“Kinda Depressing!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Ma
“Kinda Depressing!”
Reviewed March 6, 2005

Where do I start with this review! Perhaps, check in? The valet and front desk staff are very nice and professional! Always quick with a smile and they remembered my name often! But, my wife and I sensed something was wrong! The Vegas energy and vibe you expect to receive, just wasn't there at the Westin! The colors and decor of the rooms are sorta muted and dull and we got the feeling of depression...I think this makes sense...lol! But, for the low priceline price we paid, we were happy!

So here are just the facts as I see 'em...The casino is small...11 tables, The Starbucks does not accept the Starbucks Card...disappointing, The elevators are slow....3-5 minute wait is average, The rooms are quiet, but there is a fire or police station near by and they scream down the street hourly...annoying...The beds and bath are great, but not worth the money...The location is less than a quarter mile to the strip...a bit of a pain to walk...Stay elsewhere if you have a few more dollars.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank TeacherAthlete

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 3, 2005

This was a great hotel. Great location and wonderful layout. It was so nice to not have a mile walk to get to your room! The casino was LOOSE! I won every time we walked though. LOVED THE HOTEL.

• Stayed February 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NYC
Reviewed February 21, 2005

I hate to say it but, this hotel is the PITS. We arrived late evening and were eventually assigned a room, only to find that someone else was already sleeping there. Embarassing to say the least!!!

When we went back to the desk, we were reassigned to another room with paper thin walls, so we were able to hear everything going on in the adjoining room. On the 3rd try, we finally were able to get into a quiet room so we could sleep. The beds were pretty nice. On the way up to the room though, another guest told us the same thing (another guest already in the room) happened to her. Our room also hadn't been cleaned very well but, I wasn't about to complain since it did no good anyway.

The SPA is wonderful. Great massage in a very relaxing atmoshere. If only the SPA designer could get involved in designing and running the hotel!! The elevators are not programmed correctly, so we had to wait for long periods to get down to the lobby.

There is only one restaurant with mediocre food. I thought Starbucks in New York was expensive. The prices in Starbucks in the hotel were downright insulting. Any port in a storm but, this ship is sinking.

5 Thank darsil325
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed January 31, 2005

If you're looking for a hotel that is "hopping" 24 x 7, this isn't the place to be. I found the Casuarina to be "just right" for my tastes, however.

The hotel is about a 4-5 minute walk from the "four corners" of the strip and houses a smallish, but fun and functional casino. There are plenty of slots, and enough table games to keep you busy. The crowd seemed to be a tiny bit older here (mid-30's), but there were enough twenty-somethings to keep things lively without being obnoxious.

Since this isn't a "mega-hotel", you'll find that you quickly become friends with most of the other players -- you'll see them again and again. After two days at the place I and everyone else were pretty much "regulars"-- the dealers knew us by name, and we knew each other. Speaking of the dealers, these guys (and girls) were a great bunch -- Friendly, funny, etc. Tony and Rick were top notch! Also, because the casino doesn't get tons and tons of traffic, the table limits were *always* reasonable: During my entire 4-day stay, I never saw anything larger than a $5 minimum.

Bar and cocktail service were fantastic -- VERY, VERY fast.

The rooms themselves are typical Westin quality -- you get the nice bed, shower, etc. that Westin is known for. They are decorated nicely with the standard "modern" Westin feel . The rooms *are* a tiny bit small, but since this property wasn't built by Starwood, what can you expect?

The restaurant was pretty good, serving "uplevel" Vegas coffee-shop fare. Again, service was outstanding -- At one point a host noticed my wife sniffling, and within 10 seconds, a box of tissues arrived at the table. I got in trouble because the host was more attentive than I was...

I've stayed in 4-5 other hotels on the strip, and what appealed to me about the Westin was that I could really "turn off" when and if I wanted too -- I could go nuts on the strip till 4 AM, but once inside my room, you'd never know you were in a party town -- I could sleep undisturbed until 12p without hearing hordes of people tromping by my door. In this hotel, you pretty much can "do Vegas" as much or as little as you want to.

Also, if you're a fitness-type, you'll love their recently renovated gym -- They had top-notch cardio equipment, free weights, 5-6 strength machines, etc. Some of the gyms I've used in Vegas were bigger (Canyon Ranch @ the Venetian), but you paid big bucks to use them. This gym is 100% gratis :)

So, to sum things up, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who:

- Enjoys gambling but doesn't want to fight for an open spot at a table
- Likes being "known" by the staff and other guests
- Wants to have fun but ALSO likes the occasional quiet moment
- Doesn't need to be constantly surrounded by hundreds of other guests

34 Thank RussellnJulie
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 10, 2005

What a nice surprise! After reading all the reviews I was a little hesitant about the Westin. But walking into the lobby, I was instantly relaxed. The lobby was clean the front desk staff was friendly they even made sure we had a smoke free king size bedroom. The rooms were a nice size I am not sure what people were talking about the rooms being so cramped and tiny. The only thing I did not like was how dirty the sixth floor hallway was. It was in desperate need of a vacuum! However our maid service was great and our maid was very friendly, the nicest at any hotel. The decor was so nice I wanted to buy half the stuff for my own home! Gotta love the heavenly bed and bath! The casino was nice. There is nothing better than being able to find $5 tables in the middle of the evening gambling rush. The blackjack dealers were friendly and my husband and I had a great time both nights playing there! We didn't gamble anywhere else. Being off the strip was no big deal it was literally a 2 minute walk to Bally's and less than 10 minutes to Bellagio and Ceaser's! Never needed a cab it was in a great location. Having been to Vegas numerous times, my husband and I don't need to stay in the big budget hotels. We will go back to the Westin next time in Vegas and tell others about our great stay in Vegas.

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
colorado
Reviewed January 3, 2005

We stayed here on Dec 28, 29 and thought it was good in many ways. First, it is a smaller hotel, so you don't have to walk through a giant smoky casino looking for your room. It is a Westin, so you enjoy a bed that might be better than your own, fantastic shower, and other nice ammenities. And naturally, you earn Starwood points and they recognize preferred members. The casino is small, but I found machines that I enjoyed and played a bit of blackjack too. They have a card that tracks your gambling and the points can be used in the gift store, restaurant or starbucks. Additionally unique is that you can use their work-out room for free - most hotels in LV will charge you $20-$30 for this "privilege" since they want you gambling, not working out.

Some points for consideration...
Our check in was not so good and our room wasn't ready when they said it would be. The rooms themselves are quite small...but they have a nice sized tv with lots of channels. The location of this property is convenient, yet not. You can easily get to the strip, but you must walk by vacant lots and run down casinos...I feared for my safety a few times at night, so take a cab back.

All in all, I would stay here again - especially if I needed to for work purposes. But, if you are looking for a Las Vegas Experience, go elsewhere.

8 Thank occupier
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Reviewed January 3, 2005

We stayed at the Westin Causarina the night of 12/27 and was very satisfied. The room was nice with a view overlooking the Ballys and Paris casinos. The "Heavenly Bed" was extremely comfortable. The Causarina casino was not very busy and dealers were very friendly. Overall, if you want a quiet, comfortable Las Vegas experience that is close to the Strip, the Westin is a great bargain.

9 Thank mjogg11