“Westin Casuarina”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Westin Casuarina”
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Rooms are nice. Gotta love the Heavenly Beds. Desk was nice for working while in the hotel.

Stayed September 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
houston texas
Reviewed January 31, 2010

My husband ,sister,brother in law and my self spent 3 wonderful days at this delightful hotel,which included New Years Eve. It was our first trip to Las Vegas in almost 30 years.
I cant tell you what a delightful hotel this is. From the front desk as we checked in to the concierge to the staff all we saw were smile and helpful people.the room was spectacular.the bed devine clean and restful.the hotel restaurant was incredible.My sisters room had a problem with the shower and someone was up to solve it in minutes.
the bar ,the casino are small, intimate and a pleasure to come back to after all the commotion in the bigger hotels.
If every hotel we go to could have all the pluses that we experienced in this hotel no one would ever complain about their accommodations again.besides its kid and pet friendly,even though we had neither you would never know they were there.
I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank texannedoll
Reviewed January 30, 2010

If you are looking for a cool, chill place off of The Strip, but close enough, look no further than the W. Stayed there for a week in 2006. You get taken care of, if you play. For $89, I was upgraded to a suite. They also serve a complimentary breakfast in bed.

You are on Flamingo Road, so you have access for a $5 cab ride to the strip, or, if you head east on Flamingo, you can hit the Tuscany. Best Poker room in Vegas. No shills or yokles running game on you. Plus, you are right near Paradise Road, which has every restaurant that you can possibly think of.

The W. or the Tuscany. I recommend it to anyone who wants a mellow trip to Vegas.

Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
Portland
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Yes as a Platinum SPG I went for the points. Not a good choice, even at $99. I will not stay here again. There are SO MANY better hotels in Vegas. $15 resort fee? I complained bitterly to the front desk and it was removed from the bill. What a joke. Lots of people obviously complain and the staff will begrudgingly remove the charge. One staff member said the owner instituted the charge to up revenue and could care less what impression it makes on guests. OOPS.
If you walk from the strip to this hotel which is about 1/2 mile off the strip you'll be walking past a bunch of dingy strung out street people. We got asked for money, for sex and for drinks on our late night walks back to the hotel because we weren't about to sit around an ugly dated hotel or hang out in the ugly dated casino. The casino is small and dingy, ceilings are low in the hallways and rooms because the place is OLD, view from the rooms suck. I wouldn't even tell my in-laws to stay here.
There are lots of decent three star hotels on the strip that beat this hands down. Just because you belong to Starwood don't make the mistake of staying here. It's really not worth it. We were completely underwhelmed.
Unfortunately now that Planet Hollywood is no longer part of Sheraton, this hotel will probably get a bump in Starwood bookings just because some people automatically book a Starwood property to get their points. That's one mistake we won't make again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank PDXStocks
Alpharetta, GA
Reviewed January 14, 2010

This property really doesn't belong in the Westin chain. The views are uninspiring as it is not right on the strip. Decent price. Rather low key atmosphere and casino--no flash or dazzle. Room and bar area was unispiring. Vegas has too many other choices to consider this one again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank 89VTGuy
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2010

Two buddies and I stayed at the Westin Las Vegas back in October 2009. It was a nice hotel with the "heavenly beds", clean rooms, bathrooms were well stocked. Rooms were okay in size, but we didnt' spend much time in them. Overall, not the WESTIN experience I expected..almost seemed like they bought an older property (Holiday Inn or something like that) and remodelled it under the Westin name. We joked that it was the YMCA of the Westin chain. A bit of an exagerration because it was a nice place to stay. I'd compare it to a 4 star Westin or a 5 Star Holiday Inn.

The rooftop pool was average at best, small pool for Las Vegas...but it was clean and secure too. We could order drinks from a phone by the pool.

There was only one restaurant choice, so we ate elsewhere all week. We booked the room through Priceline and upon check-in we were charged and extra $15 / night resort fee. Which was to cover the free daily newspaper (who reads that in Vegas), Starbucks coffee in the room (isn't that just standard) and the 5pm to 7pm Happy Hour (HELLO!!!!). Needless to say, we made up our $15 per night at the happy hour!

Overall, it was a good 4 night stay with a couple buddies. If I was travelling with my girlfriend or wife and wanted something with a nice pool, or amenities, I would stay at a bigger hotel on the strip. We paid $90 / night average (Plus the $15 Resort fee)...I think we could've stayed at the Mirage or MGM for more comparable price.

The hotel was about a 5 minute walk from the Strip, but once on the strip you are dead centre of the action. Then the hotel was quiet once we returned.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 12, 2010

This is my second time staying at the Westin Casuarina during New Year's in Vegas, and we chose it because it is a good deal for being one block from the Strip. The rooms fit the Westin standard of being well appointed to and comfortable Heavenly beds. The hotel is one long block from the Strip and across from Bally's and behind Bill's Casino, good location.

My problem with this hotel this time around is that they did not tell us we were going to be charged a service cleaning fee of $15/night. I have never heard of this fee and the fact that they did not mention this upon check in or upon making the reservation is appalling. Hotels always come with cleaning service, AND if I knew we had to pay for it, I would have chosen to not get the room tended to.

Also, the casino manager was very inappropriate. While we were playing at the small casino downstairs, the manager was very touchy feely with everyone around and very inappropriate. We had to leave the casino due to the uncomfortable situation.

Either way I would stay somewhere else on the Strip and skip the Westin except on big night events when this is the only affordable hotel left.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family