“Great People - Great”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Napa, California
“Great People - Great”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Easy Access to all the Hype and Glitter of The Strip - Without the Craziness that surrounds it. This Westin lives up to the reputation Starwood Resorts have earned even though the facility is a bit aged. From the Valet to the Bell staff to the front desk - the Westin staff provided friendly, helpful service. The in-house restaurant was great for breakfast - we didn't have any other meals there. There's an Enterprise car rental on property and a Starbucks as well. I will happily stay at this Westin on future trips to Vegas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinL, General Manager at The Westin Las Vegas Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
What a lovely review, thank you! We were delighted to hear that our staff made such a positive impact during your visit and that you enjoyed your breakfast at our onsite restaurant, Suede. What a wonderful compliment it is to hear that you are planning on staying at the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa on your future trips to the area. Thank you for your review; we hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed August 5, 2013

It's a decent hotel and it's close to The Strip. So it's a good alternative to the more expensive casino hotels. But the staff at check-in ignored us and then was not helpful. I asked for a map of the hotel but was told I had to wait in a different line to get it. The pool was small and crowded, which really disappointed my kids who barely had room to splash around. Overall, we expected a better experience than we got.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
While we're happy to learn that you enjoyed your accommodations and the cuisine while here, the disappointment shared in your comments regarding the service you encountered at check-in is certainly not the experience we hope for our guests. Please accept our sincerest apologies. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your stay; we hope to have an opportunity in the future to exceed all your expectations.
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for eight days mostly to work and attend a convention being held in the hotel. I admit that I had mixed feelings about the choice of venue based on the reviews on TripAdvisor. I would soon find that it is better to compare the Westin Las Vegas to other Westins I have visited rather than other hotels and resorts in Vegas.

The best thing about this hotel for us was the bell and valet staff. They were always very friendly and efficient. By the middle of our stay, we were practically “old friends” with the valets. My wife, who drove in first before meeting me at the airport, especially appreciated the assistance from Chasen who helped her unload our multitude of luggage. (We regret that we never saw Chasen again as we owed him a proper tip.)

The front desk was friendly. I appreciate how they gave us bottled water as we checked in. (The valets would often do that as well.) Housekeeping was efficient. I appreciate how they organized our toiletries for us and even made a little design out of the belt from the Westin robe.

Our room itself was fine. The color scheme was muted as it is as the other Westins at which I’ve stayed, so no Vegas “pizzazz” there. If one looked hard, they would see some scuffs here and there but it appeared to be clean and well-kept. I do recognize that it’s an older building that the Westin inherited. Two minor complaints – which are probably more personal preferences – would be that my wife would have liked a handheld shower head while I would have wanted firmer pillows.

Our one true grievance would be about the room refrigerator…or rather, what passed for one. While making our reservations a few months before our trip, we noted in the “special requests” box that we would like a refrigerator delivered to keep drinks cold as well as allow for a bit more options than the one restaurant Suede provided. (More about Suede later.) Upon calling to confirm our refrigerator request a couple days in advance, the customer service agent advised me that if that amenity was not available, then we would have the former mini-bar which, while now empty of product, was admitted to be unreliable. When we first arrived to our room, there was no fridge waiting and the mini-bar seemed to be at room temperature; bad news for the drinks and perishables that we had just bought. We called Service Express to inquire only to be told that there was a long queue. We were perplexed and disappointed since we made our request so long ago. I was able to put a few things in the mini-bar but turning the dial inside to get it to turn on/cool down was not successful. So the next (second) day, I called Service Express again who claimed that while the queue still existed, they could have someone from Engineering come up to take a look at the mini-bar. A friendly Engineering guy did arrive shortly thereafter and discovered that the mini-bar had to be “reset” by unplugging then plugging it back in. His effort was successful…at least for a few days. By day six, the mini-bar had gone out again but I just gave up as I was not strong as the Engineering guy to move the chest of drawers in front of the plug. I know that most Vegas hotels, especially casinos, do not even offer a fridge but it was frustrating to have to deal with this over our long stay.

If only our disappointment about the fridge was abated by the hotel’s options…but no. Unlike many other hotel-casinos where the café acts as a loss leader for the gaming side, Suede is apparently designed for the business person to write off meals on their expense accounts. As this review is already long, I’ll suffice to say that we felt the food and the service did not match the upscale pricing. Better values can be found across the street at the Tuscany or, for those on skin-tight meal budgets, Ellis Island. I suppose Starbucks was good for “grab and go” options but I never found much to grab compared to my wife, especially for the similarly inflated prices.

I appreciated that most of the hotel properties was smoke-free. The one exception was the Causarina casino and adjacent lounge area, which I expected. I actually found the smoke to be worse coming from the lounge as it often met me as I came off the elevator. In contrast to the upscale hotel area, the casino seemed designed to attract a low-rolling clientele with its ample happy hours featuring affordable table action. With its tiny imprint – one could probably cross its width in five minutes or less – getting lost in the Causarina is impossible.

I went out to the pool area a couple times. While the pool itself was tiny, it was warm at least during the day. The loungers were pretty comfortable by Vegas standards. I enjoyed the Strip views when I happened to face west. While I appreciated that the hotel staff had installed special steps to accommodate those of our convention guests with mobility concerns, those who wanted to use the hot tub may have been out of luck as a lone set of steps – and no ramp – was the only option to enter.

I did not have the chance to use the fitness center but from peeking in, it appeared to be clean and offer a variety of exercise equipment options.

Overall, my experience at the Westin Las Vegas was okay although it would not be our personal first choice. However, if you’re trying to earn or burn your Starwood points, it’s a decent option convenient to the Strip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tony5969
WestinL, General Manager at The Westin Las Vegas Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
It is disappointing to learn your overall experience with us was not as you expected. We sincerely appreciate that you have shared a detailed review outlining your experience here. Our staff makes every effort to accommodate guest requests and we are very sorry that we were not able to fulfill your request for a refrigerator in your room. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
New Providence, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I visited this hotel this week on business. I liked that it was less chaotic than being on the strip. You can cross the street to enter Bally's at their sports desk and walk mostly indoors to the strip which is convenient in the heat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
It’s wonderful to hear from our guests and learn that our convenient location was appreciated. Thank you for your review and choosing the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa for your stay while on business in the area. We’re glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope that we can welcome you back soon.
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have stayed here twice for business in the last month. Its a nice hotel and the staff are great. The regular rooms are nice. The Starwood upgrade rooms are very nice. It has plenty of parking and is near everything.

Room Tip: If you are Starwood ask for 14th floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Darrin M
We couldn’t be more pleased to hear that your recent visits to the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa for business were such great experiences. Our associates are committed to providing every one of our guests with incomparable service and comfort. Thank you for your review; we hope you’ll come back and visit us again soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed her mid July for three nights and have held off doing a review on this one because I'm still in two minds about it so I will go with my pros and cons of the hotel and leave it to the reader to decide. Pro - if you want something quiet off the strip but still walking distance to strip this is it. Con - At night you have to walk past a homeless group and there ever barking jumping dog. The guys is quiet vocal and intimidating if not stoned but I guess if someone walked through my bedroom each nite I'd be pissed too). Pro You can avoid him if you cut across the road into ballys. Hotel Pro - quiet that's why the airlines use it as a base so if you want quiet this isgreat has a small casino a great restaurant and fabulous hair salon (ask for Nicole fully recommend her). Con - room walls are thin could hear neighbours using bathroom. Pro - rooms are big and modern and clean have everything you would expect from Westin. Con - put a do not disturb sign out after big night out at 1100am housekeeping calls and wakes me wanting to clean room ( really do no disturb means Do not disturb i thought) anyway agree to leave room as cleaner said would be up in half hour came back late at night room not cleaned - no tip for cleaner. Cleaner then decides at midnight she has to clean room two doors down ( I can understand there may have been an issue but all the noise made trying to clean the room, well lets just say i decided to hit the strip again for another all nighter as i much more enjoy the noise from party revellers then cleaners throwing furniture around when trying to sleep. . Advised front desk next day about room not being cleaned kindly said we could check out at 11 instead of normal time - really if she'd checked would have noticed we were Starwood guests later checkouts apply. Apparently could not check out any later because hotel was full - unfortunately I don't think this was correct. This is one hotel I guess which is just luck of the draw as its quiet a nice place unfortunately housekeeping showed little respect for guests comfort and privacy so I would not recommend to friends based on this experience only.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nitemist
Thank you for providing your valuable perspective. We appreciate all feedback positive or otherwise and will use this opportunity to strengthen our commitment to providing the best in service to each and every guest. Please accept our apologies for the housekeeping issues you mentioned; will share your comments with the appropriate department manager and re-emphasize the high standards we have in place. We hope to welcome you back in the future and provide you with the service and experience that exceeds your expectations.
Oregon
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel was a great choice for us. It is one block from the Strip, near Caesar's, but it is low key and quiet. There is free, convenient parking. They welcome pets. The room itself was very comfortable and clean. We ate at the breakfast buffet and it was great, although a little pricey if you don't buy the breakfast package. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CRHOregon
It’s great to hear from our guests and learn that our convenient location, dining options and accommodations all fully met their needs. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa and hope to welcome you back soon.