“A Nice distance from the crowd of the strip”

Stratosphere Hotel, Casino and Tower
Ranked #113 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Dallas, Texas
“A Nice distance from the crowd of the strip”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

At first I thought that the location was too far from all the action of the strip but by the 2nd night I began to appreciate the distance from the crowd. We booked through an online third party but paid extra for the upgrade through the hotel and was rewarded a 24th floor room in the new building with an incredible view of the strip. There is a $20 resort fee charge that includes access to the tower and the pool. A line and a wait at check in but the front desk attendant was friendly, congenial and efficient. The room was clean, bright, updated, modern, bright colors, big windows. The TV was a large flat screen but without HD reception which makes the point of having an HD TV moot. The casino was not was crowded and felt local and less touristy. On one of the days of our stay, we never left the hotel and had a rest from the traffic, pedestrians and crowds - it’s like Christmas season at the busiest shopping mall in town - and ate and played on site visiting their observation deck, the rides on the deck, the shopping mall on the 2nd level and the pool. Overall a nice stay and we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Call ahead and book the upgrade through the hotel. It is still cheaper than most rooms on the strip...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,961)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

A big thank you to the Stratosphere for making my Las Vegas vacation a good one. My room was very clean and I could not fault any of the service that I received. I had an issue with the safe in my room and maintenance were out in about 10 minutes. The casino floor was clean like in all of the other casinos and I felt safe. My room looked like the one off the website. A big thank you again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I got: A nice room at a more than fair price. Tower access at no charge. Nice little shop area.
The room was very clean. Aside from the bathroom sink area needing fresh caulk (it was begining to peel away in spots) Very clean.
Booked a strip view for a few extra bucks. Not much of a view (unless you bring Bino's), so go with a room other than strip view.
Easy free parking. Dont plan on walking to the main strip from here though

Room Tip: Rent a car to save Taxi costs, and your legs. Its cheaper and will allow you to park free most place...
BC, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at the Stratosphere for a weekend in April 2013. We got a deal on wotif which meant that we ended up in the old unrenovated part of the hotel. The toilet flushing was a bit scary and the rooms were very old and dingy, cleaning was adequate though. We ate at the buffet which had a good selection but both my husband and I didn't feel very good afterwards. We also ate at the steak restaurant and it was disappointing. We did enjoy sitting by the pool (although nothing special) and it was relatively close to the Premium North outlet mall but really far from everything else on the strip. You do get to go up to the top of the tower for free which was nice. Probably wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: the rooms which haven't been renovated are not very nice

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Reviewed April 28, 2013

*We had a select room on the 19th floor. The people, the view and the shopping were nice. We didn't have occasion to eat at the hotel, but the Denny's next door was fabulous! The location was decent for what we wanted to do (go out of town), however, it is a long way from the heart of the strip! The option to self park was great for those times that we weren't staying long and wanted to leave quickly and we were not required to wait for the valet.
*In all my years of staying in hotels, these were, by far, the worst pillows EVER! I called for new pillows. The desk informed me that the only NEW pillows would have to come from the factory!!?? They did bring different pillows which were slightly better. Usually, I don't comment on the toilet paper, but this was so terrible it is worth mentioning. I think their goal was to save money by using the roughest, thinnest paper available.
*No in-room coffee makers, no free internet and the resort fee really added to the expensive of our stay. The radio/alarm had a tiny little speaker and did not sound good at all.
*When we signed up for the Player's Club, we were rewarded with a 25% off price of the buffet coupon. They also said they were able to offer us free tickets for the show, "Pin-Up". We had a free night so accepted tickets for the 10:30 p.m. show. I'll just say I'm glad it was free!
*On the plus side, the elevators were quick!

1 Thank Beverly S
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in April. We booked a Select Room (newly refurbished and it did feel like it).

There is plenty of free car parking in the covered parking area, access to the hotel reception desk (via the casino) can be made on floor 3 - via the bridge - this is signed when accessing the lifts.

You have to walk all the way through the casino to get to the check in desk. The staff there are efficient but a bit robotic, maybe because they say the same things over and over again but it's not the most welcoming. We booked our room through Expedia which advertised "Free unlimited access to the Stratosphere Tower" - it is partly true you do get unlimited access to the observation deck as a hotel guest but really you are paying for it. This is one of the inclusions within the nightly resort fee. I did query the "free" thing with the receptionist and she said I need to take it up with Expedia - I also asked if I could swap the resort fee to have internet access and the answer was a firm "No"! So if you want internet access you have to make an additional payment for it.

Our room was spacious, very clean and had an in room safe which was useful - the safe isn't that wide but we could fit in our laptop (standing on its side), cameras etc. It was relatively quiet but you could hear a bit of noise from the neighbours (having a domestic and then making up at 4am - thanks!) and the hallway - but that was the same in the first hotel we stayed in so it must be common in Vegas.

There is no security on the lifts to the hotel rooms and you don't need to insert a card to gain entry, therefore anyone in the casino can access the hotel.

The hotel is located on the strip but is a fair distance from places such as Caesars Palace, Bellagio, Bally's etc - It is walkable but I would say you would need a car, especially after dark - all hotels / casinos offer free parking so you don't need to worry about costs for parking. To be honest I wouldn't have fancied walking from the central strip area to the Stratosphere after dark, the area surrounding this hotel seemed a bit uncared for and there were a few unsavoury people hanging around.

We did go up the tower to the observation deck - including the outside deck where you can access the thrill seekers rides - they did look a tad adrenaline pumping! We also saw some people sky jump down the side of the tower and we also saw someone chicken out.

All in all our stay was OK, pretty good value for money but to be honest I would have rather stayed a little more central to the strip so we didn't have to drive there each evening. Also, I don't think I would pay the $18 access fee for the Stratosphere tower, if you have been to observations decks before you will know what to expect you don't really get a good view of the strip as the buildings you would want to see are obscured by others.

Having stayed once, I don't think I would stay here again.

1 Thank y0dagreen
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here because it was the cheapest place on the strip at the time we book. (We thought, more later.) It was fine, the rooms were okay and the buffet was good. I will say, of the cheap places, it had great air circulation: No matter how many people were smoking, the casino never clouded up. I was upset at the hidden fees when we showed up: $15 a day "resort fee"? $12 per day, per device for internet? Most casinos we looked at advertised their fees. Even after paying the fees, I can't find them. For the extra cost we could have stayed at the Aria in a suite, with internet included! I slept well, it was clean, but I won't stay again. (FYI: I gambled several thousand dollars over around 50 hours ... they didn't even comp me a breakfast, not a thing.)

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends