“Overall Great Stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Laguna Beach, California
“Overall Great Stay!”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

The Westin was a welcome relief in the desert! The property is about 1/2 mile east of the strip, so it was quiet, but still close to it all if you wanted to be. The hotel is rather small, but does the job with a casino, fitness center and pool area.

The rooms are ok... efficient and clean, but seem a bit dated. The TV was one of the old tube style TVs. But, it was nice to have coffee and bottled water in the room along with the wonderful scented toiletries. Beds were comfy as usual. Noticeable wear and tear on carpet and filthy behind the dresser (dropped something and left it there because I was appalled at the dirt build up).

The "resort fee" is $9.50 per day, and they do not tell you about it at check in. I knew about it ahead of time, but didn't appreciate the fact that it went unmentioned at check in. Check in was easy and managed to get in a couple hours early. I complained about the lack of newspaper delivery one morning as the "resort fee" includes "daily" newspaper delivery. Well, I guess daily does not mean Saturday or Sunday at the Westin.. That said, I made them remove the resort fee as that is one of the touted inclusions.

The pool area was nice with cushioned wood chaise lounges, an elevated sun deck, umbrellas, partially shaded lounge area and shaded spa. Again, small but efficient and clean, though with the wind, one corner of the pool managed to be the collecting area for all debris (leaves, sunscreen film, etc..)

Did not eat at the property, however, the casino staff was very friendly in the bar area - great drinks and very engaging in conversation, which is nice when gambling. The fitness center was nice (as with most Westin properties) and was not very crowded.

I'd stay here again and would consider it a solid 3 1/2 star, no 4 as some websites claim..

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank JK949

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 9, 2010

This was my first time in Vegas so when I booked through Priceline and I got The Westin I was pretty excited, The Westin is a pretty nice hotel to stay in. I think if you have been to Vegas a couple of times then this place would be a nice change just to relax and hang out. Not good for a first time visitor. I was expecting all this grandeur and awesome place and it was just average. I was a bit disappointed when we walked in to the room but it was nice and clean, the bed was comfy, and the view wasn't bad. It just seems a little out dated. We had no problems with check in. The only thing I really didn't like was that I had already paid my room and they took a $50 deposit. I don't think I would stay at this particular Westin again. In doing a little more research I could have gotten a room at Paris for the same amount I paid here. A nice thing about this place is that its off the strip so it's not super crowded, Bed is awesome, double head shower, I requested a robe and they brought it to me right away, and there is a starbucks, always a plus! I will come back to Vegas but won't stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed August 5, 2010

The Westin takes pets, and even provides a little pet-area for them. My dog loved strutting through the lobby. The casino attached to the hotel (which used to be the old Metro, so I'm told) is small and tends to be quiet most of the time--which is something of a nice respite after spending hours in one of the bigger, noisier casinos. They also have Full Pay video poker machines, which was a nice surprise--you can't get that at Caesar's, btw. It's also an easy walk from Bally's, Bill's, The Flamingo, Caesar's Palace, The Imperial Palace & Bellagio, although that's a relative statement, since it was still 100 degrees at 10pm when we were there. The spa on the 2nd floor did wonder for my partner's back, too. (I actually won $150 on the poker machines here, btw.)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Don't get excited. The place is ok. Compared to other Starwood properties you will likely be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Lombard, IL
Reviewed July 20, 2010

My husband and I were staying at a hotel near the Westin and were thinking of switching over to this Westin for the weekend. After a LONG wait to see a room, we were taken up by a very friendly young desk manager who escorted us to one of their "standard rooms". After seeing the beautiful lobby, I was surprised to see how dirty and old the elevator was. When walking down the hallway to the room, we noticed how stained the green carpeting was all along the corridor. We arrived at the room where he unlocked the door and we were shown into a fairly small room with the same color carpeting as the hallway. What caught my eye right away was the heavily stained room carpet as well as a large water stain on one of the corner walls. The view was lovely, and I assume the bed "heavenly", but I would not be caught dead walking barefoot in this place. Shame on you Westin, have none of your quality control folks visited this place? And this room is shown to potential guests??? When inquiring about the rates the young man said that the normal rate was about 120.00 per night, but that there was a special going on currently for $89.00. There is NO WAY I would pay either rates for this room. One could find a much nicer, cleaner room at this price point. Buyer beware of this Westin location!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TherealMrsSmith
Atlantic Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2010

My husband, 17 year old daughter, and I stayed here after booking on Priceline. It met our requirements - walking distance to the strip but far away enough from the noise to get a good night's sleep. Small casino in the hotel, reasonably sized rooms - no problem securing a room with two queens. Loved the double headed shower - beds were extremely comfortable. This hotel is near the corner of Flamingo and Las Vegas Blvd - the big resorts nearby are Bally's, Bellagio, Cesar's Palace, and Paris. We had dinner at BOA in the Cesar's Palace shopping arena and absolutely loved it. Breakfast buffet at the Paris waas good, but I don't think we'll wait in line for 90 minutes there again. Check in and check out at the Westin was very easy, room was clean. Internet at $16.99 per night was too high, in our opinion. Free parking next to the hotel entrance was much appreciated.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Earth
Reviewed July 15, 2010

The front desk guy wouldn't let me check in 2 hours early unless I joined the Preferred Guest club. I had traveled all day and was sweating like a pig, so I gave in and joined. The room itself was clean but very basic. It was also more than one block from the strip...more like 4 blocks, which makes a big difference when it is 112 degrees in July. The casino wasn't too smokey, which was great. The pool was very small. My floor was very quiet, but I heard other attendees at my conference complain about barking dogs (it is a pet-friendly hotel). The wireless internet is 12.95 per day - what a joke.

However, there is one lonely computer located to the right of the front desk that guests can use to print boarding passes for free, which was great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business