minute to drive around and cost $7 to enter. Day hiking and rock climbing is allowed and if I had had the time and had been dressed appropriately I would have certainly gone for a stroll. The loop is also opened to bicycles but not dogs. Both attractions are very much worth visiting if you go to Las Vegas. Red Rock Canyon seemed unearthly and very cartoonish - I can't describe it adequately other than it is a "must see."

Checking out of the hotel was fast after I found the "quick check out" fellow who did nothing to call attention to himself over in the corner. Several of us were in line with the new arrivals and it would have taken an hour for us to get through the line. Fortunately a person who had been there before told us about the expedited check out.

At Dollar I had selected a Ford Focus hatchback. It worked great for carrying my luggage and picking up display material at Home Depot. It handled well and got good gas mileage. When I dropped it off I was about to tell the fellow that they should look at servicing the car when he volunteered, "it sometimes stalls when taking off in first gear." I asked him why they hadn't told me when I drove off. He said, "all of that model car do" and smiled.

My flights home were from Las Vegas to Houston Intercontinental and then to Austin on United Airlines. The first flight was delayed leaving Las Vegas by over an hour and, in Houston, I missed my connecting flight to Austin. A male gate agent literally shut the door to the jet way right in my face after I had high tailed it all the way. I was about three feet away from him and showing my boarding pass when he shut the door to the gate. I would have understood if the plane had left soon after but it remained at the gate for a while. The lady gate agent who was working the flight said she was tired and was ready to go home, refused to help me and another customer who showed up right after me, and told she us to go to Customer Relations. We stopped at another gate on the way to Customer Relations and that agent was ready to go home and also sent us onto Customer Service. Both United gate agents were very unhelpful and could have easily rebooked us on the next flight to Austin in a matter of minutes. Customer Relations had a long line of about sixty people waiting and was understaffed with only two agents. It would have taken me a couple hours of waiting before I even got to the front of the queue which meant I would miss the next flight anyway. I was fortunate to give up on the line at Customer Relations and walk two gates further where a United gate agent working on the Rio flight booked me on the next plane to my final destination, Austin. I wish I remembered his name (I think it was Perry) because if it had not been for him I would never consider flying United Airlines again. He was very helpful and if someone from United reads this post I hope they hunt him down and thank him for me.

I flew into Austin and my bags had come by the previous flight.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2013

First time at this hotel, has everything you want without having to go anywhere else. Love the pool on the 8th floor. The casino is wonderful, lots of machines. The buffet is to die for. :) The shops in the tower are a must see.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mechelle A
Reviewed May 13, 2013

At one end of the Las Vegas strip you'll find a tower and on top of that tower you'l experience heart stopping rides. But that's not all. The restaurants provide a variety of good food, nothing special but fair prices. And I found myself winning more at the slots. The staff is friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends