“pleasantly surprised”

The Westin Las Vegas Hotel & Spa
Ranked #94 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 2, 2005

I have to say that my husband and I were very pleasantly surprised by the Westin in Vegas. We were there 4/26-5/1. We were admittedly disappointed when we won our bid with Priceline at the Westin. In fact, we really complained to the powers that be at Priceline (not because of the Westin, but because it is not what you think of when you bid for a Vegas strip hotel), but finally resolved to go into it with an open mind. We had read some reviews here on TripAdvisor and they were overall very positive so off we went!

Check in was smooth as can be, no long lines, no problems at all and a bellman met us curbside and took our luggage. This was a big plus for us because as we walked through other strip hotels - Luxor, MGM, etc...check in lines were 50-60 deep all hauling around their own luggage - no thanks! Our room was clean, a little on the small side but nice all the same-quiet too. The view was not so great - a parking lot. We never used room service, breakfast at the SilverPeak Grill was Ok, loved having Starbucks though. Housekeeping was efficient, and the Heavenly Bed and Shower were just that. The Spa was terrific. My husband and I had the couples massage and it was the best massage I had had in a long time - even better than the one at Canyon Ranch in the Venetian (although the Canyon Ranch is much larger and has more "glamorous" facilities). Everything was in walking distance - 4 minutes to the strip- and the cabs were there quickly when we needed them

The pool was closed for rennovations all week but the Westin did have a shuttle over to the Aladdin to use their pool facilities. The pool at the Aladdin was very nice - lots of seating- but it wasn't the same as having a pool at our own hotel. The shuttle took awhile to pick up and drop off and overall was too involved of a process and we didn't end up using the pool much which was a bummer. Casino was small and we enjoyed coming back to a small, quiet casino at the end of a long night. $5 Blackjack all the time which was nice as well. Dealers were friendly and helpful and the Starbucks comps were a nice change.

It was a very busy, very crazy weekend in Vegas with the opening of Wynn and the Hard Rock 10 year anniversary and the Westin was a welcoming refuge from the craziness of the other hotels and casinos.

Overall I would reccommend the Westin, especially if you like a smaller more personalized hotel and casino. If you are looking for Vegas style partying 24/7, this may not be the place for you. The value was there and the price was right so if you end up getting the Westin from Priceline, be confident it will be a good experience and enjoy!

10  Thank irishstu7975
Write a ReviewReviews (3,561)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 30, 2005

Room decor was modern and nice. Bathroom was clean, but there were some stains on the carpet. No big deal. Was a little noisy at night from the traffic on Tropicana. Stayed on the 3rd floor. Higher floors probably would not have this problem. The best part was that they accept small dogs. Overall a pretty good stay.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 29, 2005

This is not the place to stay to get a great Vegas experience. If you are a business traveler it has some advantages - good bed, good shower, points...

The decor is dated, the carpets are always stained. The staff is helpful however and check in has never been a problem. The linens have not always been clean. I've stayed here about 6 times in a year and that's been a consistent problem.

The ROOMS ARE SMALL! Get a king size and you get just a bit more space, but still tiny relative to the rest of Vegas. I got upgraded to the "deluxe" room since I was a Starwood Gold. Not clear on what that meant. Same room, different floor, free water and free chocolate.

Fortunately the lounge act was not playing on my last visit. When they are there, watch out...you might be prone to karaoke...

In a pinch - this hotel is relatively good value. You can find rooms around 109 to 145.

3  Thank ShannonLeilani
Reviewed April 28, 2005

I was there for 7 nights last week, and offer the following.

Overview: The main floor lobby and casino area seems tired, and not what you come to expect with Westin. I think it needs a reno. Once you get up to the rooms, the decor matches the level of Westin expectation, worldwide.
The size of the hotel is perfect if you don't like oversized mega hotels.
There was never a problem with Elevators, that has been referenced in previous reviews. The pool area is nice, but rather small.

Location: It is a very convenient walk to the strip or monorail during the day. Being off the strip, I must admit I was not that comfortable with late night solo returns down Flamingo,a street that does take on a different flavour in that area after dark.

Staff: Outstanding ...could not have done more, to make you feel welcome, with a very pleasant approach

Rooms: Small, but have great beds. Found out almost all are the same size, with the exception of a small number of suites for a hotel that has 800+ rooms. The walls are really thin, so hope you get beside a quiet couple. We didnt, and I was jealous.

Casino: Again dealers and waitresses were awesome. Friendly, helpful, and
honest.

10  Thank golfer72
Reviewed April 19, 2005

I'm a fan of the lack of smoke in the rooms and it has the most comfortable place. It may be because the place is so new, but it has the best room for the rate and people who actually know something about service!

I got a box of chocolates in my room even.

7  Thank snotty
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed April 17, 2005

Wonderful hotel! This is the perfect place for people who want to be able to escape from the craziness and crowds of the strip at the end of the night. It is about a 10-15 minute walk to the strip and a cab is around $6. The rooms are SO clean, bedspreads are bright white, bathroom is spotless, big fluffy towels and bathrobes, colors are calming and it is very simply decorated - a nice retreat after the over-the-top hotels on the strip. Gym is free but you need to bring headphones to watch the individual tvs on the cardio machines. Service was great. I would definitely stay here again! Only complaint is that walls seem thin - I could hear hotel doors banging down the hall at night, but this was the only noise I heard the whole time. I was on the 17th (top) floor, so don't know how it would be down below.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2005

Just got back from a lovely weekend at the Westin, and I really can't imagine what some of the other reviewers were thinking. Obviously not a 5-star resort, but we found the room to be very comfortable and the hotel really is convenient to the strip - I would describe the distance as 2 long city blocks, totally walkable. Plus it was easy to get a cab (no serious line even on a Saturday night) and the staff is clearly trying to go the extra mile. I've stayed at Mandalay Bay and Venetian, and while those properties are more luxurious, I appreciated the convenience and accessibility of a smaller hotel. Our biggest complaint was that for a hot sunny weekend there were not quite enough chairs by the pool. Otherwise I'd stay there again in a second, especially if I could snag a bargain rate!

7  Thank LALola