“Excellent place to stay”

Encore At Wynn Las Vegas
Ranked #5 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed February 12, 2009

Just returned from a 36 hr weekend trip to Vegas with the wife. This is a great hotel to stay in Vegas. Great for couples. Usually travel to Vegas 1-2 times a year and I was very impressed with Encore. Got a great deal online which indicated that we were staying at the Wynn. Front desk said that we would be at Encore. No big deal; they are connected.

The room/mini-suite is awesome. The bedside remote control for the lights, drapes and privacy settings is something I wish every hotel would have. Floor to ceiling windows are nice. Love the rotating plasma tv, and found the selection of international channels very interesting. The bed was comfortable but certain people, like myself, have preferences for a firmer mattress and pillows. The bathroom is great. Separate shower and large tub, dual vanities, make-up area and stool for the wife, and privacy toilet are all extremely nice and clean. The towels are very large and comfortable, and the robes are excellent.

The only complaint I have about the room is that the doors are heavy. I can imagine that some people would find it difficult to open the front door, bathroom door, or closet doors. We did not have any noise problems.

The only restaurant we tried at Encore was Society (due to late arrival and it was the first place we found open at midnight). The food was fine. It's actually more interesting as a place to look into the casino and see the guys checking out the ladies. It's better than any tv show. We ate lunch the next day at Burger Bar at the Mandalay (a favorite of mine - burgers with jalapeno bacon and fried egg are the best), and dinner at Nobu at the Hard Rock. Nobu was pretty good, not great. Had the 100 Omakase dinner. I would say overrated but I would eat there again. Hard Rock is a strange property. So dark, the casino is so small, the poker room is pitch black, and it's so loud everywhere you go, and the front of the hotel is clustered with taxis, limos, cars, etc. Unless you are 21, have a minimum of 7 visible facial piercings and/or tattoos, or are a rockstar, I would not stay at the Hard Rock.

Wife went to the Wynn spa (thought we were staying at Wynn). We stopped by the Encore spa to take a look and the outer waiting area was nicer at the Encore spa than Wynn. Wife thought the Bellagio spa overall was better.

The Encore pools are very nice -noone was there except for one person in a hot tub. It was a bit cold in February. What is strange is that the main pool and the European pool (topless I assume as a sign says no cameras are allowed in Euro pool) are side by side without any type of barrier. I thought that other casinos section off their topless pools and charge a cover (Rio, Mandalay, Mirage, etc.), which I guess increases the perception that Encore is geared towards adults only. Maybe Encore only charges for cabana rentals, as there are many more private cabanas around the European pool than the regular pool.

We walked by Tryst a couple times. It looked like a fun place to be if you're into the club scene. There seem to be a couple different types of lines to get in. Very confusing. I felt bad for the groups of 3-4 guys in line. No way they were getting in.

The poker room at the Wynn is very nice. Fun place to play. Cocktail waitresses are easy on the eyes and service is fast.

2  Thank Darkshine629

Reviewed February 11, 2009

I did a lot of research on this site about this hotel so I fell like I have to add my two cents on here. I stayed at Encore From feb 5th through the 10th on the 28th floor with a strip view to celebrate my birthday.

Checkin: Checking in was nice and easy. I got to vegas really early because my motto when it comes to vacation is the earlier I leave, the earlier my vacation begins. I left ATL at 830 am so when I got to Las Vegas it was only around 1030 there. I got my rental went to a restaurant to grab a bite to eat then went to Treasure Island to pick up some Cirque tickets. Was gonna go to the Fashion Show mall but was exhausted so decided to try to get an early checkin even though it was only 130 and checkin was not until 3. I went to the front desk and explained my situation to Milani and told her that I know checkin was not till 3 but I was just ready to go to my room and get some rest. She said that it was fine and brought up my reservation and had all my requests. A non-smoking room as high as possible, with a strip view, and 2 queen sized beds. She said that the 28th floor was the best that she had and I was very pleased with that being that the regular resort suites only go to the 30th floor and above that are the Tower Suites. I asked her about Tickets to get into the clubs and she gave me complimentary admission for my friends and I for both tryst and XS which saved us at least $20 each for each club per night. I went up to the room and was pleased with the room and view.

Room: The room was very nice and about what I would expect in vegas. I did hear the people in the other rooms but that was mostly at night after they got back from partying and were loud and drunk. I could hear pipe noise as well as people in the other rooms clearly in the bathroom. The only noise that really bothered me was the noise from Club XS. The base was very loud and went on till about 4 or 5 am, cant be exact since I was already asleep by the time it closed. I was way up there and heard it very clearly so I can only imagine what people on the first 10 floors heard.

Other than that I was pleased with the room. The big screen flat panel had a good channel selection with some HD channels mixed in. The really cool thing about it was you can look at you bill online. It was updated to the minute with whatever you charged to your room account. It made it so that there were no surprises at checkout. Just so you know a bottle of water is $8. That was the one and only thing that I used from the bar. When the guy came to reset the bar with a new bottled water he must have triggered it and they charged me for another bottle of water which I noticed when I checked my bill on the tv. I called the front desk and they took it off with no fuss. I really liked the electronic curtains and sheers. The Beds were also very comfortable. We had 2 bath robes but no slippers which I didnt mind because the bathroom floor seemed like it was heated which would be the only place you needed slippers.

SPA: I went to the spa on Sun the 8th which was my birthday to treat myself with a 50min massage. DJ gave me an amazing whole body fusion massage. I was so relaxed it felt like I was just lighter than air. The ac was making some kind of weird noise and he said that he would speak to a manager about it and see what they could do. It wasnt a big deal to me but he was very serious about doing something for me. After the massage while I was enjoying the rest of the Spa facilities, DJ came and found me and deeply apologized again and said that the manager agreed to give me 25% off of my bill for the massage and give me the next day at the spa free of charge. That save me $36 on the massage and $30 on my next day spa visit. I appreciated that very much and felt like it was more than they needed to do to fix something that was not really a big problem for me.

Casino: I really like the casino at Encore. It is small and intimate and it is very hard to feel like you are in a maze unlike MGM grand or Mandalay Bays casino where they go on forever with no end in sight. I also like the music that they play in the casino. It is very relaxing and drowns out all the noise from the slot machines and other noise. I wish all the casinos played music like this.

FOOD: This is something that you should definitely research before you go to Encore. It is not cheap. Not even breakfast is cheap. You are still gonna spend about $15 for a ham and cheese croissant and a cup of tea. I was lucky because I got $100 dining credit which saved me a lot of money. I could only use it at the small deli type shops which was fine with me. I didnt eat at any of the really nice restaurants because while I wanted to try at least one of them out, my friends are mostly burger and fries type people and didnt care to spend $65 dollars on a steak and have to spend $10 for each side item. You can always walk to fashion show mall across the street for breakfast, lunch, or dinner if you feel like saving a pretty penny.

Shows: I saw Le Reve on fri night on the second row. It was absolutely visually stunning. Everything about it was amazing. I would suggest just buying the cheaper first and second row seats. They call them the wet seats but the only thing I felt was basically like a sea breeze. You are not going to get dossed with water at all. I also saw O at the Bellagio which was great as well.

Clubs: I went to club XS on Mon night and though it was a mon night, it was still packed and had a large group of people outside waiting to get in. My friends and I used our complimentary passes and got right in within a few mins. Its probably the nicest club I have ever been too but I cant imagine how much louder its going to be come summer time when it is warm outside and they can use the club for what it is meant to be, an indoors outdoors club centered around the pool.

Checkout: The only thing that bothered me was that the room attendants came 2 times and knocked on the door asking if we were checking out. Around 930 and again around 1030. I said yes but isnt checkout until 12noon and she said yes. I feel that if its not checkout time yet, then give people the time to enjoy the room for as long as they want to. My flight back to ATL was not until 250pm so I had plenty of time. We finally went down around 1145 and waited a few mins around the checkout area and had a speedy checkout. She told me my bill total which was no surprise thanks to the view my bill feature on the tv and charged it to my card on file. She then nicely thanked me for staying at Encore and said she hoped to see me again.

Overall: I must say that Encore is the type of hotel that wants the young and hip beautiful crowd. I really dont think they want families with kids staying there. Thats one reason they dont allow strollers. The feel of the hotel makes you want to dress up even if its just to go down to grab a bite to eat at one of the cafes. The hotels attention to detail shows everywhere, from the small details in the curtains, to the detailed woodwork. While it is a massive hotel, on of the top 10 largest in the world when combined with wynn, they make it fell like a small boutique hotel that doesnt cater to the masses but to a small group of patrons at a time. I will definitely stay at this hotel again. I paid between $100 to $200 a night to stay at a 5 star hotel and could not be anymore satisfied. I felt like I got plenty of value for what I paid especially with the $100 dining credit thrown in. Steve Wynns newest addition will definitely be seeing my business again in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank rupee20
Reviewed February 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Encore for four nights for a business trip. Check- in was efficient and quick, although when we got to our room, someone else was in it - the door was opened by a man in his jockey shorts!! Back to the front desk for a new room! I must say, the suites are large and beautifully appointed. The bathroom was very large with a glass walled shower, tub, double sinks and separate area for the toilet. A large TV was usable from the bedroom area and the living room area. Large floor to ceiling windows allowed for a beautiful view, especially at night. The bed was extremely comfortable. We had no problems with noise or temperature control like some reviewers. We did notice, and keep track of, some toothpaste marks that were on the marble shelf by the sink. They were there when we checked in and never washed off by the staff during out entire stay. They sort of resembled the marbling of the marble, but should have been noticed and taken care of. We also were put off by the signage by the mini bar that said if you moved anything from it or the snacks on top for more than sixty seconds, your account would be charged. I find this annoying. The hotel was very beautifully decorated but there were not enough reasonable choices for eating. Even breakfast was very expensive. How much should eggs and bacon cost? Overall, it was a comfortable, fun time and I would go again if the rate were reasonable.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank MVLULU
Reviewed February 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights during the first week of February. Check in on a Thursday evening took about 30 minutes. Our room was on the 22nd floor and faced the north side of the strip, thus we had a lovely view of the strip mall across the street. We each received a door key, but mine didn’t work. The room looked exactly as the pictures on the website; we thought the rooms were well appointed with a very comfortable bed. However, we never received turn down service or slippers at all, although I loved the lemongrass scented toiletries. We could also hear other people’s voices when in the bathroom, but thankfully didn't hear any noise from the nightclub. Encore is located on the north strip, so it does take quite a walk to get to the other hotels. All the hotel employees we encountered were pleasant and helpful. I would only stay here again if I was able to get a good rate, otherwise, there are many choices on the strip that could have offered the same (or better) experience.

3  Thank pcha72
Reviewed February 9, 2009

We had three rooms arriving Feb 5, checking out on the 8th. One 71 year old (my Dad) my son and his wife (just turned 30), and my husband and myself, late 40s/early 50s. So we have a good rangfe of ages, and we all had the same opinion....not really impressed. Rooms are small...and really not that great. Best part was the bathroom. There was a great coffee area at the bottom of the elevator...perfectly located and good coffee..that was my fav spot. My dad and I enjoyed that area in the morning. Great area for poeple watching!!! The slots played decent, better than the Wynn, in our opinion. My son played blackjack and enjoyed his play there. It is one of the hotels that still is lively and busy. The Riviera looks like it is going our of business, it was so empty...but in our experiance, the slots played better therer!!!! We went to see Jersey Boys at the Palazzo, it was a nice casino, lively as well and the show was the best we'd seen.....the 30 yr olds were not that impressed though ( due ot not knowing all of the music), my dad and my husband and I absolutley loved it. Food was expensive as well at the Encore..we have eated at the Wynn buffet before and even though we were all comped buffets, we chose not to eat there....it really is not that good for "reguar food" type poeple!!! We ate at the zoo craker(name?) place a couple of times and it was okay but for hamburger, wings and sanwiches for 5 , the bill was 125.00. What ever happened to eating cheap in Vegas???? We ate at teh cafe in teh Wynn as well, at the end of the hallway form the Encore to the Wynn and for two premade sanwiches ans one panini, three bags of chips adn three cokes it was 75.00.!!!! That is steppe to me, especailly when the sanwiches came in a prepackaged plastic wrap and were taken right for the refigerator!!! If we had known, we would not ahve eaten there, the display looks good, sanwiches were horrible!!! Overall rooms were truly, just OK, food $$, nice casino. I like Planet Hollywood for a younger couple, th Bellagio still has it over the Encore, and the Palazzo has the absolute best rooms....so for me, I will be staying elsewhere. One more note....all of us never slept worse anywhere, we all figured we got about 10 hours of sleep over three days, and it was not form lack of trying. Our room was really hot as well. We did visit the spa at the Mirage and would nto recommend it either. My daughter in law and I has facials and massages, both were not worth the $$, but it the only place we coupld get into with short notice...the Wynn/Encore did not have room the day we wanted to go....whcih was our fault for not preplanning.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank lisabetty
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I was meeting my wife for a weekend retreat before deploying to the desert. She flew in from Orlando and I drove from LA. She beat me to the hotel so she checked in and waited for me in the lobby. I was so excited to see her and how much I was looking forward to the short weekend I would be seeing her before I go away for the next 5 months! We had a room facing the strip on the 35th floor. We went to the room and the maid was just finishing up? I thought that was strange. After they were done I put my key card in the slot and it didn't work. So I had my wife wait and I went down to the front desk to fix the problem. No biggie, but no apology. I got back upstairs and my wife said that another couple had said they were in that room! My wife told them they must have had the wrong room and sent them on their way. I tried the key and again, it did not work. I grabbed a maintenance man and they let us in. We were tired and just wanted to get a bite to eat. Once in, we started to get settled. We noticed our slippers were missing so we called the front desk and they brought up a set. There was another knock at the door and it was security asking us to leave there was yet another couple with them! Triple booked the room? No. They gave us the wrong room number. So we picked up and moved. 2 hours. No apology, still. I paid full price for this room just like every other customer in that hotel and just because I am not a high roller, this is how I am treated? Not a real caring staff, I think they need more training in customer service. You may want to give this new hotel some time to work out the issues before you book. The slot machines are not the best, there are not that many tables being worked and all the clubs were closed due to some movie production or something, they didn't even bother to tell us. The room was nice, but the hassle and inconvenience put more of a damper on the stay than the rain did.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank wrenchheadcb
Reviewed February 8, 2009

Having business in Las Vegas, I decided to bring my wife and we chose the Encore based on recommendations of others as well as the extensively discounted room rate. Overall, it was an excellent experience and excellent value. The lobby and main floor of the hotel are garish and not to our taste, but that's Las Vegas. On the other hand, we found our room to be large, very well appointed, comfortable and tasteful, commensurate with a 4-star hotel. Since the hotel is newly opened it is perhaps not surprising that some Trip Advisor reviewers experienced glitches during their stay but, frankly to our surprise, the staff members with whom we dealt were highly efficient, professional, and very polite and helpful. I cannot think of a single thing that they might have improved upon. In discussions with some Encore staff, we learned that they had been brought over from the Wynn and so were already experienced with procedures. We can only assume that those who were less fortunate than we were suffered from the inexperience of the newer employees and that this will be addressed as the hotel and the staff settle in.

Although we ate at several restaurants in different locations along the Strip, we appreciated the variety that was afforded us being next to the Wynn, so that there was an ample selection of places to eat at both hotels and at the mall connecting them. Our meals at both the Wynn and the Encore ranged from efficient and commendable (breakfast at the Lobby Cafe) to excellent as expected (dinner at Daniel Boulud).

Finally, we should advise future guests that, having been warned by a Trip Advisor reviewer who stayed on a lower floor facing the pool and the Strip that the nightclub was noisy, we refused a lower floor room and were given one on the 11th floor, on the pool side, which is by far the nicer view. Well, 11 floors is not high enough -- we could hear the thumping of the music from the nightclub into the wee hours. Next morning we spoke with a front desk supervisor who advised us that she had checked out this complaint, having heard it from others staying there before us, and found that you could hear the music many, many floors above ours. She was very helpful in locating us on a very high floor on the other side of the hotel, where we had a somewhat less impressive view but enjoyed very quiet evenings for the remainder of our stay.

Las Vegas survives on its tourism business. I sense that the Encore management understands that full well and is striving to provide an enjoyable, if not memorable, experience to its guests. From our viewpoint, they succeeded.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank adanacsim