“Resort Fee?!?! For what!”
Review of Harrah's Las Vegas

Harrah's Las Vegas
Ranked #87 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersBronze level
California City, California
“Resort Fee?!?! For what!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I usually stay at harrah's because it is conveniently located in the center of the strip and is cheaper than other casinos nearby. It's walking distance from the more popular casinos such as bellagio, Venetian, Caesar's Place, and Teasure Island. However, it's not one of the fanciest casinos. You pretty much get what you pay for. Rooms are decent size. Beds are comfy, however pillows are hard. The downfall is that they started charging a resort fee of 18.99 a day and what do you get in return? NOTHING! The pool is so small and there's no Internet access, NOTHING! I didn't know of additional fees until i checked in. Had I known, would I have booked Harrah's? Prob not. Would I stay again? No thanks!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,396)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed at Harrah's for 4 nights in late June 2013. Very inexpensive (part of a Delta Vacations package) and we got exactly what we paid for .... details below:

The Good?
1. location, location, location - right in the middle of things - across from the Mirage and TI, between the old Imperial Palace (now "The Quad" - and that miracle of rebranding is going to get its own post) and Casino Royale, within walking distance of The Venetian and The Flamingo - it was easy to walk to lots of different types of attractions - maybe one of the best locations of anywhere I've stayed in Vegas.
2. the people - most of the staff - from the bartenders and servers at the pool, to the housekeepers, the waitstaff at the shops and the Starbucks - super nice and not at all fussy
3. the second floor Starbucks - often overlooked while the one downstairs is packed - cleaner, better condiments
4. clean public restrooms!
5. The outside bar/entertainment area between Harrah's and The Quad - great location, good DJs, good cover bands, decent bar prices - a great time!

The Bad
1. the rooms in the Mardi Gras tower - tiny, tired, old fixtures and furniture and smelly - that old cigarette and sour bathroom smell - there's no way around this - I was enormously disappointed when I walked in the room the first time and everytime thereafter
2. the pool area - the pool is okay - large, I think it is Olympic-sized, but the chairs are old and dirty, there aren't enough of them and the "fountain and mist area" is just a mess - I still am not sure exactly what they want to do with that area - we were there 4 days and there was only music on one day - just that little touch could have made a world of difference
3 $5.99 ATM fees!!! Go next door to Casino Royale - it is only $1.00 there!!

Overall - I would not stay here again. I am 40-something and comfort and a nice room to come back to are worth more to me than the couple of dollars I saved on the vacation package. However, for the 21 - 30 set on a budget - the location alone is a great seller.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2013

For my second trip to Las Vegas (and my travelling partner's first time), I wanted to choose a hotel that seemed in the "mid-range." We couldn't afford the fanciest places, but wanted to avoid the dives. Boy, were we wrong. We based our hotel decision largely on reviews we found online, and Harrah's seemed to have a lot of good, balanced reviews.

I will start with a few positives.
1) The location was fantastic - pretty much in the middle of everything, we could walk to many attractions.

2) The bed was very comfortable.

3) Housekeeping cleaning service was acceptable (however, see notes below regarding housekeeping)

Now for the unfortunate stuff - the issues started the moment we arrived.

1)Apparently the new practice in Vegas is to try and charge $28 (or more) to check in 2 hours early. REALLY? So instead we checked our bags with their baggage check people and went out. We returned around 5pm, and had to wait over 40 minutes in line to check in. We finally get up to the counter to check in, and found that the requests we had emailed in had not been recorded (as we were told in our Reply email from the hotel). (Also noteworthy, is when we asked for early checkin via email, the $28 fee was never mentioned). The staff were rude and completely unhelpful, and made sure we knew we had prepaid and could not get a refund. (even though this had not been mentioned by us). I asked for the name and email address of a manager and was denied this information initially. Once they finally decided I was worthy of this information, they gave me a piece of paper with a handwritten name and email address. I was unable to read the letters and decided to just write this review instead. Apparently they have no interest in guest retention or solving guests' issues.

2) No WiFi. REALLY??? I had decided to travel light and not bring my laptop, only my iPad and iPhone. True, nowhere do they claim to have it, but it's the year 2013, it's kind standard these days. But apparently not here.

3) Confusing internet and phone charges. The website indicated that internet and local phone calls were included in the "resort fee" (Almost $20 per night). When we arrived to our room, there were charges listed for local calls. When my partner went to connect to the internet on her laptop, she was advised that there would be a charge (I think $13 per 24-hour period). She really needed to get online, so she agreed. I tried THREE separate times to ask the front desk about this, but the first two times decided it wasn't worth spending 30-40 minutes in line waiting. When I finally did find a shorter line, the front desk person (who was actually quite pleasant) told me that if the internet was charged to the room, it would be complimentary. However, if my partner had chosen to put it on her credit card, the charge would stand. Why is this information not made available to guests in a clear and concise fashion?

4) The hotel is in major need of a complete overhaul or demolition. It's so dated and grungy.

5) While housekeeping cleaning service was relatively good, the housekeepers enjoyed knocking very loudly on the door when the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign was clearly displayed and the deadbolt was on. We had very late nights, and were usually in our rooms until around 11 or 12, which can't be that unusual in Vegas.

6) Concierge was so incredibly rude! I was leaving the hotel for the day, and wanted to pass on a message to maintenance that the shower lever had fallen off. It wasn't an urgent thing, but I wanted it looked at at some point in the next 14 hours until I was back again. The usual 40-minute line was formed at the front desk, so I stopped at the Concierge Desk. The reason I stopped there was because the people standing behind the desk were wearing Harrah's uniforms and had Harrah's name tags. I asked the woman if she could simply pass the message on, and that I could even write it down if she wanted. She rudely told me that she wouldn't pass the message along because she doesn't work for the hotel and it wasn't her problem. REALLY??? Vegas customer service has really gone down hill!

So, in summary, I wouldn't stay here even if it was free. While riding the Deuce to Fremont Street, I noticed a motel-style property advertising rates that seemed way more of a value - and they had WiFi!!

Green Features: Like most places in Vegas, Harrah's does not recycle anything at all.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Kevman1980

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Avoca Beach, Australia
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We arrived to stand in line to check in after an 18 hour flight for 1.5 hours!!!!!! Sounds unbelievable but this is very common at this hotel. Front desk service is the worst ive ever come across in the world. Staff all give you different answers and are completely incompetent. On arrival rooms were not available despite us pre booking and pre paying on line. We were upgraded to a 2 bed suite as a result which was reaaly nice and comfortable. ..almost worth the 1.5 hour check in process. The location is fabulous and is really the best part of staying here. The pool is small but ok however you have to PAY for many of the pool chairs with limited chairs for free.....how absurd especially as this hotel charges a $19 resort fee every day on top of your room rate which we did not have to pay as we booked and paid before they started this practice....this place is NOT a resort. I thought this was really poor form.....also no free wifi although macas is next door and it has free wifi 24/7

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Raich-11
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I want to start off by saying that Vegas is so awesome that my bad experiences may have been diminished slightly by the excitement of being there. My experience at Harrah's Las Vegas was themed Extreme Customer Service. Every member of the staff displayed either amazing customer service acumen, or a complete lack of understanding of the concept.

It started with check in. I had a late flight that was delayed quite a bit, so I arrived very late to see a moderate sized check in line. This was the slowest moving line ever. It seemed as though there was a problem with everyone's reservation. The manager and reservation attendant showed no concern for customers, and actually acted in a manner that would imply that the customers were all at fault. I waited in line for an hour before they opened the preferred lined to total rewards customers. The attendant there was great! She was very patient and accommodating (the opposite of the other attendant and the manager). Some people waited in the other line for over 2 hours.

The maintenance staff and casino attendants were all great. My advice is to be courteous and tip, you will be sure to get lots of drinks.

I had mixed experiences at the restaurants that fit my stays theme. I was either treated like a king or like dirt.

One more story. I was given coupons for the Mac King show (which was really good). When I went to buy the tickets they tried to upsell me. It was 5 dollars more for VIP seating. The girl just said it includes a buffet and better seating. Like a normal human being, I believed that this meant that 1.) there would be a buffet in the event and 2.) the seats would be good. The people who didn't get VIP had better seats than us and there was no buffet. They meant the buffet downstairs after the show. I know this sounds petty, but I was hungry. I would have selected the other show time had I known. Also, they failed to mention that the buffet wasn't free with VIP. It was half off. All in all, I had a great stay. I loved the room, pool, and casino.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank derrickmlove
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband & I celebrated our 30th anniversary on June 4th 2013 in Vegas & we stayed in Harrah's Hotel. From the moment we arrived we were treated as VIP til the moment we departed.
All staff were Awesome. We stayed in a beautiful room on the 20th Floor with a great view. All the staff in the Hotel were GREAT, Customer service Great, Buffet was Great, Casino area nice & Clean, Beverage service Great, What Else I can say except "EVERYTHING WAS GREAT". We loved it & YES WE WILL certainly be back.

Room Tip: We recommend the higher floor with the less noise & beautiful view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Philomina P
Cincinnati Ohio
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We decided to take a long weekend to Las Vegas from Cincinnati the first week of June 2013. The resort was packed for the weekend and with the long lines for check in it only took about 20 minutes. We have stayed at Harrah's a few times and decided to write a review this time. We stayed in a basic room with a view of the pool which was very clean and the King Size bed was comfortable with nice linens. The room attendants did a nice job each day. Harrahs is that old time Vegas property with a great location in the middle of the strip. We like how we can walk to wherever we want to go for shows and for dinner. The Range Steakhouse must have closed so we made dinner reservations at Ruth's Chris steakhouse and had a wonderful dinner overlooking the strip. What was new this time around was the construction project outside the doors of Harrahs where the square is. The bar and the nightlife with the bands was still nice but all of the little shopping Kisosk outside the doors were gone. It was remodled in a good way with easy access to The New Quad Casino which is only a short walk through the square. We did walk back and forth a few times from Harrah's to The Quad because they were so close together and we emjoyed both Casinos.
We had brunch at Flavors buffete and enjoyed the service from the wait staff in the casino as well as the Restaurants at Harrah's. We have stayed at several of the larger Resorts in Las Vegas over the years but always enjoy ourselves when we make it back to Harrahs.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. We have stayed in different ones over the years considering our budget at t...
Green Features: Same as all of Harrah's resorts. You get plenty of towells so it's easy to skip a day of adding new ones.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple