“Nice hotel, reasonaby priced”

The Westin Las Vegas Hotel, Casino & Spa
Ranked #86 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
new york
“Nice hotel, reasonaby priced”
Reviewed November 29, 2007

Me and my husband stayed at Westin Las Vegas hotel for 3 nights. Nice service, great location, would recommend to my friends.

• Liked — heavenly bed
  • Disliked — buffet breakfast variety
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank traveler105

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Newport Beach, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,180 helpful votes
Reviewed November 29, 2007

A couple of friends of mine and I recently spent Thanksgiving weekend in Las Vegas in order to see the Las Vegas Invitational basketball tournament (and to see my alma mater, North Carolina, in particular!). We chose the Westin because we are all Starwood members, and because one of my friends had previously stayed there and liked it. I was quite displeased with this stay, however.

I should first note that I was upgraded to a deluxe room on the 15th floor, though having visited my friends' non-upgraded rooms, I couldn't tell what the difference might be. Still, the room was fine for $178 per night.

My first problem was receiving an 8 am wake-up call on my first morning--despite never having ordered one! I called to complain and received an apology, but being a Starwood Planner, in addition, I asked if a manager could call me back. No one ever called back.

My second problem involved housekeeping. On leaving my room at 10 am for breakfast, I called housekeeping and asked if my room could be cleaned within the next hour; they confirmed it would be. I also spoke to a housekeeper in the hall as I left the room, and was similarly told my room would be cleaned within the hour. On returning to my room after breakfast about 75 minutes later, I was disappointed to discover that my room had been cleaned. I called and asked to speak to a housekeeping supervisor or manager, and was told one would return my call. I never received any call or any message. That's twice now that no one called me back.

My third problem involved (as it so often does) air conditioning. I definitely like my room cold, and always ensure that my room can be cooled to 65 F before I make a booking and before they assign me a room. For some reason, my room became uncomfortably warm all of a sudden after returning from breakfast, so I called to complain (I spoke with a Donnell) and ask if an engineer could come up and try to fix the problem. After 2 hours with no return call or any engineer, I finally decided to call a true manager.

I spoke with the front desk manager, Michael Tegano, who seemed to appreciate that service was not being delivered. He promised to make sure my air conditioning was fixed, to make sure my room was cleaned, to make sure no more wake up calls were made, and to provide some sort of message later with an indication of compensation for my time and trouble and the lack of service I experienced.

Before I had even left the room, a housekeeper actually ignored the "do not disturb" sign on my door and walked in on me while I was dressing. Needless to say, I was quite irritated. I called Mr. Tegano and asked that he not bother me in my room again until after I departed for the basketball tournament at 5 pm.

On returning to my room later that night, there was no message from Mr. Tegano nor any indication that the air conditioning was fixed (or even checked). Fortunately, the room had been cleaned, at least.

I called and asked for Mr. Tegano, but discovered he had left sick. I spoke with another front desk manager, Fotis Tsagnis, who apologized but thought I was being unreasonable in asking for what my compensation would be. I pointed out that this was a comedy of errors at the hotel in terms of service, and Mr. Tsagnis seemed less interested in understanding that I had been receiving poor service and more interested in ignoring the problem.

On check-out, despite Mr. Tegano having told me there would be no adjustments, I did receive about a $150 credit on my bill.

Although I felt the credit did alleviate the hotel's service blunders, I am more concerned by the managers' lack of follow-through and relative ignorance about the severity of that as a problem. That should give anyone pause before deciding to stay at the Westin. For that rate, there are certainly just as nice accommodations and better service in Las Vegas!

Stayed November 2007
5 Thank Bill R
Vancouver
Reviewed November 19, 2007

We just returned from 3 nights at Westin Casuarina. We don't have one complaint. The staff were friendly and accomodating. The rooms were clean and the beds incredibly comfortable. The pool was nicer and bigger than the website photos indicated. They had a "Relax & Unwind" complimentary drinks and snacks every evening from 5:30-7:30pm in a small room next to the restaurant. This is the best place to stay to get away from all the "cheezy" hotels in Vegas. The location is excellent as well. It's about a 4 min. walk to the strip. We would definately stay here again.

• Liked — It was clean, quiet, comfortable and nice staff. Also great location.
  • Disliked — The smell of smoke from the casino. But you can't get away from that in Vegas.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeanjeana
Sydney
Reviewed November 16, 2007

Great little hotel very close to strip and monorail.
Lovely to stay somewhere where it doesn't take 15 mins schlepping through slot machines and smoke to get to the elevators, then another mile to the room.
Staff friendly and helpful and really liked the intimate nature of the property. Spa very nice, gym good, food great, value excellent.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank FFSydney
USA
Reviewed November 13, 2007

Stayed here during a large convention as it was a host hotel. Checked in at 10:15pm with a confirmed reservation for a king bed. Room was a double. Asked for a high floor. Room was on the sixth floor (see picture) Called the front desk and was told sorry a king was only a REQUEST and we try to honor but do not have any other rooms. Mine was not a REQUEST but was reserved as a KING. The guy said everybody else checking in the rest of the night would have the same fate. I am a Starwood member but the travel planner never asked me to provide that number so I gave it to the guy when checking in. He said that I needed to have it as part of my reservation at the time of booking for any special treatment. Screwed again. The room had a musty smell, terrible view (got to listen to the hum of the roof top ac units all night) and was in need of serious TLC (see pictures). I am a Marriott Platinum member but I had no choice for this trip...but you do.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — Service and attitude of the staff
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank marshpit
Toronto
Reviewed November 4, 2007

Had a great time! staff friendly..clean rooms! not far from the strip about 5 min walk to the main strip! i would recommend this place for the price! Rooms were cleaned. stay for 4 days..three nights.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — not much variety in restaurants downstairs of hotel
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mariakvs
scottsdale
Reviewed October 29, 2007

We had great connecting rooms as a Starwood member. The rooms weren't detail perfect... but the rooms were very clean, the amenities (including an IPOD dock) were lovely, and the beds were fabulous. It is a short walk to the strip... but the quiet and sophistication made it well worth it. This is the only place I would stay in Las Vegas again. If you want an intense carnival-like atmosphere, or a disney-like themed environment, go elsewhere. Frankly, I needed a break from the smoke, the noise, and the crowds.

• Liked — non-smoking
  • Disliked — charge for internet
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank azstephany