“THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY OF HARRAH'S LAS VEGAS”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Harrah's Las Vegas

Harrah's Las Vegas
Ranked #85 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Astoria, New York
“THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY OF HARRAH'S LAS VEGAS”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2008

Six of us traveling together got comp rooms at Harrah's Las Vegas - two others had to pay full price.

Upon checking in my husband requested poolside....I immediately told him that was a mistake because I have learned from others that those rooms can be very noisy. We took the room and since it was 3:30 in the morning when we went to bed the noise did not bother us. The next evening my husband said it wa so noise he could not sleep. So, we requested a change - they accommodated us and the room was nice and clean, but is was obvious that the first room was the updated/renovated room with two widescreen tv sets (one in the bathroom!). So - all I am saying is do not get a room poolside because there is a lounge right outside the pool that goes on all night with very loud music until four in the morning. This was our fault not Harrah's.

The pool is very small and not a lot of space. But we were comparing this to Paris where we had stayed so many times before. Comparing apples to oranges.

All in all the rooms were clean and had very nice bedding. The bathroom was very spacious. If all you want is a nice clean room to sleep for very little money than Harrah's is the place. If you are looking for upscale including the clientele than go to Paris.

The casino itself is very small and very outdated.....and the machines did not pay at all.....not for any of us.

The buffet was good.......Ming's was just okay. Don't miss the Range Steak House - it is excellent!

To be continued.......

• Liked — the room was nice
  • Disliked — casino
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank GiaGiaMarge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tumwater, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

I would give Harrah's a big okay. After reading reviews on this site I wasn't sure what to expect. We stayed in the Mardi Gras tower and our room was better than I had anticipated. While I wouldn't say it was sparkling, it was fine. I liked that this is a smaller hotel/casino, but since it is older they do not have a good ventilation system and the casino/lobby areas are very smokey. It is close to everything and in a great location and I loved that they had 2 Starbuck's in the hotel. Our biggest problem was the check-in/check-out process. They required a $100 deposit at check in off of our credit card and then even after that we still had a heck of a time to be able to rent in room movies. Overall, I would say not bad, especially if you are budget conscious, but if you are looking for something great for a splurge weekend, this is not your place.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Smokey
  • Stayed May 2008
5 Thank ashenrider
carrot79
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

Excellent place to stay at when in Vegas. Located in the heart of the city alongside all other major hotels, it offers shopping, restaurants and casinos only a short walk away. Or if you want, you can take the free shuttle service to other hotels and casinos further away.

Staff was accomodating and nice, and the hotelroom was incredibly quiet and peaceful even though it was only on the 5th floor. The hotel was being kept clean all the time by the cleaning staff.

The cafe served breakfast late, but somehow that visit left something to be desired. The buffet, on the other hand, was overwhelming with all its courses, so a little self-restraint is not a bad thing when eating there. The buffet's breakfast was also great.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank carrot79
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2008

We went to Vegas for my daughter's college graduation. We booked her at the Flamingo and ourselves at Harrah's. First impression of the hotel is when you catch the elevator to your room in the Mardi Gras Tower. It was -yucky dirty and dark as though you ducked into a subway entrance. The button for the elevator has a halo of dirty paint around it-when you go into the elevator-it was not vacuumed-. (corners never )-and it was not dusted-so that the wood panelling in the elevator had dust all over it-. Hmm...I started to wonder...if they don't care enough to paint vacuum and dust what is the room like? The bathroom toilet was dirty-your imagination. Right then and there I wanted to call the lobby-but my husband didn't want to make a fuss and went in and cleaned it. The next day I went to the front desk and told them it was dirty and yucky and questioned if the $50 upgrade they had tried to get me to buy at check-in-was newer and cleaner-because I was so creeped out I was willing to pay more to feel better. She said to me that where I currently was staying was -"actually just renovated". She left it at that-no upgrade which I wasn't wrangling for-no option to buy into anything better. ...it was just bad housekeeping and nobody that managed the casino apparently cared or bothered to walk around and check our their hotel. The Flamingo where my daughter stayed-was great. I know both properties are owned by the same people-which is why I really can't understand why the quality and housekeeping can be so lax in one of their proporties and not the other.

• Disliked — Not clean
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Scoutmm

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Cincinnati, OH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

My husband, son and daughter visited Las Vegas for my daughter's 21st birthday. I must admit we chose Harrahs because we had comped rooms and each time we visit Vegas we stay at the property. I must say, we were disappointed in everything from the housekeeping (did not sweep the floors the entire time we were there) to the casino. I have always liked the Harrah's properties but I do believe this one has slid down hill a bit. Each time I have visited the Las Vegas location, we have been given an upgraded room. Not this time. We had two standard rooms. The rooms were not clean and we had to asked the maid to sweep the floors. The sinks did not drain in either bathroom and the shower, even though the curtain was inside the tub, leaked all over the floor. I usually can win at least a little money while I'm there but not this time. The slots were really tight. In fact, I didn't see anyone win the entire time we were there and we played mostly at Harrahs. The pool was just OK (make sure you don't move the lounge chairs). The food was just OK. Best feature about the whole trip was Toby Keiths Bar and Grill. They have a great house band on the weekends.
Whenever I go back to Vegas, I will choose a different hotel. The way we gamble, I'm sure we can get a room comped anywhere,

• Liked — Toby Keith's Bar and Grill
  • Disliked — The room/non-winning casino
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank HotSlotMama
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2008

After reading reviews on this site, my expectations were set on the low side for my stay at Harrah's (was attending a conference there so didn't have a choice of where to stay).

I arrived early and found out that I had been placed in a newly renovated room. Unfortunately, the room wasn't ready yet - not their fault as I arrived 3 hours prior to check-in time. I was, however, offered a different room that was ready right away but the desk clerk advised me that the newly renovated rooms were very nice and she recommended I wait. I checked a couple of times over the next few hours and my room was finally ready exactly at check-in time.

The room in the Mardi Gras tower was very nicely appointed but one of the smallest rooms I've ever had in Las Vegas. Nice big screen LCD TV, but no HD signal so the image was stretched. This is the second hotel I have stayed in recently where recent renovations included a large screen LCD TV but for some reason at the expense of drawer space. Nice granite top in the bathroom, great water pressure, and a smaller LCD TV mounted in the bathroom as well. Nice touch. The new bedding was very comfortable and the room was spotless each day. No working desk - just a cafe table with 2 chairs, but that's pretty much the norm in Vegas.

Only problem with the room was that the internet jack was dead when I got to the room and I needed to get on-line quickly. First call to guest services resulted in being told that someone would be right up. Fifteen minutes later I called again and told them that I either needed someone immediately or they would have to switch my room as I needed to get on-line. Engineering was there in 5 minutes and corrected the problem on the spot.

I was not facing Carnival Court but a colleague was. I stopped by his room and didn't even realize the band was playing until he opened the sliding door onto his mini-balcony and that's when I heard the music. He was on the 8th floor so either those who complained about hearing the music are either more sensitive to the noise than I, or the renovations addressed this issue as well.

The thermostats do turn off during the day when you're not in the room, but then cool down pretty quickly once you enter. Obviously this has been an issue for some guests as there is a card in the room explaining that this does happen, and that the system somehow knows not to turn off at night when you're sleeping. I found this to be true - room temp while asleep was constant and comfortable.

Flavors Buffet is great for breakfast, but as other reviews have pointed out go downhill for lunch and dinner in terms of selection and value for $$ paid. Range Steakhouse is a great space with a great atmosphere and service, but the food was only so-so. There are better steakhouses in town at the same price point.

Carnival Court was a lot of fun, with two bands alternating and a great bar scene. The Piano Bar is also a lot of fun with Karaoke hosted by a Sinatra wanna-be from 6-9 and then dueling pianos the rest of the night.

Great location center-strip and friendly, helpful staff. All-in-all a much better experience than I expected.

• Liked — Newly renovated room
  • Disliked — Food choices
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
5 Thank grobma
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2008

The hotel is an execellent location. Right in the middle of the strip. Service at front desk for check in was extremely friendly. Rooms were nicely furnished with faux granite countertops in the bathroom and on the table. Loved the tv in the bathroom. Rooms could have been cleaner. Was vacumed on check in but not for the rest of the week. My comforter had a cigarette burn and we were in a non-smoking room. Beds were comfortable.
Would recommend this place to friends. Ate at their buffett for dinner one night (was good) and at the Toby Keith's Bar and Grill another night where food was great. Try the deep fried twinkies.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms could have been cleaner.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends