“Won't return”

The Westin Las Vegas Hotel & Spa
Ranked #88 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed here because it was a non-smoking and had a casino. Non-smoking doesn't really apply since Nevada law trumps hotel policy. Anyone can smoke in the casino, which is open to the entire lobby and the second floor. In my opinion, the Westin brand has declined in recent years and this location was a representation of that. The hallways and rooms were dingy. The rooms are not Vegas style. The tubs are narrow and shallow. Satellite reception on the TV was intermittent. There was a barking dog in the next room. Walking to the strip only happened once since there was construction taking place along the walk. We took cabs after that as we were covered in dirt from the construction. I had to make several calls to get maid service despite making the request first thing in the morning. The highlights were a great massage in the spa and good water pressure in the shower. We had friends staying at Vdara (non-smoking) and loved it. We'll try that hotel next time. I also stayed here as part of a Starwoods challenge for elite membership. I'll go back to staying at Hilton and Marriott brands.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not beside guests with dogs.
1  Thank cemckeon
WestinL, General Manager at The Westin Las Vegas Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

It was truly disheartening to learn your stay was not as you had hoped. All of our hotel rooms are 100% smoke free, however; patrons are permitted to smoke in the Casuarina Casino gaming areas. We sincerely regret the difficulties you encountered while staying with us and apologize that your experience was not what we expect to for our guests. Your feedback is appreciated and we will share your comments with our management team. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Las Vegas Hotel & Spa

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I've been to Vegas over 120 times since 1979 and have stayed in everything from the seediest motel one could imagine to penthouse suites at the most expensive luxury hotels. Over 10 years ago, the last time that I stayed at this particular hotel, it was the Maxim, not a Starwood property. I needed some stays to re-qualify for platinum SPG status. So, I decided to try the Westin instead of some of the non-Starwood hotels that I have been patronizing on recent trips to Vegas, in spite of several 2013 complaints on the SPG site from other Platinum members about it being "the worst SPG hotel I have ever stayed at" and "the worst Westin I have ever stayed in". Our experience was a very "unremarkable" experience. Nothing really bad, yet nothing especially noteworthy - except for the pleasant staff members. Positives - friendly staff, our A/C worked well (106 outside!), nice Westin beds, got a personal call from Heidi at the Westin on the following day to thank us for staying and wanted to know if everything was OK. I routinely get emails and some letters as a follow-up "thank you for staying with us", but never a personal call before (nice touch). Negatives - check in (3 PM) on Sunday took a while. There is a separate desk for Platinum/Gold SPG members, but that desk is also for casino players club members. The line here was much longer than at the "regular" desk, mostly with casino club members. When I finally got to the desk, Albert was very courteous, polite and efficient. No upgrades were available - I had checked mid-week and there were lots of rooms available at lower prices (a sign that occupancy levels were not high) but apparently a "big group checked in at the last minute". I was a little disappointed, but I do understand that routine SPG platinum upgrades are dependent upon availability when checking in. I always appreciate them when available and understand when not. Some loud conversation noises from our neighbors room in the early evening (poor soundproofing?) but OK after that. Public areas of the hotel are past their prime and one feels like one is in a downtown Vegas hotel (without as much cigaret smoke). This hotel is just off the strip and is definitely not in the luxury/glitzy hotel/casino category. We did not eat at the restaurant (Suede), but the buffet breakfast was very mediocre for what we have gotten used to at other Westins. The "Hotel Amenity Charge" of $19.95 (or "resort fee") is common in many Vegas hotels. So, to summarize - if you get a good deal or need SPG credits, then this is a satisfactory place to stay - but don't expect a top-level Westin experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

While we appreciate your kind comments regarding our associates, we were disappointed to learn your overall experience was not as you had hoped. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us; we will review all your comments with our team. We hope that we will have the opportunity welcome you back again to our hotel.

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Westin was a very good choice of hotel in vegas. Though not on the strip but within a few walking minutes you will be there. The desk personal was lovely and without any problems they let us change the room to the other side so we have a better view. Rooms are very clean, whatever we asked for was after a few minutes in our room and the pool/fitness is clean, nice and userfriendly. (Whirlpool incl) we would deffinitely choose this hotel again if we go to vegas.

• Stayed: August 2013

Guest satisfaction is our ultimate goal and providing excellent service is a top priority at the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa. Thank you for your kind acknowledgement for our staff; your comments will be shared with everyone here. We are elated that your experience was so positive and hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel before which is why we chose to stay again. The location is convenient and the free self parking is convenient. We have a dog and this is why we stay here. The staff are friendly and helpful. I have three complaints; the room did not have a fridge, the price of the breakfast is pricey, a buffet breakfast of $18.00 may be something for someone who is hungry but an egg, toast and coffee for $16.00 is hard to accept. I noticed several guests that ordered the buffet and only chose a small number of items. Finally the hotel amenity charge of $19.95 is outrageous. We didn't use any of the items that this fee covers and the hotel would be more palatable if they charge for individual items and/or services.

Room Tip: Book early they seem to fill up fast.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinL, General Manager at The Westin Las Vegas Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa for your stay in the area. We were happy to welcome you back for another stay and glad that our location, staff, and pet friendly policy were all things that you found beneficial. As you pointed out, our hotel does have an amenity charge. This fee covers a variety of amenities such as high-speed Wi-Fi internet access, valet and self-parking, two bottles of water per guestroom, use of our Hibiscus Spa's sauna and steam room and much more. Complete details are available on our website. Thank you again for your review, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is my 3rd time staying here for business so I thought it was about time I gave them a review. This Westin is located just off of the main strip. It is across from Bally's and behind the Flamingo. The location is very convenient to getting to the main strip to see the sites, especially since the Bellagio is very close and I would walk up every evening just to watch a show or 2 of the "dancing waters".

As for the hotel itself, it is very nicely maintained in all common areas and the guest rooms (well, at least mine for the last 3 visits) have been very clean. Cleaniness is the most important to me and they have never disappointed me. I had room service my first night there and service was VERY prompt and the food was hot and delicious. With the Hilton chain announcing they will be discontinuing room service in many properties, the fact that this Westin still has it is important to me. I travel for business at least 10 times a year, which means my schedule is erratic and I need to work when I can so ordering meals in is sometimes my best option. So, no matter what Westin, you better not stop room service. Yes, it is a convenience service, but it is a service I'm sure many will pay for.

I didn't have to interact with much of the hotel staff other than when I checked-in and out of the hotel. But the front desk staff were very nice along with the bellman getting me the cab.

This Westin does have slots and gaming tables but the gambling area is very small compared to a hotel on the strip. But, what can I say, its a Westin, not the Venetian. I rarely play slots and did not on this trip but as you need to walk through the gaming area to get outside, I can say it was more than adequate for anyone just needing to get a "fix" in gambling.

Our meeting group as a whole likes this location and the hotel. It works well for our small group and the lunches they served us were awesome. I believe their catering staff deserves kudos for their service.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a smaller hotel in Vegas where they don't feel so overwhelmed by the gargantuan size of the hotels on the strip.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Luv2Vacation63

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback as well as your high recommendation, we are thrilled you had such positive experiences at the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa. We are thrilled that we could provide you with everything you needed to make your stays comfortable, enjoyable, and successful. The next time you are visiting Vegas we hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

It's not right on the strip, the pool's a little small, but the staff CAN'T be beat! Checked in late after a delayed flight from the east coast and was welcomed by Lynn. What a wonderfully professional asset she is for this property.
The breakfast buffet is the best but again people like Marcus in the restaurant make it more than just breakfast. This is our place in Vegas. It's all about the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you very much for your review and your gracious praise for our staff. We are honored to be your place in Vegas and thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Your kind comments will be shared with everyone to ensure that those you mentioned will receive the recognition they deserve. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Easy Access to all the Hype and Glitter of The Strip - Without the Craziness that surrounds it. This Westin lives up to the reputation Starwood Resorts have earned even though the facility is a bit aged. From the Valet to the Bell staff to the front desk - the Westin staff provided friendly, helpful service. The in-house restaurant was great for breakfast - we didn't have any other meals there. There's an Enterprise car rental on property and a Starbucks as well. I will happily stay at this Westin on future trips to Vegas.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinL, General Manager at The Westin Las Vegas Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

What a lovely review, thank you! We were delighted to hear that our staff made such a positive impact during your visit and that you enjoyed your breakfast at our onsite restaurant, Suede. What a wonderful compliment it is to hear that you are planning on staying at the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa on your future trips to the area. Thank you for your review; we hope to welcome you back soon.