“Weekend trip”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“Weekend trip”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed here with friends for a weekend getaway. The location is good and I liked that the property was more like a "normal" hotel than a casino hotel. Yes, there's a casino in the lobby area but overall the property is quiet and it's nice to get away from all the noise of the Strip but still be close enough to walk or take a short drive to get to the excitement. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful and even accommodated our group's request to all be on the same floor. They did not upgrade our rooms but did give us rooms on a higher floor with better views. I did notice other travelers with their pets. Nice to know they are pet friendly! We did gamble a little in the hotel casino and had a great time with the blackjack dealers. Overall, the rooms were spacious and well kept. The beds were very comfortable. We also had the buffet breakfast which was pretty good. The pool area is a little small but it was never crowded while we were there.

Room Tip: Our room was close to the elevators and I was afraid it would be noisy but it wasn't! In fact...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
WestinL, General Manager at The Westin Las Vegas Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We are thrilled that your weekend getaway to Las Vegas included a stay with us and we appreciate you sharing your feedback. Our location, just one block from the Las Vegas Strip gives our guests the chance to explore the area and enjoy a quiet retreat at the end of the day and we are happy you were able to experience that as well. It was a pleasure to have had you here and we hope to welcome you back to the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Courseulles-sur-Mer, France
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed there for 5 nights with my family over the Easter break. Location is great, close to the Strip without the inconvenience. However, the hotel falls short of usual Westin expectations. The breakfast buffet is very limited in choice and the food is less than average. Noise insulation is poor and you will be disturbed at night by the traffic outside. The gentleman handling the Starwood Preferred Guest check-in counter was very helpful but he was pretty much the only one...
Other staff tend to be either not interested in helping you or even arrogant.
I won't be back unless Westin get their act together and seriously upgrade this place.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking Flamingo Rd, they are noisy
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
When staying at the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa it is our hope that our guests are able to relax and enjoy their quiet retreat. I am disappointed to learn your stay did not provide you that experience and we thank you for sharing your comments. Your loyalty to the Starwood Brand is truly appreciated and we hope to welcome you back to renew your trust.
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here for a 4-day conference at a nearby hotel on the strip. Truth be told, I stayed here due to their affiliation with Starwood. I do, after all, need to stay at Starwood properties if I want to retain Gold SPG status (Planet Hollywood used to be an SPG property, and I certainly wish it still were). Other than that, I can't think of a good reason to stay here. On the plus side, the place is clean, and the staff is friendly. I've stayed at a lot of hotels in Las Vegas, however, and this place has a lot of drawback compared to most of them.
First, and most important to me, was that these rooms are very poorly insulated. I could hear the goings-on in the room next door, and there's lots of emergency vehicle noise coming from not only Flamingo Road, on which the hotel is located, but even from the Strip, 250 meters away. I definitely heard more noise from the Strip in this hotel than I heard from hotels in which I've stayed ON the strip (i.e. Planet Hollywood, Flamingo, Palazzo). I certainly couldn't have slept without earplugs.
Second, the rooms are smaller and more outdated than most other rooms I've seen in town. The work desk has only a single electrical outlet (near the floor), and there's no phone on the desk. When I had to call the help desk because of computer connection problems, I had to move the laptop from the desk to the bed, where the only phone is.
Third, this hotel has one of the smaller swimming pools I've seen in town, and it has a maximum depth of 5'9". It's OK if you want peace an quiet, but probably not for the pool scene (not that I had much of a chance, since the conference I attended ran from 7 AM to 9 PM).
Fourth, while this hotel is a fairly easy walking distance to the strip (250 meters) and the nearest monorail station (150 meters), anybody staying here needs to realize that you'll need to walk around a number of homeless people and their dogs to get there. It wasn't a big deal for me, but it might be an issue for a single woman.
I can't say that I disliked the place, but I think this hotel really needs updating, especially when it comes to sound-proofing. To be quite frank, I would only stay here again if I had to in order to maintain SPG status...

Room Tip: Even-numbered rooms have a back-view of the Strip.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank lebelgo
We strive to maintain the highest level of service, hospitality and comfort for our guests at the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa, so we were disappointed to learn your did not have that experience while here. Thank you for taking the time to share your visit and we hope you have the opportunity to visit us again to enjoy our hotel.
San Diego
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Its a clean hotel but nothing jumps out at you that your anywhere nice. The casino is very small and has a feel of being a cruise ship casino. Nothing about this Hotel made me remember it. Just a clean 'blah' hotel that got the job done. Probably wouldn't come back unless the price jumps out at me.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experiences regarding your stay. We hope to provide a positive experience for all of our guests and we appreciate your feedback. Comments like yours help us to improve in the services offered and we hope to welcome you back to the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa the next time you are in Las Vegas.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2013

When I arrived at the hotel I was a little early, waited around the lobby till 3pm (check-in time) and asked if my room was ready. I've just arrived from my flight and it was my first time in Las Vegas. The front desk person said no, I don't understand why there would be no rooms available....As well, the front desk people didn't look jolly or welcoming. I've stayed at many Westin Hotels and this by far has to be one of the worse in customer service! On a positive note, the hotel room was not bad, the room was clean and the beds were comfy. The location was okay... not that far of a walk from the strip, and easy access to their public transit. Another complaint I have is that the hotel charged me for two rooms when I only stayed in one. I made several adjustments to my reservations previously, but I confirmed and finalized that I only wanted one room during my stay. When I went back home I had saw on my credit card bill that I was charged twice, I was really upset and called Westin right away with my concern. The lady on the phone who was also rude, gave me a hard time insisting that I reserved two rooms, clearly I didn't. I have proof on my email. You could barely hear her voice, and in between she would pause for long periods of time and I would keep saying "Hello". I honestly wasn't pleased with my phone conversation with her. Overall, my stay here was okay but the customer service was very, very disappointing!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestinL, General Manager at The Westin Las Vegas Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
We appreciate you bringing these points to our attention. We strive to deliver the highest level of customer satisfaction to each of our guests and we regret any difficulties you may have experienced. We are happy you were able to enjoy your accommodations and hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The staff at the Westin Las Vegas was really friendly and accommodating! We arrived at 9:30 in the morning, and they stored our bags while we enjoyed a really delicious breakfast in the hotel restaurant. We were in a room by 11am -- very clean and comfortable. The pool area was always low-key and relaxing -- and VERY warm! So many hotels claim to have a heated pool; Westin's pool really was heated and very comfortable in the cooler weather! The hot tub was also wonderful! This was a great place to stay, a bit away from the chaos, but still convenient. Never had to wait in line for a cab!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for kind comments regarding the staff. It was great to have you here and I look forward to sharing your comments. Did you know that we are the only hotel to offer an outdoor heated pool that is open year round? We are thrilled you had a chance to relax and unwind during your visit. The Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa is located just one block from the Las Vegas Strip and we hope to welcome you back the next time you are in the area.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This place is actually closer to the strip then people think. The rooms are really nice. Beds are awesome. The casino is very small but I always seem to win there. Minimal TV's etc. Value is excellent. I'd actually suggest staying here with you significant other if you are on a budget.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JW1311
It is wonderful that you found your stay an excellent value. We are located just one block from the Las Vegas Strip giving our guests the opportunity to enjoy the surrounding area and return to a quiet retreat. We are happy you had the chance to spend some time in our Casuarina Casino. Thank you and we hope to see you again at the Westin Las Vegas Hotel - Casino and Spa.